Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Markcheese wrote: »
    My current kitchen gripe ... decorative pouring lips on pots , jugs ect..
    I have a copper milk pan that just spills milk when you try pour and I nearly fecked it out the back door last night...
    Ggggrrr

Aldi milk cartons - spill some, pour some... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I suppose this is a general food, rather than cooking, irritation. You know when you really enjoy a food and you happen to have it then have morning sickness/ vomiting bug/ random stomach upset and can't even think of the food again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I used to work near Marita's (a shop & sandwich bar) on Fenian St in Dublin. Marita has the best doorstep bacon sandwiches. I loved them dearly.

Until the day I got the vomiting bug. That morning's sambo came back with a vengeance. It took me 9 months before I could even look at a rasher again. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Spaghetti bolognese is spoiled for a while for me after having the vomiting bug. Long stringy spaghetti is definitely the worst thing you can vomit up!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I drank Johnny Walker Red once. It didn't stop me from drinking other whiskeys. ;)

This was in reply to my comment re chilli? Fair enough but I like my food to taste of what it actually is not added spices etc. ! Just the way I am and as I get older this gets more defined.

So spices are out for me now. All of them !

Pass the whiskey please? I forgot to buy it when I was out; or rather was too early to be allowed to buy it then forgot.. Want to make a lovely big bottle of Irish Cream Liqueur.... yearn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

When you go to bake/cook something that is not in your *weekly* repertoire and you can't find the equipment utensils needed even though you have them.

Case in point tonight I decided to make Faith's sweet scones (try them - they are the best scone recipe I've tried and I've tried a LOT) from the cooking club.

My centre piece from the food processor couldn't be found (it does a better job of 'rubbing in' than my too warm hands). Cue cupboard and drawer search. Finally located in with the breakfast cereals.

Then my measuring spoons - not in their usual drawer cos 'someone' aka progeny #2 didn't like their Thomas the Tank Engine spoon for eating their breakfast anymore and decided that my measuring spoon was a better substitute.

Large basin capable for holding all the ingredients located in the bath.

Hence why at 10.25pm the first batch of scones will be exiting the oven and my kitchen now looks like it has been turned over by a very unprofessional thief!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Graces7 wrote: »
    This was in reply to my comment re chilli? Fair enough but I like my food to taste of what it actually is not added spices etc. ! Just the way I am and as I get older this gets more defined.

So spices are out for me now. All of them !
    I think you're missing the point of those stories.
    Bell peppers aren't spicy. Not eating them because they will burn your mouth is bizarre. And I don't mean they are spicy to me, there is literally zero heat in them, unlike chilli peppers.

The stories about the old lads where general them confusing herbs with spices.

Not eating spicy food because you don't like spice food is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point of those stories.
    Bell peppers aren't spicy. Not eating them because they will burn your mouth is bizarre. And I don't mean they are spicy to me, there is literally zero heat in them, unlike chilli peppers.

The stories about the old lads where general them confusing herbs with spices.

Not eating spicy food because you don't like spice food is completely different.

I do hear you but I am bad at new foods and peppers do not appeal to me. I did not like the smell and do not see the need ! Used to make a relish to sell so I handled them a lot and never tasted them for the aroma.

I am a total convert to sweet potatoes and butternut squash that to ALDI and SuperSix as they looked such good value..

It IS about taste and texture. And also peppers are the same family as tomatoes which I am allergic to and yes potatoes which I use very sparingly.

We old ones are very conservative and wary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

My cooking irritation today is putting a load of effort into a new dish and someone not trying it because they don't like one of the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

mine today is all the people putting up their clean pancakes,,,

have you missed the point lads!?! youre supposed to make the pancakes our of the flour fat and sugar you have left over so you dont use it during lent!
    feck right off with your mushed up soft banana and some protein powder! 

THAT IS NOT A PANCAKE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »

We old ones are very conservative and wary....

I wouldn't put it down to age.
    My dad is 90 and has eaten chillies, peppers and all sorts of spices for as long as I can remember.

I think you're just fussy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    My cooking irritation today is putting a load of effort into a new dish and someone not trying it because they don't like one of the ingredients.
    Closely related is people deciding they don't like something that they've never tried. Really frustrating imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Today's cooking irritation is brought to you by turmeric, which currently has my hands looking like I've smoked 80 fags a day for my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Today's cooking irritation is brought to you by turmeric, which currently has my hands looking like I've smoked 80 fags a day for my entire life.

Heh! There's a reason I've a separate wooden spoon for use in curries exclusively. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dial Hard wrote: »

Ever tried fresh turmeric?

Grating it can be a lot of yellow fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Morgane

Room temperature butter.

