Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for tyres

• 14-02-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get some new tyres for the car, uniroyal or Hankook only. Anybody recommend a good place to buy in the city? I can buy online via oponeo and get them fitted if needs be, wonder what the charge per tyre is?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got some in tyrestop near the nct place. they're owned by Daly tyres who are a big tyre wholesaler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Thomas Tyres in Thomandgate are the best value tyres in Limerick, he sells new and second hand tyres, excellent service and very honest.

Dop not go near Tyre Stop , they put new tyres on my car before and could not see that it was'nt able to be tracked but told me they tracked it, also do not go near Mid West Tyres in Raheen , they are complete gangsters and do not run a good shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Thomas Tyres in Thomandgate are the best value tyres in Limerick, he sells new and second hand tyres, excellent service and very honest.

Do not go near Tyre Stop , they put new tyres on my car before and could not see that it was'nt able to be tracked but told me they tracked it, also do not go near Mid West Tyres in Raheen , they are complete gangsters and do not run a good shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Champion tyres on st Patricks road, in parks yard are great as well, sell new and second hand, great to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Do not go near Tyre Stop , they put new tyres on my car before and could not see that it was'nt able to be tracked but told me they tracked it, also do not go near Mid West Tyres in Raheen , they are complete gangsters and do not run a good shop.

Tyre stop had 2 goes off herself's car... I took it to victory tyres on lelia street for proper tracking after tyre stops second failure. Grand since.

Would recommend victory tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

also do not go near Mid West Tyres in Raheen , they are complete gangsters and do not run a good shop.

I have to disagree with this. I've been dealing with Mid West for a few years now and always found them very approachable. Never had any problems with them and price wise, it's always been fine too.

Why do you say they're 'gangsters'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Was very happy with Victory Tyres when I went there last year, got their name from a previous thread in this forum,will be going back again in a couple of months when I need two more tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

+1 for victory tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Limerick Tyre Centre in Raheen or Victory Tyres on Lela Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

+1 for Victory Tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Have always used Thomond Tyres out on the Kileely road, great value and James provides a great service and is dead on. People have always mentioned Victory Tyres too and heard good things about them from non boards member also.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Limerick Tyre Centre in Raheen

Can do good deals... but...
    Check how old the tyre you are getting is. Especially if you do low miles or are easy on tyres.

Check the speed rating of the tyre if you have a moderately powerful car and like to drive it. Now, I don't think there are any legal conditions here to have an equivalent or higher speed rating than that specified by the manufacturer. And I've never heard of an insurer in ireland making an issue of S rather than H rated tyres.... but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can do good deals... but...
    Check how old the tyre you are getting is. Especially if you do low miles or are easy on tyres.

Check the speed rating of the tyre if you have a moderately powerful car and like to drive it. Now, I don't think there are any legal conditions here to have an equivalent or higher speed rating than that specified by the manufacturer. And I've never heard of an insurer in ireland making an issue of S rather than H rated tyres.... but...

That could be said any tyre place to be honest. I've bought from them on plenty of occasions with no issues and some of the tyres I've been buying were not run of the mill tyres either.

It's like anything, most people are uneducated when it comes to tyres. They just ask for tyres - as long as they are cheap, round, made of something resembling rubber, and pass the NCT then they are grand. Offer them anything else and they feel they are being ripped off.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That could be said any tyre place to be honest. I've bought from them on plenty of occasions with no issues and some of the tyres I've been buying were not run of the mill tyres either.

It's like anything, most people are uneducated when it comes to tyres. They just ask for tyres - as long as they are cheap, round, made of something resembling rubber, and pass the NCT then they are grand. Offer them anything else and they feel they are being ripped off.

If you just ask for tyres for a suzuki liana, fair enough.
    If you ask for V rated tyres and they quote you a price, you expect that price to be for V rated tyres.

Although I would agree that in general tyre customers and sellers all regard price as the most important factor and noise/grip are secondary if considered at all.
    50 per cent of tyre pricing conversations go like this for me:
    *I'd like tyres for car Y please.
    We have Bridgestone for $$ or Widowmakers for $.
    *What model bridgestones are they?
    Ha?
    *What bridgestones are they?
    BRIDGESTONE BRIDGESTONES!
    *No, what model bridgestones are they?
    Ha?
    *beep beep beeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

+1 for Thomand Tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tails142 wrote: »
    Was very happy with Victory Tyres when I went there last year, got their name from a previous thread in this forum,will be going back again in a couple of months when I need two more tyres.

Victory would be my recommendation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

It would be Brendan Walsh Tyres in Roxboro for me but not sure if he does the specific tyres you are looking for .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

+1 Brendan Walsh,very helpful.

jonski wrote: »
    It would be Brendan Walsh Tyres in Roxboro for me but not sure if he does the specific tyres you are looking for .
    +1 Brendan Walsh,very helpful.

What tyres did ye get out of interest?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you just ask for tyres for a suzuki liana, fair enough.
    If you ask for V rated tyres and they quote you a price, you expect that price to be for V rated tyres.

Although I would agree that in general tyre customers and sellers all regard price as the most important factor and noise/grip are secondary if considered at all.
    50 per cent of tyre pricing conversations go like this for me:
    *I'd like tyres for car Y please.
    We have Bridgestone for $$ or Widowmakers for $.
    *What model bridgestones are they?
    Ha?
    *What bridgestones are they?
    BRIDGESTONE BRIDGESTONES!
    *No, what model bridgestones are they?
    Ha?
    *beep beep beeep

I had a VERY similar call to that place in Kileely.

I've had good experiences with Limerick Tyre Centre in Raheen. Victory Tyres are great for removing lock nuts. Probably good for tyres if that service is anything to go by. Mid-West Tyres in Shannon is where I got my last pair of tyres, very good service. Can't speak for Raheen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

+1 for Limerick Tyre Centre in Raheen.
    Efficient service, competitive pricing, got two Bridgestones off them a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Champion tyres on st Patricks road, in parks yard are great as well, sell new and second hand, great to deal with

+1

What tyres did ye get out of interest?

Sorry , I thought I had replied to this .

Aeolus , 185/65R14's for my trusty '04 Ford Focus :) .

jonski wrote: »
    Sorry , I thought I had replied to this .

Aeolus , 185/65R14's for my trusty '04 Ford Focus :) .
    Full set for under 200?? They'll most likely be grand for tipping around town.

For me and what/where/how I drive, I wouldn't do it to myself, I'd have to buy tyres from a well established manufacturer with a reputation for quality tyres. I've naively bought cheap tyres (nankang squealers), and bought cars with absolute ditchfinders (accelera widowmakers) on them, frighteningly bad - soooo dubious about any of these "cheap" tyres now.

Full set for under 200?? They'll most likely be grand for tipping around town.

For me and what/where/how I drive, I wouldn't do it to myself, I'd have to buy tyres from a well established manufacturer with a reputation for quality tyres. I've naively bought cheap tyres (nankang squealers), and bought cars with absolute ditchfinders (accelera widowmakers) on them, frighteningly bad - soooo dubious about any of these "cheap" tyres now.

2 for the front for €110 , this is my second time using them , do about 350 miles a week 320 of that on the motorway . Find the tyres are fine for what I do , it's not the RS and I'm not racing it, just normal handy driving .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Openeo best for me, lads in Limerick tyre centre in Raheen fitted them no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have to disagree with this. I've been dealing with Mid West for a few years now and always found them very approachable. Never had any problems with them and price wise, it's always been fine too.

Why do you say they're 'gangsters'?

inhad a pretty bad experience with Midwest in raheen. first thing id say is that I've dealt with their branch in shannon plenty times and always got looked after well there.
    i had pretty bad tyres on my car. I had it in the head to get bigger wheels in a few months so checked if they had part worn tyres. they had 2 left in the size I needed.
    i have bought part worns for other cars in other garages and never had an issue.
    I had specified before they put them on that I didn't want winter tyres and always only ever get mid range or premium brand tyres
    so the sales guy seemed sound enough and given that id had good experience of the company before I trusted them. got the car back. I hadn't driven as far as the road when I felt the vibration and heard the noise from the tyres.
    got out and spotted that they had put a used triangle tyre on one side and a wanli winter tyre on the other side. for what I paid for these i could have got new ones.
    want back in and the guy defended the tyre brands initially but backed down when he realised I wasn't buying his patter.
    he said he had a bath of premium brand part worns coming in in 3 days and I could change for those.
    3 days came. I enquired on the phone firstly without saying who I was. they told me there was no shipment on the way in. I asked to speak to the guy I was dealing with turns out he was the manager and he was the only one who could fix this for me. he was on holiday for the next few days. fair enough
    called in to the place in person on the day he was supposed to be back. apparently he was out and didnt have a phone.
    over the next few weeks I called numerous times and was fobbed of over and over. left my number repeatedly and never got a call.
    at this stage it was time to get proper tyres. avoided Midwest as I will continue to do.

Advertisement