Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

We could start ANOTHER WHOLE THREAD on "crap they pull on cookery shows".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thud wrote: »

Some good ones there :D
    “I don’t eat white flour, so I tried making it with raw almonds that I’d activated by chewing them with my mouth open to receive direct sunlight, and it turned out terrible. This recipe is terrible.”
    “I just started Paleo yesterday, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to make this without the ingredients.”

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thud wrote: »

This is giving me such a laugh!
    “I followed this to the letter, except I substituted walnuts and tofu for the skirt steak, ditched the cheese entirely, and replaced the starch with a turnip salad. Turned out great. My seven-year-old boys have never seen a dessert and I’ve convinced them that walnut-and-turnip salad is “cake.” Thanks for the recipe!”

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh yes! is there anything worse than an ingredient swapper? :mad:

DON'T come back to me and tell me my recipe is not nice and "you cant understand how anyone would like it" when you've used minced beef instead of chicken breast, basil instead of chilli powder and left out the tin of tomatoes because you had none! Follow the effing recipe or find one where you have ALL the ingredients or like ALL the ingredients!!

My husband is in a chef training class and they are doing Mexican food today. I am from an enormous city in Texas famous for its plethora of restaurants. I used to live within walking distance of (let me think) yeah, six Mexican restaurants and four other restaurants that had Mexican food on the menu. I did most of my meat shopping at a corner carniceria and bought my tortillas from a corner tortilleria. My sister-in-law is from Mexico. Where I'm from, even the gringos like me cook Mexican food at least once or twice a week or more.

What's my beef? All the recipes he brought home to show me last night were just... well... OK, I'll dial down the snark. They were not the dish. I had to pull ingredients out of my cupboard and recipes out of my cookbooks for him to take in to show them what the proper ingredients and methods ought to look like, and I made copies of his class recipes so I could slash through them like Juan Seguin through the enemy lines at the siege of the Alamo. I had a serious case of "someone is wrong on the Internet", except "in the kitchen". :)

(They'll have fun with my eighteen-month-aged Bhut Jolokia infused oil, though. Heh, heh, heh, heh....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Neyite wrote: »
    Oh yes! is there anything worse than an ingredient swapper? :mad:

DON'T come back to me and tell me my recipe is not nice and "you cant understand how anyone would like it" when you've used minced beef instead of chicken breast, basil instead of chilli powder and left out the tin of tomatoes because you had none! Follow the effing recipe or find one where you have ALL the ingredients or like ALL the ingredients!!

I have a lovely aunt who's a terror for this. She always liked my brown bread, so she asked for the recipe and said she'd report back. She rang a couple of days after, very indignant that the recipe I gave her didn't work at all, it was far too wet and didn't cook in the middle and everything was wrong and I must have made a mistake when writing out the recipe :(:(
    So, knowing the form, I said 'And you followed the recipe exactly?'... and she replied 'Yes! Well, except I didn't have the tablespoon of pumpkin seeds' so I said 'Right, well that shouldn't have made a difference to the bread really, I can't understand that at all' and she says 'Yeah I didn't have any pumpkin seeds so I mashed a banana into it, I can't understand what went wrong!'.
    Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

One of my favourites was a comment I saw on a cake recipe:

"I don't like eggs, can I use something else?"

I'm not sure if this person had ever tasted a cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    One of my favourites was a comment I saw on a cake recipe:

"I don't like eggs, can I use something else?"

I'm not sure if this person had ever tasted a cake.

I love that the first person to like this is Mystery Egg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why do I always invite my family over for dinner on days that the house is like a bomb hit it and has to be cleaned top to bottom before I can even begin to cook?

I'll be fit for the cot by the time the dinner is actually served

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Making "boil in the bag" rice this evening and as I was straining the pot didn't one of the bags fall into the washing up bowl which was full of hot water , washing up liquid and suds....

Sudsy Rice for dinner tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Loire wrote: »
    Making "boil in the bag" rice this evening and as I was straining the pot didn't one of the bags fall into the washing up bowl which was full of hot water , washing up liquid and suds....

Sudsy Rice for dinner tonight!

You could pass it off as a 'foam', even more so if you're using one of the fancy schmancy flavoured Fairy liquids :D
    My cooking irritation for the day:
    7pm Oh great, I have 2 full bags of carrots.
    7:04pm Oh fabulous, all but 3 of the carrots are mush/liquid despite having been bought 2 days ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Speedwell wrote: »
    My husband is in a chef training class and they are doing Mexican food today. I am from an enormous city in Texas famous for its plethora of restaurants. I used to live within walking distance of (let me think) yeah, six Mexican restaurants and four other restaurants that had Mexican food on the menu. I did most of my meat shopping at a corner carniceria and bought my tortillas from a corner tortilleria. My sister-in-law is from Mexico. Where I'm from, even the gringos like me cook Mexican food at least once or twice a week or more.