Actually, anything I have to bring to room temperature is cringeworthy because I always forget to do it before cooking.

And the same goes for preheating the oven. Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Morgane wrote: »
    Room temperature butter.

Actually, anything I have to bring to room temperature is cringeworthy because I always forget to do it before cooking.

Microwave works[*1] here :)

[*1] Well, our original microwave worked excellently. It grew old and died. Its Panasonic[*2] combi replacement, whilst being an excellent fan oven (not used the grill), is a mediocre, at best, microwave. Butter molten in the centre, hard on the outside :eek: We've learned to work around its shortcomings, but I'll be celebrating the day it ceases to be.

Also, it seems to take an age to cook something simple like broccoli, which usually works well in a microwave.

[*2]Buy a different brand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My cooking irritation is getting to know a new appliance. Old oven took, we'll say, 3 hours to cook a Christmas cake whereas new oven would have it burnt on the outside in that much time at the 'same temperature' (I haven't resorted to the oven thermometer yet but I have my doubts!), old microwave could bring rock hard butter to perfect room temperature in exactly 4 seconds whereas new microwave takes at least three 5 second blasts to get the outside somewhat less hard and the inside molten. Not exactly a cooking irritation but my dishwasher has a serious attitude problem - if I stay in the kitchen waiting for it to finish the cycle, it will never finish the cycle, but if the phone rings or I've just left the room you can guarantee it will beeeeeeeeep to indicate it's finished. I'm convinced it has some sort of anti-user sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oven thermometer and do a self-calibration is absolutely required if you bake - I don't anymore so I never did it on my new one... previous one had re-written temperatures!

I turned off the beeps on my washing machine - its usually possible. Clunk of the door lock works if I'm nearby and it lets me run it at night (as unsafe as that's stated to be)

My Asda generic microwave is pretty good - find that the ones with convection or grill functions jammed in forget they're meant to be a sodding microwave.

Morgane wrote:
    Room temperature butter.

Half in the fridge and half in a butter dish in the press at all times. Seemples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mentioned in the dinner thread that I made risotto for the first time today. While I was cooking it I had the following conversation with my husband.

Husband: What're you cooking?
    Me: Risotto
    H: is that like paella?
    Me: well, it's a rice dish but not really, it's creamy and cheesy
    H: oh cool, smells nice................I'm just going to throw some coriander in there.
    Me: NO YOU'RE F'IN NOT.

He didn't even know what it was, hadn't tasted it but decided it would be helpful to add a random ingredient. Get away from me! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

My sister rearranged the entire kitchen yesterday.

She doesn't cook, at all. I was like "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY KITCHEN???!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That'd be a hanging offence in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jars of jam and marmalade that have mould on the top after just a few weeks!

I seem to remember they used to last for ages in the cupboard because they're full of so much sugar. Not any more! :mad:

How bout jam and marmalade that ends up mouldy because people dig in to it with a buttery, toast crumby knife? Grr.
    I have jam maybe once every month or two, and about 50% of the time open the jar to find the remains of some other fecker's breakfast!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Buttery knives being put into jam or marmalade drives me mad, as does toast crumbs in the butter :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I stick my buttery knife in the jam all the time, jam also lives in the fridge for me. Don't get mould so much as "this is suspicious looking blob, probably butter, let's take our chances". And the toasty knife in the butter, that's me too.

On the plus side, i'm not the one who butchers the block of cold butter and shreds the wrapper trying to get some for their toast and puts the wonky ruined block back in the fridge. CUT SOME OFF AND LEAVE IT IN THE DISH DAMMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I just run the hot water from the kettle over the spoon when putting it into my mug, then use that to transfer a big blob to my toast. Then I get to lick the spoon too, win win situation :D

Tree wrote: »
    I stick my buttery knife in the jam all the time, jam also lives in the fridge for me. Don't get mould so much as "this is suspicious looking blob, probably butter, let's take our chances". And the toasty knife in the butter, that's me too.

On the plus side, i'm not the one who butchers the block of cold butter and shreds the wrapper trying to get some for their toast and puts the wonky ruined block back in the fridge. CUT SOME OFF AND LEAVE IT IN THE DISH DAMMIT

Ok I can live with all that, just stop breaking into my house :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tree wrote: »
    And the toasty knife in the butter, that's me too.

On the plus side, i'm not the one who butchers the block of cold butter
    That's like saying "the one who never, EVER flushes the toilet, that's me, but I'm not the one who puts toilet roll on the holder the wrong way" -in a completely different league. We just got the sicko in our house their own tub of butter to abuse.

crumbs-in-the-butter_c_1712637.jpg

Advertisement