Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with new CPU

Options
  • 14-02-2016 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Upgrading my old build and have run into some difficulty. I'm using an Asus M5A78L-M USB 3 Motherboard and the processor is an AMD FX6300.

Anyway it crashes all the time...usually about 2-3 minutes after booting once I start using any programmes.

Thought it might be the motherboard so swapped in my old AMD Phenom x4 955 Black and the computer is now running with no problem at all.

The PSU is 430 W Crosair Be Quiet and I have a separate 300 W PSU for the Graphics card - an Nvidia Geforce 680.

Anything else I could try or is the issue a dodgy CPU?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

any unknown devices under 'device manager'?

you have a spare hd you could try a fresh windows installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah tried a fresh windows installation on a new hard drive but no joy. I'm thinking it might be something in the BIOS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Tried running it without the GPU? Is there onboard graphics?

Yes, still the same issue unfortunately.Maybe I should get a more expensive motherboard...or should I replace the processor...it's difficult to know what to do because the problem could be anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Barlett wrote: »
    Yes, still the same issue unfortunately.Maybe I should get a more expensive motherboard...or should I replace the processor...it's difficult to know what to do because the problem could be anything

Are both power supplies in the same case? Vaguely remember connected an xbox 360 chasis and my pc chasis with some wire when attempting at dvd jailbreak (it was burning rings into all my discs!) many moons ago as they were running off two different power supplies. Cant remember why though

• Advertisement

Yeah they are, one is a standalone booster that fits in the 3.5 mm slot...its designed to power graphics cards and then the other is your standard crosair at the back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 inmy64

Did you upgrade the Bios? Needs to be updated for that motherboard for the FX 6300 to work.

Advertisement