Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of renting a room in my house

Options
  • 12-02-2016 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, maybe moving a bit off topic, but relevant I think!.....Jayzis, I have two spare rooms in my (fully owned) house.

I must look into letting out a room. But I just don't know, never shared before, I'd say it would be a big learning curve.

What do room mates want? Access all areas all the time or what.

I would charge 450/500 + bills for a large double room plenty of storage. Twenty minutes from city on a dedicated bus lane all the way. Nice quiet settled area too, near shops, pub etc. Very convenient.

I don't know if anyone else had issues with lack of privacy. Probably harder for an owner occ to share space with a randomer.

Anyway, just to ask, has anyone who has lived alone for a while done this. The rent would be a great boost to me, and tax free I believe. Nervous here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Anyway, just to ask, has anyone who has lived alone for a while done this. The rent would be a great boost to me, and tax free I believe. Nervous here!

I did it for a couple of years, had different lodgers. With the right ones it was great+ I've remained friends with them since. The wrong ones have put me off it for good. I had one guy who was just disgusting. Didn't shower once in 3 months, when he left- he left the room in an absolute mess. About 10 cups with mould growing on them, 3 black bags of rubbish including ancient pizza boxes with food in them. I wish I still had the pics to show!! It was disgusting. Very hard to be ok with it when it's your own home that you've put time+money into.

I did have some truly lovely people though. I tended to rent to foreign students over for 3 month placements+ it was great. They were never there long enough for anything to become an issue. I actually miss a few of them! He wasn't one unfortunately! He was from the area. :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

first time in a long time sharing again.
    bit nervous to be honest.
    Have lived with lads from the west who mothers must have looked after them as they never tidied up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Leogirl wrote: »
    I did it for a couple of years, had different lodgers. With the right ones it was great+ I've remained friends with them since. The wrong ones have put me off it for good. I had one guy who was just disgusting. Didn't shower once in 3 months, when he left- he left the room in an absolute mess. About 10 cups with mould growing on them, 3 black bags of rubbish including ancient pizza boxes with food in them. I wish I still had the pics to show!! It was disgusting. Very hard to be ok with it when it's your own home that you've put time+money into.

I did have some truly lovely people though. I tended to rent to foreign students over for 3 month placements+ it was great. They were never there long enough for anything to become an issue. I actually miss a few of them! He wasn't one unfortunately! He was from the area. :-(

Hi thanks for that. How did you get the students in for short lets, thanks. I think I might cope with that, or a Monday to Friday set up. I live near two colleges 3rd level, I could check with the colleges I reckon and be PROACTIVE! I'm a bit nervous of it though having lived alone for so long and set in my ways I suppose!

Just thinking of all I could do with a bit of extra tax free cash. But there is a price to be paid for everything I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

Hi thanks for that. How did you get the students in for short lets, thanks. I think I might cope with that, or a Monday to Friday set up. I live near two colleges 3rd level, I could check with the colleges I reckon and be PROACTIVE! I'm a bit nervous of it though having lived alone for so long and set in my ways I suppose!

Just thinking of all I could do with a bit of extra tax free cash. But there is a price to be paid for everything I suppose.

All you can do I suppose is get a few prospective people interested and meet them to suss them out properly.

Advertisement