Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need "Line In" to play through speakers - how?

Options
  • 14-02-2016 7:11pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Dell XPS 8700 - and I'm trying to get a new audio setup working. I have a dj controller (Xponent) which has a master line out, and I want to plug that into the soundcard line in - and have the music play through the speakers. I can't figure it out. Is there something I have to do? Can anyone tell me how I can even test it to make sure the signal is coming into the Line In OK, and then get it to play through the speakers?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

So the Xponent is connected to laptop via USB?
    The master out on that should go to an amplifier I'd imagine. What is your speaker setup?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I actually managed to figure it out. Works now but there is some pretty big latency.
    Yeah its conencted to usb, but the audio out from the xponent plugs back into the line in on the soundcard. However what comes out of the pc speakers is 1/4 second behind the headphone monitors. What can I do to try to fix this?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I actually managed to figure it out. Works now but there is some pretty big latency.
    Yeah its conencted to usb, but the audio out from the xponent plugs back into the line in on the soundcard. However what comes out of the pc speakers is 1/4 second behind the headphone monitors. What can I do to try to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zascar wrote: »

You can't. Its going to always be that way.
    Realtek ALC3861 Audio
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D

Neither of those are designed for live audio and thus low latency. There's a reason why proper audio interfaces are €150+.

Instead of doing what you're doing you should output from the controller directly to the speakers. And if you need recording via the PC then use a splitter so you have zero delay while monitoring but still keep the delayed feed available to the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What DJ software are you using on the computer ? I use a NuMark controller and VirtualDJ 7 Pro.

VirtualDJ, like nearly every DJ software I've come across, has a record facility. Use this to record your set and connect the Controller directly to your speakers. Routing it back into the computer will result in some nasty artifacts and feedback in the right circumstances.

Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement