Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Painting my bike myself???

• 14-02-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I have done a fair bit of work fixing up a dragstar 650 and the last step is to paint it now. There's no way I could afford the 500 odd it would cost to get it done so I was gonna do it myself.
    I spent years spray painting kitchens so I have the technique no worries. However, I have no experience with painting metal and I only have a small diy compressor and am wondering what the story is with water from the compressor in the paint. Is this going to be an issue? Any advice? Would be a shame to ruin the bike now but I just can't afford to pay someone else to paint it right now and I really want to put it back together.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I gave years spraying kitchens myself.
    Yes water from the compressor would be a problem.
    How much is the bike worth?
    Matt black from an Aerosol an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

blade1 wrote: »
    I gave years spraying kitchens myself.
    Yes water from the compressor would be a problem.
    How much is the bike worth?
    Matt black from an Aerosol an option?

I got it for 1600 and am after spending another 1000 so far. With the exception of the paint and a small bit of chrome pitting on the crankcase cover it's bang on now. Not worth a whole lot to anyone but me I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For a bike a few cans of aerosol would give a better finish, just make sure that they are the same batch, trying to get dry air from a domestic compressor would be difficult and you could run out of air I'd trying to paint to much in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would you try using some Plastidip spray first?
    You can get all kinds of colours and effects with the basic colours and the metalizers/flips.
    If you don't like it just peel it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

If you sand it down and have all the paint already bought you can get it done for cheap enough, I had whole hornet painted for only €180.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Bridge9

easiest option is cans of spray. i do this a lot. give it a good sanding. get all your filling and fixing done. then use grey primer. sand again with a light grade wet and dry paper. then spray your colour. a few coats. let it dry over night. sand it very lightly with 1200 wet and dry. the get some polishing compound from any motorfactors and go over it a lot with that. it will give a nice finish and shine. you could polish it after if you want a real good shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What parts are you painting? Engine is a pain in the hole to do if you want to prepare it properly

Advertisement