Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB reconnection

Options
  • 14-02-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Hoping someone could help with this. Roughly how much might it cost to get a registered electrician to inspect/check and certify a property which has been disconnected for 2 years? From what I understand, ESB will require this before allowing us to reconnect to the mains.

It is a 1600sqft detatched house with underfloor heating on both the first and ground floor. House was built in 2005.

I know it is impossible to give an exact price without knowing much more detail but we were hoping to get a very rough price range for what I imagine is a fairly common job for an electrician.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

Obviously can't give a definite price but likely to be around/under €100, especially in a newer house like that, I had one done recently and paid a lot less than that and it was a 1998 building

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭Quandary

irishfire wrote: »
    Obviously can't give a definite price but likely to be around/under €100, especially in a newer house like that, I had one done recently and paid a lot less than that and it was a 1998 building

Thanks for the post. I was hoping it would be something fairly reasonable. I wasn't sure whether it was a case of in and around €100-€200 or something much more costly and invasive.

The house we are interested in is located in north county Dublin. What part of the country did you get the inspection/certification?

Any other experiences or opinions are more than welcome :)

No problem, just try a few contractors, but you shouldn't be crossing the 150 mark unless it needs to be brought up to specs in some areas.

Also just to note, you can apply online and have your new mprn got and quotation paid in advance of getting the cert, just means it's only a matter of calling esb networks to say all is finished when you get your cert and it'll go out to schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It would be at least 200-250 Euro (possibly more). It takes two visits. No-one will do it for 100 Euro (or 150).

That would be insane.

Also any remedial work will be at an additional cost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭Quandary

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It would be at least 200-250 Euro (possibly more). It takes two visits. No-one will do it for 100 Euro (or 150).

That would be insane.

Why does it take two visits? Have you got experience paying for this in the past or are you in the trade yourself?

Thanks for the reply

Quandary wrote: »
    Why does it take two visits? Have you got experience paying for this in the past or are you in the trade yourself?

Thanks for the reply
    I am in the trade.

It takes two visits because the Completion Certificate will need Pre-Connection and Post-Connection tests carried out in addition to the inspection.

Risteard81 wrote:

Risteard81 wrote:
    That would be insane.

Like I said, shop around

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That would be insane.

Just seen this. I have to say that €300 seems very reasonable to me for this.
    Any REC doing this for €100 is either making a loss or not doing it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

2011 wrote: »

I think he may be confusing it with one of those inspections the council ask for before a Tennant moves in. I got one done before cost about €100

Possibly called an interim test report.

• Advertisement

I completely agree.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think he may be confusing it with one of those inspections the council ask for before a Tennant moves in. I got one done before cost about €100

Possibly called an interim test report.
    Do you mean a Periodic Inspection Report?

Again, €100 wouldn't be near it.

Do you mean a Periodic Inspection Report?

Again, €100 wouldn't be near it.

That's the one. It certainly wasnt anymore than €100 and it was done by a rec.

I've no reason to lie so I guess some folks charge more some less.

You saying its no where near shouldn't be taken as gospel.

To add the place he was testing was no more than a 5 minute drive so that probably played a part with cost

Just to clarify, I mean a cert returned to esb via reci or ecssa to allow a re-energise call to be scheduled. A local REC in a house with no issues should be able to do this for around the €100, I've even had a second one done since I first posted here for €110. It's a relatively small job compared to some, I don't see how it absolutely has to cost more than this

Just to clarify, I mean a cert returned to esb via reci or ecssa to allow a re-energise call to be scheduled. A local REC in a house with no issues should be able to do this for around the €100, I've even had a second one done since I first posted here for €110. It's a relatively small job compared to some, I don't see how it absolutely has to cost more than this

Firstly, it can only be done through a RECI member.

Even with no issues complete inspection and testing of the installation needs to take place. A minimum of two visits are required (one for pre-connection tests and a second for post-connection tests).

I reiterate that it is impossible for this to be done for anything like €100.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I believe you.
    But I standby my point, this work was either carried out at a loss or not done properly. As already stated this takes two visits.

However I was a registered electrical contractor for a number of years, so I am speaking from direct experience.
    I know what it costs to keep a van on the road, pay for insurance, buy the test equipment and pay for all of the other costs that are essential to keeping a company running. Let me tell you this is not cheap.

I also know what is involved in carrying out these tests properly and documenting them, there is a bit in it.

It takes 4 years to qualify as an electrician. It generally takes a few years post apprenticeship experience to become the type of experienced and proficient electrician that (in my opinion) should be carrying out these tests and knows what to look for when carrying out a visual inspection. Additionally the tester has to complete an Accredited Verification & Certification Course. So when all is said and done quite a bit of expertise is required including qualifications that can only be gained after a protracted period. In my opinion an individual that ticks all of these boxes wants to be paid accordingly.

If someone were to charge €100 for this service and were to do it properly they would be working for less that minimum wage when all of the overheads are paid for.

In summary €300 is a bargin for this and I would be wary of anyone doing it for peanuts.

Risteard81 wrote:
    Firstly, it can only be done through a RECI member.

Incorrect, ecssa members return paper certs to ecssa to be updated electronically. I can't understand where you got this idea from?

And I completely agree 2011, it is no simple affair to have everything in order.
    Between training and equipment it all adds up, then add in a van and insurance, office overheads and the rest.

But I'm speaking completely from experience here which with me was getting 2 of these inspections done in different counties for around the €100 mark. Both took 2 visits, but both electricians were locals and I left out a key for them to do the work when it suited. I found them both to be thorough and I would have good faith in their inspections.

I'm not trying to say how much it should cost, I'm saying that's what it costed me, twice.

I believe you.
    But I standby my point, this work was either carried out at a loss or not done properly. As already stated this takes two visits.

However I was a registered electrical contractor for a number of years, so I am speaking from direct experience.
    I know what it costs to keep a van on the road, pay for insurance, buy the test equipment and pay for all of the other costs that are essential to keeping a company running. Let me tell you this is not cheap.

I also know what is involved in carrying out these tests properly and documenting them, there is a bit in it.

It takes 4 years to qualify as an electrician. It generally takes a few years post apprenticeship experience to become the type of experienced and proficient electrician that (in my opinion) should be carrying out these tests and knows what to look for when carrying out a visual inspection. Additionally the tester has to complete an Accredited Verification & Certification Course. So when all is said and done quite a bit of expertise is required including qualifications that can only be gained after a protracted period. In my opinion an individual that ticks all of these boxes wants to be paid accordingly.

If someone were to charge €100 for this service and were to do it properly they would be working for less that minimum wage when all of the overheads are paid for.

In summary €300 is a bargin for this and I would be wary of anyone doing it for peanuts.

You can't claim equipment as an overhead when it is a company asset it's costs will be recovered through their use as with training.

Incorrect, ecssa members return paper certs to ecssa to be updated electronically. I can't understand where you got this idea from?

I got it from the fact that ECSSA members are not Registered Electrical Contractors. Only RECI members are. This has been the case since 1st January for the current seven year designation.

I got it from the fact that ECSSA members are not Registered Electrical Contractors. Only RECI members are. This has been the case since 1st January for the current seven year designation.

Taken from Ecssa website

"From January 1st 2016 ECSSA will operate as a Trade & Training Association delivering Technical and Business Advice to its Members along with a variety of other Services which include Accredited Training Courses, Instrument Calibration and Technical Publications.Membership Costs €100 only."

To be fair it's a fairly recent change.

Out of curiosity (way to much time on my hands I know ;) ) I called a few companies today to get quotes for a periodic inspection report. I only got one quote over the phone €140+ vat charges will apply for any repairs carried out.

2 more will send quote via email. All were REC's. I'll update as and when I hear back.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote:
    "From January 1st 2016 ECSSA will operate as a Trade & Training Association delivering Technical and Business Advice to its Members along with a variety of other Services which include Accredited Training Courses, Instrument Calibration and Technical Publications.Membership Costs €100 only."

Apologies I didn't realise this had changed, but out of curiosity I checked my certs and both were RECI.

If you can get someone to do this for €100 and you have confidence that they are doing a good job it makes sense to proceed.
    At €50 per visit it is a great deal for the customer (not the REC).

I would wonder why a good REC is working for so little, things have picked up so much.

I would wonder why a good REC is working for so little, things have picked up so much.

The number of sparks I know that are still working abroad would disagree with you.

The number of sparks I know that are still working abroad would disagree with you.

Really?
    Thats surprising because there is so much going on at the moment.
    There are quite a few large projects that are in full swing or just about to kick off.

I am competent myself, but not registered, and honestly it wasn't worth it for 2 certs, but it meant I could be sure things were done right, and before anyone says it no I didn't tell either electrician I had checked it out or gave them a nod that it was okey, both did the complete set of tests.

I suspect they were priced as such because I dealt as local as possible and was therefore an easy enough job for them, after that your guess is as good as mine

I am competent myself, but not registered, and honestly it wasn't worth it for 2 certs, but it meant I could be sure things were done right, and before anyone says it no I didn't tell either electrician I had checked it out or gave them a nod that it was okey, both did the complete set of tests.

I suspect they were priced as such because I dealt as local as possible and was therefore an easy enough job for them, after that your guess is as good as mine

Clearly you feel that the work was done properly and the price was right.
    After that the reason is irrelevant, nothing else matters :)

Really?
    Thats surprising because there is so much going on at the moment.
    There are quite a few large projects that are in full swing or just about to kick off.

