Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

rubadub wrote: »
    That's like saying "the one who never, EVER flushes the toilet, that's me, but I'm not the one who puts toilet roll on the holder the wrong way" -in a completely different league. We just got the sicko in our house their own tub of butter to abuse.

crumbs-in-the-butter_c_1712637.jpg
    I *always* hang the loo roll in the right way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why does every cafe and restaurant that serves poached eggs seem to think that poached eggs have to be served with hollandaise over them?

I understand that eggs Benedict/Florantine is a thing but this seems to be the only way poached eggs are ever served!

Yes, I know I can request the dish without the sauce but that's like ordering and paying for a bacon cheese burger without the cheese and bacon. Hollandaise is time consuming and probably quite expensive to make. I'd like the option of not having to pay for it.

I know people love their Hollandaise but to my mind, poached eggs are rich, eggy and saucy (when done right). Why the need for rich, eggy sauce on top?

Am I on my own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah bit of a strange one to me. If you're ordering eggs benny it's always going to have a hollandaise sauce

I just passed Arthur Mains and read the brunch menu. Six different poached eggs dishes and all served with Hollandaise.
    Corned beef hash, Mexican eggs, crayfish and smoked salmon eggs, baked beans and eggs all served with hollandaise.

????
    I think we reached peak hollandaise!

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah bit of a strange one to me. If you're ordering eggs benny it's always going to have a hollandaise sauce

Don't know what you're saying, there.
    I'm talking about poached eggs generally, not just Benedict/Florantine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find that strange tbh. I rarely see hollandaise on poached eggs outside of eggs benny or a variation of.

Mexican eggs should obviously be heuvos racheros or a variation

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

It shouldn't be standard, imo, on a poached egg.
    A poached egg is a poached egg. Very simple and delicate in flavour. Hollandaise, while I love it, doesn't do it for everybody. The flavour is bold and tangy and only belongs on poached eggs in certain circumstances.

Don't know what you're saying, there.
    I'm talking about poached eggs generally, not just Benedict/Florantine

Ah right, I've never got hollandaise sauce if I've only ordered poached eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Eggs Benedict were always my favourite brunch treat when eating out. But lately I find that the hollandaise sauce is always too sharp. And it seems to be the fashion now to serve them on a brioche bun which I detest. And the ham is often replaced by fatty rashers. Gross..

So basically not Eggs Benedict at all..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

"easi boil rice" that takes 20mins to cook. I'm pretty sure that's just regular boil and not easy cook at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tree wrote: »
    "easi boil rice" that takes 20mins to cook. I'm pretty sure that's just regular boil and not easy cook at all.
    that must be brown rice. Some standard brown rice packs say 30mins, I see an online site saying 45mins, so 20 mins is faster than normal.

I think uncle bens wholegrain says 20mins but really it is "easy cook" rice, i.e. it is parcooked, but they are just not declaring it as "easy cook". So people might see no mention and then think the "easy cook" is no different from the "normal" uncle ben.

rubadub wrote: »
    that must be brown rice. Some standard brown rice packs say 30mins, I see an online site saying 45mins, so 20 mins is faster than normal.

I think uncle bens wholegrain says 20mins but really it is "easy cook" rice, i.e. it is parcooked, but they are just not declaring it as "easy cook". So people might see no mention and then think the "easy cook" is no different from the "normal" uncle ben.
    Definitely white "parcooked" long grain. According to the packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My nonagenarian grandmother was more active than the batch of dried yeast I have. My pizza dough is currently sitting on the dashboard of my car in an effort to get it moving.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My pizza dough is currently sitting on the dashboard of my car in an effort to get it moving.
    Taking the car for a spin should help

You can buy some truly odd convenience "foods" in American supermarkets. I remember laughing my way around Winn Dixie last time I was over there.

Agreed. Bottled egg whites. :confused:

Biggest cooking irritation? Why every house or apartment Ive ever rented in Ireland insists on having an electric ring instead of gas. When I moved back I burnt so many things because I was used to turning off the gas and then there being no heat underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Agreed. Bottled egg whites. :confused:

Biggest cooking irritation? Why every house or apartment Ive ever rented in Ireland insists on having an electric ring instead of gas. When I moved back I burnt so many things because I was used to turning off the gas and then there being no heat underneath it.

