Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Do you know what would be really handy? If recipes put in the weight alongside the volume for any liquid ingredients now that electronic scales are so ubiquitous.

Example: I was just making a carrot cake recipe yesterday that included 150ml of vegetable oil. Since the oil goes into a big bowl with the eggs, sugar and so on, I went and looked up the ml -> grams conversion for oil so I could measure it directly into the main bowl and save on washing up yet another thing. Same thing happens with really sticky stuff like golden syrup, honey or treacle - I am not going to measure it out on a damn tablespoon when I can get it out a lot more neatly with a knife and just measure the amount I need directly into the bowl using the scales.

I have a few recipes that I use regularly where I've worked out the various conversions and written them in, but it would be really handy if it became the standard to include them by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was out for lunch yesterday.
    Salad had Parmesan shaves in the menu description.
    In my experience, restaurants often grate the Parmesan rather than shave it, giving a totally different effect. I don't like grated Parmesan as it blends with the dressing and creates a sticky, cheesy mess. I love shaves of Parmesan, though.
    So, yesterday, rather than grumbling at my salad, I asked the server if the Parmesan was actually shaved or grated. She said she would ask and if it was grated have it omitted. I replied that the chef could always get a vegetable peeler and just shave the Parmesan!
    The salad came without Parmesan!

WTF?
    I really don't think this place would use the pre grated stuff.

Anyone else have a thing about shaved versus grated Parmesan?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

WTF?
    I really don't think this place would use the pre grated stuff.

Anyone else have a thing about shaved versus grated Parmesan?

Depends. On a salad with dressing, shaved is the way to go. You'd be surprised at corners being cut in restaurants and gastropubs, coffee shops.
    In the village where I live, Pallas foods comes almost daily with pre-prepared food , including frozen, battered, pre-fried fish, among all other stuff which is then promoted as homemade, home cooked.
    I believe I know where the problem lies. Kitchens too small to have separate prep room with separate sinks and handwash basins.
    My friend and I are in the process of setting up a food outlet, not a restaurant or anything like that, but we want to make from scratch.
    We'll have 3 fully equipped kitchens (one with a cooker) and we still won't be able to make our own pastry. The place will have 11 sinks (handwash basins included). Dairy also needs a separate corner/space.
    Cross contamination, you see. It is no wonder nothing is being made sur-place anymore and cheese comes readily grated. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Ugh I didn't realise how much stuff is pre made and bought in in restaurants. I know someone who worked in a 5* hotel and he said the majority of the food was bought in. Stuff that you'd expect to made fresh like croissants, were just thrown in the oven from a box.They were also saying that things like their orange juice was freshly squeezed but it was really out of a carton. Also, their steaks were semi cooked and then vacuum packed and bought in. All the chef had to do was throw it on the grill.

Maybe there needs to be more clarity on this issue. I hate to think I'm getting a break from cooking, only to eat someone out of a plastic bag that wasn't cooked fresh on site.

Unless there is a kitchen the size of a small country, a restaurant (or any eatery) won't be able to cook everything from scratch. Sad, but true.
    There has to be a veg prep kitchen, a raw meat prep kitchen, one for raw fish, one for pastry/desserts and one for dairy. Then there is the kitchen to cook everything. Last, but not least there has to be a separate area for dishes.
    Personally, I don't like spending my money, going out for a 'nice meal' when everything is factory produced cr*p.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I just sliced my thumb and nail open with a knife that had chilli on it.

I think I might actually puke with the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dial Hard wrote:

Ouch, Just think, what would John McCain do.. 😀
    If it's still chilli sore try soaking it in milk... Best of luck

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dial Hard wrote: »

One those posts where a Thanks is not good! ;)

Hope you feel better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    We'll have 3 fully equipped kitchens (one with a cooker) and we still won't be able to make our own pastry. The place will have 11 sinks (handwash basins included). Dairy also needs a separate corner/space.
    Cross contamination, you see. It is no wonder nothing is being made sur-place anymore and cheese comes readily grated. :(
    Isn't that level of separation only necessary if you are trying to make products listed as meat/dairy/free on the label. In a working kitchen it's reasonable to make it clear that these products are used in other dishes.

With the cheese example above. A bag of grated parmesan or a block of parmesan take up the same space and present by the same separation issues. It's just a time/laziness thing imo.