Keeping in mind that electrical apprenticeships were probably one of the most subscribed trades during 00's there'll more than likely never be enough work to go around.

Most have either re skilled or emigrated. The large projects you speak of are few and far between.

If be curious to see what rates are paid by sme's something tells me its only large multi national contracts where contractors are forced to pay union rates.

Off topic anyway. I'll up date with prices tomorrow.

Keeping in mind that electrical apprenticeships were probably one of the most subscribed trades during 00's there'll more than likely never be enough work to go around.

This is no longer the case in my opinion.
    For a period after the crash work was scarce. However the situation has changed dramatically.
    Have a read:

The strongest employment increase was in skilled trades. The construction sector grew the most, at 13 per cent, followed by the financial and education sectors, at five per cent each.
    see link

“The big increases were in electrical, carpentry, and plumbing apprenticeships,” a CIF spokesman said.

“The number of new electrical apprentices grew by 323, or 62% to 845 in 2014. Carpentry apprenticeships grew by 87% to 185, an increase of 86, and plumbing experienced an increase of 77 apprentices, growing by 32% to 318.

“The only construction apprenticeship to experience a decrease was toolmaking, which dropped by 15 apprentices to 66 in 2014, a fall of 19%.”

Nonetheless, CIF director general Tom Parlon said that the industry will need to see the increase continue in 2015 if it is to cater to the extra demand for construction activity in the coming years.

see link

The minister said he was delighted to see more jobs being created and, in particular, construction jobs finally increasing.

“This is great news for job seekers. I am delighted, in particular, in the growth in opportunities for skilled tradespeople.”

see link

Most have either re skilled or emigrated.

Some have, which means there are less electricians available which increases demand. I know it was quiet, but I do not believe that this is the case now.
    The large projects you speak of are few and far between.

I disagree, in my line of work I see a lot of large projects.

Off the top of my head: Data centres, a large biopharma plant, pharmaceutical and a power station.
    If be curious to see what rates are paid by sme's something tells me its only large multi national contracts where contractors are forced to pay union rates.

Please note: Discussing rates of pay is against the forum charter.
    However without getting into specifics I would be confident that an electrician working on these types of projects would end up with a far larger pay packet that would be possible when certifying installations for €100.

This is no longer the case in my opinion.
    For a period after the crash work was scarce. However the situation has changed dramatically.
    Have a read:

The strongest employment increase was in skilled trades. The construction sector grew the most, at 13 per cent, followed by the financial and education sectors, at five per cent each.
    see link

“The big increases were in electrical, carpentry, and plumbing apprenticeships,” a CIF spokesman said.

“The number of new electrical apprentices grew by 323, or 62% to 845 in 2014. Carpentry apprenticeships grew by 87% to 185, an increase of 86, and plumbing experienced an increase of 77 apprentices, growing by 32% to 318.

“The only construction apprenticeship to experience a decrease was toolmaking, which dropped by 15 apprentices to 66 in 2014, a fall of 19%.”

Nonetheless, CIF director general Tom Parlon said that the industry will need to see the increase continue in 2015 if it is to cater to the extra demand for construction activity in the coming years.

see link

The minister said he was delighted to see more jobs being created and, in particular, construction jobs finally increasing.

“This is great news for job seekers. I am delighted, in particular, in the growth in opportunities for skilled tradespeople.”

see link

Some have, which means there are less electricians available which increases demand. I know it was quiet, but I do not believe that this is the case now.

I disagree, in my line of work I see a lot of large projects.

Off the top of my head: Data centres, a large biopharma plant, pharmaceutical and a power station.

Please note: Discussing rates of pay is against the forum charter.
    However without getting into specifics I would be confident that an electrician working on these types of projects would end up with a far larger pay packet that would be possible when certifying installations for €100.

I'll have a read of this later and to be honest I think our fields of work aren't to disimilar.

I honestly think you're dreaming if you think things have improved significantly. A handful of projects is not the recovery of a once thriving sector.

I'd almost compare a response like that to a political party response one the live register figures decreasing without taking into account those that have emigrated and those that can no longer be bothered to sign on as they aren't getting paid.

Discussing rate might be against the rules which if truw is ridiculois but your reply is as clear as mud. It's easy to assume a persons take home package will be high without hearing details it could be someone on min wage working an 80hr week

Once again it's getting off topic.

• Advertisement

I'd almost compare a response like that to a political party response one the live register figures decreasing without taking into account those that have emigrated and those that can no longer be bothered to sign on as they aren't getting paid.

Sure what would the CIF know anyway? :confused:
    Discussing rate might be against the rules which if truw

Have a read: Forum Charter
    It's easy to assume a persons take home package will be high without hearing details it could be someone on min wage working an 80hr week

It's easy to work out that if you charge €50 per visit for this work take home per hour will be very low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement