Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike chain lubricant

Options
  • 14-02-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Summer coming up will be getting the bike on the road again soon. I need to degrease the chain and then relube. I lubricated with spray grease last year, while it does the lubrication its black and messy.

I'll soak the chain in diesel that should do the degrease.

But what should I use for lubricating the chain

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

"3 in 1" oil.
    Nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Summer??? Holy jaysus still flippin winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I use Finishlibe dry lube on my summer bike and their wet lube on my wet weather/winter bike. With a good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Nothing wrong with 3in1 oil. The oil is fine, but the dirt/grit that it attracts is the problem. If you do use it, use as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The only problem I've found with 3-in-1 is that it washes out REALLY easily. I found you'd get rust starting on the chain after a few days if you didn't re-lube after one spell in heavy rain. Then again, if you're the sort that does re-lube every time it rains, it wouldn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Use degreased/chain cleaner as often as possible (after each ride if you can) and 3/1 as good as any and cheaper than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

3-in-1 also is available in the likes of Tesco and Aldi, which can be handy if you don't live near a bike shop or near your An Post sorting office (to get your online purchases when they're inevitably delivered while you're out).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

I use Finishlibe dry lube on my summer bike and their wet lube on my wet weather/winter bike. With a good for me.

Is this something like 3 in 1 oil or is it clean stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

if this was an industrial chain I would be putting spray grease on it, motor cycle chain oil

The problem with oil or any petroleum based stuff is its dirty and gets on shoes socks etc

Are these proper bike lubricants clean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ive been told Fenwick's stealth lube is fantastic whatever the conditions, but can't vouch for it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

aidanki wrote: »
    if this was an industrial chain I would be putting spray grease on it, motor cycle chain oil

The problem with oil or any petroleum based stuff is its dirty and gets on shoes socks etc

Are these proper bike lubricants clean?

They are until you go outside ;)

Maybe stick to zwift and the turbo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

Just came across this article a couple of minutes ago.

Rock ’n’ Roll Extreme Chain Lubricant

Rock 'n' Roll suggests there's no need to clean chains of existing lube since the rich solvent component will strip them pretty much on contact.

http://road.cc/content/review/178866-rock-’n’-roll-extreme-chain-lubricant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

G1032 wrote: »

Rock 'n' Roll suggests there's no need to clean chains of existing lube since the rich solvent component will strip them pretty much on contact.

Trying out this lube with last month.

UK suppliers will send via Parcel Motel; it's solvent based and it has to go via boat ( I think).

Allegedly cleans chain and lubes to. By applying liberally and wiping thoroughly the lube stays behind in the part of chain you can't see. So apply liberally at cassette and wipe the drivetrain really clean.

Seems to work fine at up to 300km between applications to date, no squeaking and shifting fine. Keeps chain really clean to. I'm really interested will it take 300km in wet though which will be real test. The skeptic in me is still doubtful as with the amount of products that are more marketing than substance.

I'll update after some wet horrible long spin where I threw bike in ditch after being driven demented by noisy skipping chain!

Photo after application, so pretty clean for a drivetrain which never sees any degreaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ford2600 wrote: »
    Trying out this lube with last month.

UK suppliers will send via Parcel Motel; it's solvent based and it has to go via boat ( I think).

Allegedly cleans chain and lubes to. By applying liberally and wiping thoroughly the lube stays behind in the part of chain you can't see. So apply liberally at cassette and wipe the drivetrain really clean.

Seems to work fine at up to 300km between applications to date, no squeaking and shifting fine. Keeps chain really clean to. I'm really interested will it take 300km in wet though which will be real test. The skeptic in me is still doubtful as with the amount of products that are more marketing than substance.

I'll update after some wet horrible long spin where I threw bike in ditch after being driven demented by noisy skipping chain!

Photo after application, so pretty clean for a drivetrain which never sees any degreaser

Still using this, and no complaints.

4k km on chain (including 6 300km rides with a mix of wet and dry) with lube application every 300km or so. So tough enough conditions on a chain. 40k km on crankset and 10km on cassette so well used drivetrain to.

Chain is quite, with no shifting issues and stays really clean. In fact cleanliness is probably biggest advantage.

Just checked chain and no noticeable stretch. I'd imagine if doing shorter rides and applying more regularly chain would last a long time. Also if commuting and not to fussed about maintenance it might be worth a try.

I was sure it was all nonsense but the skeptic is impressed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

G1032 wrote: »

I've been using this stuff for the last 4 years, Chain Reaction were selling it and rock'n'roll gold for about a pound a bottle when they first opened their bricks and mortar store in Belfast (I bought about 10). Was told at the time that it was because they realised they weren't allowed to post it normally.

I really rate it.Just put it on , leave and then wipe until rag runs through clean. I have tried a few others lately as my supplies are running out but have found the 'wet' lubes tend to get dirty quickly, the 'dry' ones seem better but don't tend to last nearly as long.

If I could get my hands on some more I would.

Advertisement