Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunting dogs?

• 14-02-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

A handful of hunting dogs ran through my home property today and I was about to put my cat out, she'd probley have got caught if they noticed her. Pissed me off.

I've no problem with them running through but what if it happened that my cat was killed, is there anything I can back myself up with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A handful of hunting dogs ran through my home property today and I was about to put my cat out, she'd probley have got caught if they noticed her. Pissed me off.

I've no problem with them running through but what if it happened that my cat was killed, is there anything I can back myself up with.

<banned> Sue the owners for the price of your cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

You have no problem with the dogs running through your garden so therefore you accept that if your cat is attacked its because you didnt stop the dogs being able to run through. If it was my garden no way would i let hunting dogs into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

MrTom1 wrote: »
    You have no problem with the dogs running through your garden so therefore you accept that if your cat is attacked its because you didnt stop the dogs being able to run through. If it was my garden no way would i let hunting dogs into it

Have you ever seen hunting dogs in action especially fox hounds? It can be pretty difficult to stop them running through a garden if the fence is not high. My friends small dog was killed by hunting dogs. Unfortunately it can be difficult to identify which pack they are from after they are gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Knine wrote: »
    Have you ever seen hunting dogs in action especially fox hounds? It can be pretty difficult to stop them running through a garden if the fence is not high. My friends small dog was killed by hunting dogs. Unfortunately it can be difficult to identify which pack they are from after they are gone

I was out walking 2 of my medium sized dogs last year when I saw a pack of about 20 hunting dogs in the distance coming up the road.I assume they were hunting dogs anyway. I hid in a corner behind a wall, crouched down over my dogs, covering their mouths with my hands in case they barked. I really got a fright.
    They passed by without spotting us.

Did I over react? I know nothing really about how hunting dogs behave, how likely was it they could have attacked my dogs? A pack of dogs that size is quite scary when you're walking your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Most packs are pretty well controlled however there has been some incidents where they have injured or killed other animals. Last week I seen an article where a farmer had to shoot some who were worrying sheep. These were identified. Fox hounds are actually a lovely breed of dog. There are several being shown who also work! They are very pleasant around the other dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep, they are normally very well controlled but Id still take precautions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Knine wrote: »
    Most packs are pretty well controlled however there has been some incidents where they have injured or killed other animals. Last week I seen an article where a farmer had to shoot some who were worrying sheep. These were identified. Fox hounds are actually a lovely breed of dog. There are several being shown who also work! They are very pleasant around the other dogs.

Yeah I had heard of a few small fluffy types of dogs or cats being killed by them, so I panicked even though my dogs are bigger than that. It was just my dogs I was worried about. We looked like we were dodging bombs or something huddled in that corner lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

maggiepip wrote: »
    Yeah I had heard of a few small fluffy types of dogs or cats being killed by them, so I panicked even though my dogs are bigger than that. It was just my dogs I was worried about. We looked like we were dodging bombs or something huddled in that corner lol.

I'd react in a similar manner if a pack of hounds approached. While the individual dogs might be lovely and entirely trustworthy, the 'baying pack' situation radically changes dynamics for both canines and humans.

Advertisement