Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

B0jangles wrote: »
    I want to do a bit of baking for a newly-vegan family member who loves cake and it's really bloody tiresome looking for a vegan-version of a fairly standard recipe only to find that it's also had the flour switched out for gluten-free, the sugar switched for agave syrup or something and the butter replaced with something 'just as good but fat free!!!'

Then when you scroll down to the photograph, you see a very carefully lit and decorated slab of sadness masquerading as a cake.

I just want vegan!!!

:mad:

Apparently the keyword you should be using to avoid this is 'unhealthy'. So, Google 'unhealthy vegan cake recipe'. I heard someone complaining about the issue you mention above only last week! I tried searching that and here's the first one that came up for me - it looks and sounds delicious! https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/the-ultimate-vegan-chocolate-cake/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd recommend looking for 'eggless' then doing a straight swap for the dairy; vegetable fats and non dairy milk (I like cashew for colour and neutral taste)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have a book here with the following veganised recipes. Black forest gateau, Summer fruit bakewell tart, double choc brownie cake, Jumbo Jaffa cake, easy pumpkin pie, Chocolate mousse, chocolate biscuit cake. Nothing too odd in any of them (they all seem to be sweetened with maple syrup). It's happy pear recipe book and while I haven't done any of the baking from it, the main courses seem fool proof so far with no crazy ingredients. So I'd recommend maybe having a look at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Thanks all :) That chocolate cake sounds perfect and I'm sure I can get hold of a Happy Pear book locally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

B0jangles, there was a vegan week on gbbo this year, and Briony's chocolate cake from it looked really good. It's up on the website here: https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/hazelnut-mocha-cake/

• Advertisement
Advertisement