You can get cartons of egg whites and indeed, whole egg, in lots of places (Tesco, Dunnes). Pretty much the height of laziness unless you are seriously immune-suppressed and need pasteurisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I can sort of see the point of just buying egg whites if you are doing a really high-protein diet or planning to make a lot of meringues (can you even use them for that or is there something added to them?)

I find myself skipping recipes that use something like '3 egg whites and 1 yolk' because I always seem to end up with a sad little ramekin of leftover egg bits getting all leathery and nasty in the fridge :)

edit: there's a cooking irritation for you - recipes that use awkward quantities of things like a quarter of an onion - unless its a very delicate sort of recipe I just bung the whole thing in to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

B0jangles wrote: »
    I find myself skipping recipes that use something like '3 egg whites and 1 yolk' because I always seem to end up with a sad little ramekin of leftover egg bits getting all leathery and nasty in the fridge :)
    I'm the same :)

I also dislike any recipe where I have to dip stuff in egg, flour and breadcrumbs. Not only because I dislike getting my fingers all covered in the gunk, but also because if you're only doing a small amount, you waste most of the egg/flour/breadcrumbs as well.

Oh yeah, I dodge them most of the time too - just too messy and wasteful, though it's not so annoying if you have a dog who like microwaved 'scrambled' eggs!

Alun wrote:
    I also dislike any recipe where I have to dip stuff in egg, flour and breadcrumbs. Not only because I dislike getting my fingers all covered in the gunk, but also because if you're only doing a small amount, you waste most of the egg/flour/breadcrumbs as well.

Life is too short to eggwash and crumb ANYTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was reading on ways to freeze eggs a while ago, never tried it and don't know how it would turn out. I guess if they are just being used to coat stuff that will be fried it might be fine.

The worst is making pastry.

4 egg yolks. I hate throwing any food out but wtf am I supposed to do with the white's from 4 eggs. Omelet is out of the question, used to do meringue but with the tart it's too much sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RasTa wrote: »
    The worst is making pastry.

4 egg yolks. I hate throwing any food out but wtf am I supposed to do with the white's from 4 eggs. Omelet is out of the question, used to do meringue but with the tart it's too much sugar

See here....

http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/how-to-use-store-and-freeze-leftover-egg-whites-and-yolks/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Alun wrote: »
    I'm the same :)

I remember me and my brothers used to FIGHT over who got to flour, egg and breadcrumb the schnitzels or the chicken legs when my Austrian grandmother made them. We'd let the stuff build up on our fingers, and then scrape if off with out teeth and suck it off... we absolutely loved that. Yes, I know, raw egg. But it was the 70s, and my gran had been through the war, so a little salmonella was nothing to scare her.
    I don't think I'd do it these days, but they're fond memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The gunk build-up is annoying, doing the flour-egg-crumb combo, but nothing beats the doorbell or phone ringing, or the cat deciding he's going to attempt an oh-so-stealthy goujon theft, for pure rage while breading...

I can sort of see the point of just buying egg whites if you are doing a really high-protein diet or planning to make a lot of meringues (can you even use them for that or is there something added to them?)
    That's who they're typically aimed at. Often have bodybuilders and such on the packet.
    I used to avoid recipes like that. But last weekend the my GF was making an egg white omelette. The yokes were left over so I just threw in in 1 whole egg and made egg yolk scramble. Absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

edit: there's a cooking irritation for you - recipes that use awkward quantities of things like a quarter of an onion - unless its a very delicate sort of recipe I just bung the whole thing in to be honest.
    Oh yeah, I dodge them most of the time too - just too messy and wasteful, though it's not so annoying if you have a dog who like microwaved 'scrambled' eggs!
    Yep, a hungry dog is a valuable asset when it comes to any recipe requiring part of an egg. I don't bother cooking them, just throw them straight in his bowl.

There's some very hairy looking spinach being passed off as "baby" lately. And what's with the crazy long stems???

There's some very hairy looking spinach being passed off as "baby" lately. And what's with the crazy long stems???

Maybe they are Mustard leaves?

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

To screw the customer on weight?

Advertisement