Mellor wrote: »
    Isn't that level of separation only necessary if you are trying to make products listed as meat/dairy/free on the label. In a working kitchen it's reasonable to make it clear that these products are used in other dishes.

With the cheese example above. A bag of grated parmesan or a block of parmesan take up the same space and present by the same separation issues. It's just a time/laziness thing imo.

On your first point.
    No, it hasn't got anything to do with that. It is more a case of raw meat, fish... shouldn't come in contact with anything else for obvious reasons. Same for vegetables and other, they need to be prepped in a separate area (with sinks) and only then go into the cook's kitchen and never should they return to the prep kitchen when cooked.
    Everything raw can only go into the cook's kitchen if it will be cooked there immediately.
    How I am going to resolve the problem of making a salad with both raw and cooked veg (ie a green bean salad with raw onions) is still a mystery to me.

On you second point. There certainly is an element of laziness and convenience. You don't need a 'whole kitchen' for grating and slicing cheese, but you do need a separate corner for prepping cheese, yet again with 2 sinks.
    If you don't have that space available in your kitchen area, the only solution is to buy the product readily prepped for your use.

It is absolutely tedious and extremely costly, but those are the rules.

Ps Did you know that vegetables straight from the garden should not enter the veg kitchen? They need to be thoroughly washed before they enter, even if there isn't any visible soil on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

On your first point.
    No, it hasn't got anything to do with that. It is more a case of raw meat, fish... shouldn't come in contact with anything else for obvious reasons. Same for vegetables and other, they need to be prepped in a separate area (with sinks) and only then go into the cook's kitchen and never should they return to the prep kitchen when cooked.
    Raw meat shouldn't be mixed with food thatscreadt to serve, for obvious reasons. By ready to serve I mean cooked food or I cooked food served as is.
    But requires very little separation. Keep the raw meat in its own, that's it.
    Doesn't mean you need a special dairy area, or a raw veg only area.

Everything raw can only go into the cook's kitchen if it will be cooked there immediately.
    Why immediately? Why would raw onions need to be used immediately, for example. Look at a pizzeria. They could have raw onions for the whole day prepped at 9am.
    How I am going to resolve the problem of making a salad with both raw and cooked veg (ie a green bean salad with raw onions) is still a mystery to me.
    What problem?
    Cooked meat and onions, prep salad, add cooked meat and onions to salad. Mix. Serve.
    That's really simple tbh.
    On you second point. There certainly is an element of laziness and convenience. You don't need a 'whole kitchen' for grating and slicing cheese, but you do need a separate corner for prepping cheese, yet again with 2 sinks.
    Why does cheese needs a special area.
    Again, using a pizzeria or Italian as an example. What's the point

If you don't have that space available in your kitchen area, the only solution is to buy the product readily prepped for your use.

It is absolutely tedious and extremely costly, but those are the rules.
    Where is this a rule?
    How come many restaurants will gladly grate cheese at the table?
    Ps Did you know that vegetables straight from the garden should not enter the veg kitchen? They need to be thoroughly washed before they enter, even if there isn't any visible soil on there.
    Of course. Veg has to be washed prior to use/prep.
    It that not a really obvious?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hope you survived. I'd have fainted :o

Hope you survived. I'd have fainted

It was most unpleasant.

Much better today but I've no idea how I'm going to wash my hair later.

Raw meat shouldn't be mixed with food thatscreadt to serve, for obvious reasons. By ready to serve I mean cooked food or I cooked food served as is.
    But requires very little separation. Keep the raw meat in its own, that's it.
    Doesn't mean you need a special dairy area, or a raw veg only area.

Why immediately? Why would raw onions need to be used immediately, for example. Look at a pizzeria. They could have raw onions for the whole day prepped at 9am.

What problem?
    Cooked meat and onions, prep salad, add cooked meat and onions to salad. Mix. Serve.
    That's really simple tbh.

Why does cheese needs a special area.
    Again, using a pizzeria or Italian as an example. What's the point

Where is this a rule?
    How come many restaurants will gladly grate cheese at the table?

Of course. Veg has to be washed prior to use/prep.
    It that not a really obvious?

It looks like you are in the restaurant/food business and had different info than I got from HSE.

It has to be washed and rinsed from any visible soil BEFORE it enters the prep kitchen.

