Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What kind of texture does the glaze have when it's set? I want to jump on the mirror glaze bandwagon after see it on Bake Off. I'm going to use this recipe because it worked fairly well for Andrew. Most of it will most likely be eaten by others the day after making it because there's no way we'll get through the whole thing ourselves at home!

Do a google for mirror glazed cake and look at the images. Most are stunning compared to last night's efforts.

Good luck to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Speedwell wrote: »
    My husband and I were cooking together in our modest-sized kitchen, and he was using the deep-fryer, two of the burners on the hob, and the food processor, and I was using the stand mixer, the oven, one of the burners on the hob, and the electric kettle. We started getting shirty with each other over the lack of room and getting in each other's way. I told him, "you're the one with the pro training so you tell me how to manage the kitchen, CHEF." He said, "Some couples sleep in separate bedrooms. We need separate kitchens." I'm still laughing.

What on earth were you both cooking?

My husband is only allowed in to the kitchen when I'm cooking if he has a glass of wine for me and stays close to the door. When I'm not cooking he's only allowed in to fill the dishwasher.

My cooking irritation , one pack of fresh pasta isn't enough and two is too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Wanting to talk to someone about what they fancy for dinner but having to restrain yourself because it's 9.00am and normal people don't want to have a protracted WhatsApp discussion on potato options just after breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I made mine with glucose. I don't think I'll bother making it with glucose again. I needed 300g of it and that stuff ain't cheap.
    was this dry glucose powder? it should be cheap enough but can be hard to find. It is often only in the baby food section in supermarkets. It can also be got in homebrew supply places, can be called dextrose.

I know some people resort to buying stuff like glucose or citric acid in pharmacies who can charge a fortune for a tiny pot.

Thats an irritation of mine too, having to decide which bag to buy, will I get 50g of 5 spice powder or the 250g bag which I will never use up but is only 10-20% more in price. Some recipes can cost a fortune if you are having to buy all the ingredients in small sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

rubadub wrote: »
    was this dry glucose powder? it should be cheap enough but can be hard to find. It is often only in the baby food section in supermarkets. It can also be got in homebrew supply places, can be called dextrose.

Liquid glucose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

What kind of texture does the glaze have when it's set?

Kinda like jelly but stronger.
    Fruit pur e is more sticky and chocolate is more solid again...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Goddam it, Aldi, everyone knows plain flour comes in a blue bag! :mad: It's the natural order of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Malari wrote: »
    Goddam it, Aldi, everyone knows plain flour comes in a blue bag! :mad: It's the natural order of things!

I think I feel somewhat identified :o. The other day I sent my boyfriend to pick up a bag of flour, as I ran out mid recipe. "Plain flour. The one in the red bag!"*

I was picturing this. He came back with this (in real life the bag looks mostly beige). It really makes no difference whatsoever, but if there is even a hint of OCD in my brain, it came out when I saw that bag. It just felt wrong! >_<

The next day I transferred all the flour to a different container.

*I wouldn't normally give packaging details, but we've had a few accidents in the past. Baking powder instead of baking soda, cornflour instead of cornmeal, etc. But he insists in helping out. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I have no-one to blame but myself! And I knew what I was buying when I bought it, it's just that when I saw the blue bag in the cupboard I automatically thought "plain flour". It was only after I'd measured out the ingredients for Viennese whirls I realised it was self-raising and began cursing gods.

I probably could have got away with it for that recipe, but at that point my husband came home with bought cakes (:cool:) so I conceded defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In the UK, which is where a lot of Aldi produce comes from, it's usually the other way around, i.e. red is plain and blue is self-raising, so that's probably it. Why? I have no idea.

The colour of crisp packets is another area where this happens :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Bread soda = baking soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda
    Baking powder = baking soda too, because it contains baking soda, and other ingredients...

Now I know the difference between them, but every recipe names them differently so now I am double guessing myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bread soda = baking soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda
    Baking powder = baking soda too, because it contains baking soda, and other ingredients...

Now I know the difference between them, but every recipe names them differently so now I am double guessing myself!!
    I can't recall seeing alternative names for baking powder. Baking soda goes under many names.
    Sodium bicarbonate (IUPAC name: sodium hydrogen carbonate)- baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, and bicarbonate of soda. In colloquial usage, the names sodium bicarbonate and bicarbonate of soda are often truncated. Forms such as sodium bicarb, bicarb soda, bicarbonate, bicarb, or even bica are common

Baking powder has added dry acidic crystals/powder. When it gets wet the acid and base react to give off carbon dioxide gas. This is to mimic yeast giving off carbon dioxide gas as it ferments. If you are making soda bread the buttermilk provides the acid to make it react, so you would use baking soda, not powder. Some people add lemon juice (citric acid) or vinegar (acetic acid) to regular milk if they have no buttermilk. If your mix has no acid, or not enough acids then the recipe might call for baking powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lidl staff must play football with the boxes of cream crackers. Don't think I've ever had a packet from there that wasn't 90% broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Anyone said the biggie yet? Having to cook when you don't feel like cooking? "I thought you were making dinner", my @rse. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

The gas tank running out midway through cooking.

Today the gas tank ran out two thirds of the way through cooking Sunday dinner. Cue trying to muster the huge empty tank into the car. I had to get my dad to lift it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Shaking it or turning it upside down can get another couple of hours or more out of it. Saved us a few times!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

When they leave s spoonful of food in the pot, aarrrgh.
    Either eat it all or leave enough for a full portion.

Basmati/jasmine/long grain rice can get in the sea.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Basmati/jasmine/long grain rice can get in the sea.

Try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think someone has been at the sherry :D

• Advertisement

Try again?

Alun wrote:
    I think someone has been at the sherry

I fcuking hate cooking the stuff, it always turns to gloop. I've tried every method under the sun, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

tringle wrote: »
    When they leave s spoonful of food in the pot, aarrrgh.
    Either eat it all or leave enough for a full portion.

Or in my case, they only put the lid halfway back on, so that it falls off when you pick up the jar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

"I don't want to get in the way"
    Just do the damned thing you were told to do, everyone is in the way, accept it and divvy out the veg and get the wine from the fridge and sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Half raw spuds will drive me to murder some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Alcoheda wrote:

Why ?
    Someone serving you half raw spuds ?
    Or trouble cooking them ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alcoheda wrote: »

Mash with little hard lumps of undercooked potato!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mash with little hard lumps of undercooked potato!

I remember, a very long time ago, I had my first real sickness since leaving the comfort of home and the mammy dinners After a few days of vomiting, when eI finally got my appetite back I wanted something soothing but filling. My then boyfriend said he would make me mash and beans. I was so grateful.
    What arrived on the table was mash which was somehow watery and lumpy at the same time, topped with frozen in the middle, chopped veg fingers, chopped raw garlic and an easy single. I literally cried, the tiredness from being sick coupled with the anticipation/disappointment was too much!

Whispered wrote:
    My then boyfriend...

Too bloody right!

Too bloody right!

Careful now Whispered!

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057686488/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Too bloody right!

He's now my husband. :D

Advertisement