What's my beef? All the recipes he brought home to show me last night were just... well... OK, I'll dial down the snark. They were not the dish. I had to pull ingredients out of my cupboard and recipes out of my cookbooks for him to take in to show them what the proper ingredients and methods ought to look like, and I made copies of his class recipes so I could slash through them like Juan Seguin through the enemy lines at the siege of the Alamo. I had a serious case of "someone is wrong on the Internet", except "in the kitchen". :)

(They'll have fun with my eighteen-month-aged Bhut Jolokia infused oil, though. Heh, heh, heh, heh....)

Had a similarly disappointing experience when I booked a Japanese BBQ cooking class at a Cookery School local to me. I had expectations of small, delicate, bite sized skewers of chicken cooked on a Konro over hardwood charcoal. I was anticipating a lesson on the history of binchotan charcoal and how it's made. Looked forward to adding a few new recipes to my repertoire.

Sadly, we made chicken kebabs with green pepper on a Webber over briquettes with the lid closed. While it was edible, it was about as far from authentic Japanese BBQ as I am from Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think someone is trying to wind me up here.
    This ticks my food pedantry box so, so well!
    Traditional Irish Stew with chicken or beef???????:eek::eek::mad::mad:

C8MUrRs.jpg

I think someone is trying to wind me up here.
    This ticks my food pedantry box so, so well!
    Traditional Irish Stew with chicken or beef???????:eek::eek::mad::mad:

C8MUrRs.jpg

You mean it's not traditional to stew chicken in Ireland?

I kid, I kid. Obviously what they felt was "traditional" was the fact they served it with beer. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Should be draught beer as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Alun wrote: »
    Should be draught beer as well :D

Maybe it was suppose to be Craft beer :pac::D

Another one from the American recipes oeuvre: it is not a "heaping" spoonful. It's fcuking heaped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I love Jamie Oliver - even despite the names he has given to his children! But:

"Add a bit of olive oil"

*Proceeds to empty half the bottle into the pan.*

'Make sure that it's properly sourced from Waitrose. That way, half a litre of it will be healthy."

I am going to invent a drinking game where you take a shot every time olive oil is added during one of his shows. We'll be legless by the end of a 15 minute meal! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Xaracatz wrote: »
    I love Jamie Oliver - even despite the names he has given to his children! But:

"Add a bit of olive oil"

*Proceeds to empty half the bottle into the pan.*

If Italians are anything like the Spanish, then he just learnt to do that during his cooking trips to Italy. ;)

The Spanish version of this is saying "add a drop of extra virgin olive oil" before emptying half the bottle into the pan.

Turmeric, you stainy bastard. Had in my eat-with-your-hands lunch yesterday and today and now I look like I've smoked 80 fags a day since I was about 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

a girl i work with baked a cake the other week, wasnt that bad but was clearly a box mix(was all cracked and shiny on top)
    one of the lads went jaysus this is unreal , turned out she added a can of sprite to it instead of the egg etc.

im literally traumatised. THATS NOT A CAKE!

a girl i work with baked a cake the other week, wasnt that bad but was clearly a box mix(was all cracked and shiny on top)
    one of the lads went jaysus this is unreal , turned out she added a can of sprite to it instead of the egg etc.

im literally traumatised. THATS NOT A CAKE!

I'm intrigued by this because I want to bake some egg free cakes. Could you taste the spirte? Did it not taste good?

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by this because I want to bake some egg free cakes. Could you taste the spirte? Did it not taste good?

it tasted like pure sugar.

it was lighter than a normal cake batter cake but i think theres egg in the box mixes?

it tasted like pure sugar.

it was lighter than a normal cake batter cake but i think theres egg in the box mixes?

Usually there isn't eggs in those box mixes. You've to add egg/oil yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Ugh, I googled that sprite cake and found a lot of results for "two ingredient cake" e.g. one box of cake mix and one can of soda.

I know it's been said many times already but A BOX OF CAKE MIX IS NOT AN INGREDIENT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

SB_Part2 wrote:

Apparently the water from tinned broad beans/ chickpeas other such protein rich pulses, can be used as an egg whites replacement for pavlova meringue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

SB_Part2 wrote: »

http://www.divinetaste.com/category/categories/eggless-baking/

My ex had an egg allergy so I used this site.

kimokanto wrote: »
    Apparently the water from tinned broad beans/ chickpeas other such protein rich pulses, can be used as an egg whites replacement for pavlova meringue etc.

thats seems really good, i might try that out next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

thats seems really good, i might try that out next time!
    I gave it a try out of curiosity with some chickpea water without very much success at all. It does go frothy, yes, but very coarse, nowhere near anything like egg whites, and it doesn't hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So, in my opinion, the secret to good roasties is par-boiling then shaking and not oil.

There's no oil needed at all.
    Just fat from a Duck or a Goose.... :D

Advertisement