Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Whispered wrote: »
    He's now my husband. :D

Has his cooking improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Has his cooking improved?

Absolutely. He has a few signatures that are fab and he makes great garlic potatoes now. He also genuinely has a knack of making a killer sandwich. Ok that sounds silly in a cooking forum but they're really good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I fcuking hate cooking the stuff, it always turns to gloop. I've tried every method under the sun, but no.

You're probably sick of being told that THIS is the method that will solve all your rice problems, but I really do have a method that stopped me making gloppy rice - for either basmati or jasmine, I put it in a sieve and rinse it thoroughly, then soak for at least an hour (longer's no harm, it'll just cook faster).

Fill a pot with plenty (plenty!) of lightly salted boiling water, add the rice and stir to stop it sticking, then stand over it while it simmers and use a spoon to take out a grain to test for doneness after a few minutes. After a long soak it'll only take a few minutes to cook and if you drain it when it's still got a tiny bit of firmness in the middle, it'll finish cooking in the sieve.

It means I still can't make infused rices because of all the water but it really does make good boiled rice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

B0jangles wrote: »
    You're probably sick of being told that THIS is the method that will solve all your rice problems, but I really do have a method that stopped me making gloppy rice - for either basmati or jasmine, I put it in a sieve and rinse it thoroughly, then soak for at least an hour (longer's no harm, it'll just cook faster).

Fill a pot with plenty (plenty!) of lightly salted boiling water, add the rice and stir to stop it sticking, then stand over it while it simmers and use a spoon to take out a grain to test for doneness after a few minutes. After a long soak it'll only take a few minutes to cook and if you drain it when it's still got a tiny bit of firmness in the middle, it'll finish cooking in the sieve.

It means I still can't make infused rices because of all the water but it really does make good boiled rice. :)
    Feck standing over it; I chuck it in the rice cooker, press 'cook' and wait for it to beep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

RasTa wrote: »

Nope. That's claggy, wet rice, Gordon. Always add boiling water or stock and if you've rinsed/soaked, then 1.5 times volume of water as rice. If it's long-grain, 2 times the volume of water. I cook on low for 12-14 mins once it's come back to the boil. Stir with a skewer, never a fork when done then leave on the turned-off ring for five-ten minutes.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Nope. That's claggy, wet rice, Gordon. Always add boiling water or stock and if you've rinsed/soaked, then 1.5 times volume of water as rice. If it's long-grain, 2 times the volume of water. I cook on low for 12-14 mins once it's come back to the boil. Stir with a skewer, never a fork when done then leave on the turned-off ring for five-ten minutes.

I think he knows what he is doing tbh, nothing wrong with fluffing rice with a fork either

I think he knows what he is doing tbh, nothing wrong with fluffing rice with a fork either

He's cooking rice like an Englishman and forking it up. Forks break the grains.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    He's cooking rice like an Englishman and forking it up. Forks break the grains.

Well I've seen Indians do it when traveling around India

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

first I ever heard of it. I have noticed any broken grains.

I googled never use a fork to fluff rice and did not spot any saying it, in fact most were saying to use a fork. One saying never use any other utensil, several were warning against using a spoon saying it can break grains.

A fork is just a row of skewers really, unless you are absolutely hammering the rice I cannot see how it would make much difference. In the video he is doing it gently.

The most bizarre thing is the comments on that video -very heated debate on whether the ratio is volume or weight, presumably americans who cannot understand that people weigh, one commenter even laughing at the idea of people weighing water. He weighs 400g rice and adds 600ml water, which would be ~600g water.

I do my rice in the microwave, don't even bother rinsing anymore, on the hob I have to rinse. I microwave 1 volume of rice to 1.5-2 volume water.

• Advertisement

Well I've seen Indians do it when traveling around India

I've worked in an Indian kitchen in Dublin and was given the tip from their chefs. I guess it's all apples and pears.

My rice generally gains compliments. Absorption method for ultimate fluff, boil-in-the-bag and drain for ease. I confess that I'll sometimes do the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A food irritation rather than a cooking one :
    People who call sour bitter.

A food irritation rather than a cooking one :
    People who call sour bitter.

This is interesting. Please expand.

This is interesting. Please expand.

Simply really.
    Lots of Irish people say bitter when they mean sour. Usually it's obvious that they mean sour but sometimes it's not.

Simply really.
    Lots of Irish people say bitter when they mean sour. Usually it's obvious that they mean sour but sometimes it's not.

