Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Browse filesystem on another Linux machine on LAN

• 14-02-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭

I'd like to find a GUI file manager that can browse directories on another machine. In this case, specifically, a router running OpenWRT.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I'd like to find a GUI file manager that can browse directories on another machine. In this case, specifically, a router running OpenWRT.

Is this possible?

Filezilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork981

Is this possible?

Winscp which supports scp and sftp.
    Zilezilla for sftp only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks, I'll check them out. Would I need to install anything on the router?

Thanks, I'll check them out. Would I need to install anything on the router?

No, what access do you have? Telnet or ssh? This will determine the way you connect. Telnet is on port 23 and is not secure, ssh is on port 22 and is very secure, Ftp uses ports 20 and 21. My experiences with DDWRT (similar to OpenWRT) is that telnet and FTP is enabled by default but you can enable ssh from the GUI. Telnet although not secure is fine from lan inside your firewall

SSH. Telnet is disabled after you have set root password.
    I'll only be using it within a LAN

• Advertisement

SSH. Telnet is disabled after you have set root password.
    I'll only be using it within a LAN

Then you can use ftp with default port or sftp on port 22 using either filezilla or winscp

Surely for FTP I'll need a server running on the router (on which I want to browse the FS)?

Winscp is doing just what I wanted. Thanks.

Surely for FTP I'll need a server running on the router (on which I want to browse the FS)?

It should be installed and running

On this router, pureftp seems to be present, but not running. There is an entry in /etc/rc.d , S50pure-ftpd, but its not running

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

On this router, pureftp seems to be present, but not running. There is an entry in /etc/rc.d , S50pure-ftpd, but its not running

If winscp does what you need then you dont need FTP. If you want to use FTP then just start it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I use gnome nautilus for that. Use something like this: ssh://user_name@192.168.1.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I use gnome nautilus for that. Use something like this: ssh://user_name@192.168.1.30

I use Konquerer exactly the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I use a package called Gigolo for my Mint and Salix computers to swap files and to push/pull files from my Raspberry Pi.
    I use Filezilla too and sometimes gftp

Advertisement