Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sibe limping

• 14-02-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals, my 8 1/2 yr old Sibe has started limping on his back legs very pronouncedly over the last couple of weeks. It is very intermittent as he could go a week without a bother and another day he is hopping like a tripod. It has not affected his energy at all and even on a "limp" day he is still mad to go for his walkies. I've checked him for any tenderness along his spine as it occurs on both back legs. Checked his paws, ribs, etc. I'll be taking him to my vet this week but just wanted some thoughts before I went in? Am I right in thining that he is a bit old to be developing hip dysplacia? TIA Anto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hip dysplasia is there from birth but depending on how severe the misalignment is the effects of it may not be seen until much later in life due to wear and tear on the joints etc. It could be anything though - arthritis (may or may not be a result of hip dysplasia), spinal injury, or just a sprain or pulled ligament. Rather than trying to guess, I would just wait for the vet's diagnosis. They may want to do x-rays depending on what they think when they see the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

Thanks adrenalinjunkie, I'm still going to take him to the vet, just wanted a heads up. Would hip dysplasia occur now, at 8 1/2 yrs? Is it constant or random because he is walking fine. Even on his limpy days as soon as he is out he is motoring away fine. Thanks, Anto

Hip dysplasia can cause friction on the joints which can cause inflammation and pain. If the misalignment is less severe it will take longer for signs of it to show. My dad's lab showed signs at 5 and a half and progressively got worse.

Thanks man, Shure I'll be taing him to the vet this wek. I just thought that seeing as he is an "adult" that I could have ruled out dys[ascia? Anto

Unless it's very bad a pup would't normally show any signs because the bones haven't grown into place yet.

• Advertisement

Thats what I was saying. He is 8 1/2 now. It's only new Never had ptoblems before. Still full of energy, pulling, tugging, etc....

OP, the older the dog is the greater the chance of complications from hip dysplasia, not the other way round. It's when dogs get older the problem becomes evident even though they have had it since birth.

OK thanks man, I thought that it was something that was diagnosed at birth, he and both parents were hipscored when I got him.I thought that it was something that doesn't occur laterr in life....Shure I'll see what me vet says Thanks a lot for the helpThanks ver much. Anto

What age was he when you got him? Dogs can't have hip scores done until they are at least a year old.

Did you see the vet OP? What did they say?

• Advertisement
Advertisement