Haha I must be one of those people so. A lemon - bitter or sour? I'm guessing bitter? Yoghurt - sour? What food would people be talking about when you notice this?

Haha I must be one of those people so. A lemon - bitter or sour? I'm guessing bitter? Yoghurt - sour? What food would people be talking about when you notice this?

Yes you are!
    Lemon juice is sour. Vinegar is sour.
    Lemon peel and put can be bitter. Dark chocolate and coffee are bitter and marmalade

All sorts of food. "this apple is bitter", when, in fact it's tart or sour.
    Or "the sauce is bitter, I put too much lime juice in".

Three things that drive me up the wall:

1. Plastic packaging, like the kind you get on bags of dried fruit or rice that tend to tear vertically rather than horizontally so if you aren't careful you tear down the side of the bag.

2. The packaging that rice cakes normally come in; the stuff just...falls apart after you open/close the pack a few times.

3. Bean vermicelli that is in one big bale instead of little separate bundles - the stuff is almost impossible to cut when it's uncooked and bits spang off in every direction when you try to tear off some.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

B0jangles wrote: »
    Three things that drive me up the wall:

1. Plastic packaging, like the kind you get on bags of dried fruit or rice that tend to tear vertically rather than horizontally so if you aren't careful you tear down the side of the bag.

Dunno about 2 & 3 (not heard of the stuffs), but for 1 a pair of scissors is your friend. Snip the corner, dump what you want, reseal with sellotape (other brands are available).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

arian wrote: »
    Dunno about 2 & 3 (not heard of the stuffs), but for 1 a pair of scissors is your friend. Snip the corner, dump what you want, reseal with sellotape (other brands are available).

but scissors go missing when you need them most ;) After the move I have so many pairs around that emerged from here there and everywhere.. I know it is just a matter of time before I am searching for even one pair... I now even keep the poultry shears in the fridge with the chicken ;)

^^^ That's it exactly! ^^^ I can't count the number of pairs of scissors I've bought over the years, but the second I want to open one of those annoying bags they all mysteriously vanish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

All right, I give in :)

Wonder if the missing scissors are to be found with the socks that go mysteriously AWOL in the washing machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

As a child I remember the frustration of not being able to find any of many scissors in the house but still not being allowed to use the "good" scissors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

My husband had a good one once while he worked at Supervalu. Some old fella came in looked at some ready made meal, it had herbs all over the top. he looked at my husband and said "nah looks too spicy for me"

It's not the first time older people have claimed something with herbs is too "spicy" either. His MIL is the worst for it, bit of paprika in the dinner and shes guzzling water like nobodies business and telling us it's too hot and her mouths on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My husband had a good one once while he worked at Supervalu. Some old fella came in looked at some ready made meal, it had herbs all over the top. he looked at my husband and said "nah looks too spicy for me"

It's not the first time older people have claimed something with herbs is too "spicy" either. His MIL is the worst for it, bit of paprika in the dinner and shes guzzling water like nobodies business and telling us it's too hot and her mouths on fire!

Was shopping in Lidl yesterday with my father. Picked up couple of tins of chopped tomatoes with herbs.......the face my father made! It's tomatoes with basil and oregano, not a tin of chopped chilli with added chilli!

arian wrote: »
    All right, I give in :)

Wonder if the missing scissors are to be found with the socks that go mysteriously AWOL in the washing machine?

Try moving house. I am down to three socks and i used to have plenty before the move....Mine got wet yesterday and I had cold feet aaaaallllllll night. Warming them on a nice, warm sleeping cat now... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

FanadMan wrote: »
    Was shopping in Lidl yesterday with my father. Picked up couple of tins of chopped tomatoes with herbs.......the face my father made! It's tomatoes with basil and oregano, not a tin of chopped chilli with added chilli!

My in laws will not eat bell peppers because they're worried they might be hot.

It's a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Shenshen wrote: »

It's a different world.

My cousin told her son this - I try getting him to eat them, and he refuses as they will burn his mouth. No matter what I say to convince him, he won't believe me over his mother.

Shenshen wrote: »

It's a different world.

At a farmers market I traded at years ago. one of the traders passed round a plate of pizza dough slices which he had topped with chilli powder. Nearly took the roof of my mouth off and I now avoid spices...and peppers of any kind...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I drank Johnny Walker Red once. It didn't stop me from drinking other whiskeys. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My current kitchen gripe ... decorative pouring lips on pots , jugs ect..
    I have a copper milk pan that just spills milk when you try pour and I nearly fecked it out the back door last night...
    Ggggrrr

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement