Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Identifying this Grotto from Ennis

• 14-02-2016 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone help me identify this grotto in Ennis?

The photo also appears as the top picture towards the bottom of an article on a book launch. (scroll down a fair bit towards the end) http://astheywere.blogspot.ie/2015_05_01_archive.html

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Finding them on google maps is fun :)

Not: Connolly Villas, Buttermarket St, Ballybeg, Dalcassian Park, Hempfield, St. Michaels Villas, Marian Avenue, McHugh Villas.

Can't find / can't see: Cathedral, Davitt Terrace, Erinagh Fountain, Franciscan Friary, Claremont, Clarecastle, Lees Road, Loughville, Peoples Park (??).

No longer exists: Market Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

It is in ballybeg under the watertower. It has changed since google maps did their street view drive by. see location here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

johnam wrote: »
    It is in ballybeg under the watertower. It has changed since google maps did their street view drive by. see location here

I cry foul!! Not a fair question! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Thanks everyone ... but I'm not convinced that the one under the watertower is the same grotto.

This photo from geograph.ie http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2184575 (taken in 2010) appears to show the same statue as is currently there - which has a different surround to the one in the photo and is therefore a different statue?

johnam wrote: »

Hi Johnam, do you have any idea when the grotto was altered? Was it before 2010 when the geograph picture I posted earlier was taken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

bardcom wrote: »
    Hi Johnam, do you have any idea when the grotto was altered? Was it before 2010 when the geograph picture I posted earlier was taken?

No idea, but it was altered. There is a stone wall being built in the google street view image, so maybe it was done at that time. Either way, this image shows it in its current form. Sorry for the poor image, it was taken by a friend in a hurry this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

bardcom wrote: »
    Thanks everyone ... but I'm not convinced that the one under the watertower is the same grotto.

This photo from geograph.ie http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2184575 (taken in 2010) appears to show the same statue as is currently there - which has a different surround to the one in the photo and is therefore a different statue?

It's Ballybeg-there was a forest of Lawson Cypress there and that's what is behind the wall.

Hi, just an update and thank you for all your help.

I've received confirmation that this definitely is the grotto in Ballybeg. Thank you for all your help. It seems the grotto was vandalised after the pics in Google Earth and geograph were taken in 2010, and the grotto was rebuild in 2011. The keystone of the new grotto is a piece of stone from Croagh Patrick.

Advertisement