You can pick holes as much as you like, the documents I received from HSE say otherwise.
    Only one section from said documents states the following :
    "Work areas shall be segregated to prevent cross-contamination e.g. separate areas for raw meat, raw vegetables, confectionery/pastry, dairy products, cooked/ready to eat products. Each area shall be self-contained to include a sink, knee or elbow wash hand basin, refrigerated unit and work surface."

"Sufficient space for the provision of all necessary equipment, working space, etc."

"The hygienic passage of food through the kitchen from delivery to service, without danger of contamination"

"As a general rule the kitchen should be between one third and one half the size of the dining area."

That's all I am going to say on this topic as I don't think it belongs in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Hmm. No wonder talk of food safety is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Isn't that level of separation only necessary if you are trying to make products listed as meat/dairy/free on the label.
    That's what I would have understood, and why so many just take the easy option and say the dish may contain any of the allergens they must declare. (this is on topic for this thread, must annoy people with allergies)
    "Work areas shall be segregated to prevent cross-contamination e.g. separate areas for raw meat, raw vegetables, confectionery/pastry, dairy products, cooked/ready to eat products. Each area shall be self-contained to include a sink, knee or elbow wash hand basin, refrigerated unit and work surface."
    seeing the "e.g." it looks like it is just a list of examples of what people might choose to do, not a list of requirements. Of course raw meat needs separation.
    I don't see any problem. A raw carrot or onion is "ready to eat", I do not see why it cannot be in the area where you have cooked carrots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Those 2lb loaf tin liners.
    As soon as you start to put stuff into them, the sides collapse and your bread/cake is on the wrong side of the liner.
    AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tree wrote: »
    As soon as you start to put stuff into them, the sides collapse and your bread/cake is on the wrong side of the liner.
    AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I bought a silicon 2lb bread tin somewhere a few years ago. No lining, no greasing and no sticking. Best thing ever!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I use a couple of spritzes of cooking oil spray to make it stick to the long sides of the tin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I bought a silicon 2lb bread tin somewhere a few years ago. No lining, no greasing and no sticking. Best thing ever!!! :)
    Do you find they collapse a bit? they always seem floppy to me.

In related news, the blasted tin liner clung to the loaf of soda bread and refusing to come out from the corners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't have them but imagined the bread/cake would rise and push them outwards.

I did see some saying there was a difference as the silicone would insulate against the heat, while some metals would have different heat transfer rates. Not saying either is good or bad, it could be an advantage to insulate against the heat. I always remember the outside of fruit cake tins being overdone as a kid, I liked it that way but imagine some might prefer it being more even.

Tree wrote:

In my experience the mix pushes them outwards once you fill them so you end up with a much wider, flatter loaf than you necessarily wanted. I don't really rate them, tbh. Probably fine for a kneaded & shaped loaf but my recipe is a very wet one.

When you grate half your nails along with the garlic cause you were trying to get the very last little nubbin-y bit you were holding it by done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

When you grate half your nails along with the garlic cause you were trying to get the very last little nubbin-y bit you were holding it by done.

Or when the potato peeler catches your nail polish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Have you never finished grating chocolate over a large Tiramisu and then found your nails were shorter than when you started? You might recognise the voice of experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

These are two minor well.

1) People parking their fat asses in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

"I won't be in the way will I?"

Alright not so minor.

2) "Smoked Kippers" - what's that all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The term "tray bake" is bugging the hell out of me for some reason!

The term "tray bake" is bugging the hell out of me for some reason!

My friend, have you heard about the evolution of the tray bake?

DUMP CAKES

ivZywSX.png

https://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/dump-cakes

MMM SO APPETIZING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Faith wrote: »
    Or when the potato peeler catches your nail polish :(

Or catching your finger with the potato peeler (especially the lethal sharp one from IKEA)

It stings for DAYS

• Advertisement

I want to do a bit of baking for a newly-vegan family member who loves cake and it's really bloody tiresome looking for a vegan-version of a fairly standard recipe only to find that it's also had the flour switched out for gluten-free, the sugar switched for agave syrup or something and the butter replaced with something 'just as good but fat free!!!'

Then when you scroll down to the photograph, you see a very carefully lit and decorated slab of sadness masquerading as a cake.

I just want vegan!!!

:mad:

Advertisement