Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just to make ye extra jealous. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Just to make ye extra jealous. :)

You have succeeded as we look out on the third consecutive day of gloom!

Cooler now, 13.6c owing to a sea breeze that's moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Had my first experience of rain this weekend as I went for a wander while waiting for a train in Cork between 4 and 5. Rain gear was pushed to the limit, needs to be reproofed. Very slow moving rain almost fixed on Cork at the moment, looks like I'll get to enjoy the bit of it that's swinging across from Wexford up to Limerick too.

Can see blue and broken cloud out one one side of the train and only a grey mist out the other side. Kinda like the west east divide this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely evening in south mayo at the moment !
    No rain all weekend
    Lucky ducks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

You have succeeded as we look out on the third consecutive day of gloom!

Suns out in Arklow now behind the front \○/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A few peeps of blue sky popping in and out here but still no sun showing its hand - so still 0 hours of sunshine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Currently a cloudless west Clare sky with the sun splitting the rocks, with no wind and apparently a temperature of 16.9c.

Hard to believe there is murky rainy skies so near.

A glorious afternoon and evening here in Galway city also. Blue skies, sunshine and calm. Not quite as warm as west Clare but temp hit a respectable 13.6C a short while ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Does anyone know what caused the line of heavy rain from Killarney to Aeskeaton to form in 30 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

sumtings wrote: »
    Does anyone know what caused the line of heavy rain from Killarney to Aeskeaton to form in 30 mins?

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/%28Gl%29/guides/mtr/svr/modl/line/squall.rxml

• Advertisement

Can see it from the window, very dark in that direction. There's a brisk northwesterly breeze blowing towards it here in West Clare, but it seems to be slowly edging closer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

55.9mm of rain here in the first 3 days of April. Had just a little over that for the entire month last year.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally stopped raining after close to 72 hours of almost continuous rain and drizzle. The past 3 days have been horrendous. Plenty of waterlogged fields and roads half flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    finally stopped raining after close to 72 hours of almost continuous rain and drizzle. The past 3 days have been horrendous. Plenty of waterlogged fields and roads half flooded.

Did you not get a break from it friday evening til saturday morning around 11, im near slane and we got a break, its been raining non stop since then though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

sumtings wrote: »

Took this picture about 18.15 ,looking towards the Killarney direction, from the Kerry coast near Ardfert showing some big Cumulonimbus. I see sferics showed up around East Kerry in the late afternoon.

NT8qamN.jpg?1

Much cloudier hear now except over the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

anyone with clear skies the ISS is passing over between 2103-2108 tonight, magnitude of -2.6. so its going to be a really bright one.

The squall disbanded before reaching west clare, there is rain to the north and south of me though!

After an exceptionally wet Friday, I haven't seen any rain since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

after being stuck in for 3 days the lads are back in school and its a lovely sunny day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

jambofc wrote: »
    after being stuck in for 3 days the lads are back in school and its a lovely sunny day :rolleyes:

Lashing down here on the east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Spring sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very spring like here in castlebar with good sunshine all afternoon in just light winds. 12 degrees. 1003 - steady

NMB wrote: »
    Spring sucks.

Spring is actually the best season. Springs like 2006, 2013, 2016 suck bro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Yet another dull wet day...it seemed to be raining all the time, yet the total so far is only 2.6mm.

Proving you don't need very much rain to make a miserable day :(

Another beautiful afternoon/evening here in West Clare. Started off the morning with a very dense fog, less than 100m up to 9am, thinned fairly quickly thereafter and had turned into a faint mist/haze by 11am. Cloudy at first after the fog lifted, but sunny spells became more frequent and they sky was relatively cloudless by 5pm. High of 15.6c according to the weather station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Its looking on the cold side for the first half of April and I think we are in for one of those rare occurrences when April will be colder than December, obviously it only happens after a very mild December and has only happened five time since records began in 1855 at the Phoenix Park.
    Dec 1857 8.8c April 1858 8.2c
    Dec 1905 7.4c April 1906 6.2c
    Dec 1921 7.4c April 1922 4.6c
    Dec 1934 8.5c April 1935 7.3c
    Dec 1977 6.6c April 1978 6.5c
    Dec 2015 9.0c April ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Any of those lead to anything resembling a summer?

Well the only one I know about from the above list is that April 1978 was followed by what was a "poor" or "very average Summer" - something like 2015.

Well I can happily say now that Grange has finally had its first pleasant day of this April so far (4 consecutive miserable days before).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well the only one I know about from the above list is that April 1978 was followed by what was a "poor" or "very average Summer"
    .... but winter 78/79 was a good one :)
    Jan 2nd 1979 recorded the lowest official temperature of the 20th century in Ireland, -18.8c at Lullymore, Co Kildare.
    'fraid not.

• Advertisement

.... but winter 78/79 was a good one :)
    Jan 2nd 1979 recorded the lowest official temperature of the 20th century in Ireland, -18.8c at Lullymore, Co Kildare.

'fraid not.

Look on the positive side!

Recent colder than normal Aprils and the Summers that followed them

2015 (well April was pretty variable really) - Summer was meh.. pretty average
    2013 - Epic Summer, one of the better ones.
    2012 - Worst Summer I have experienced (though 1986 is the worst in Grange's records...)
    2000 - A grand Summer, wasn't remarkably great but wasn't very bad either! It was a good Summer to experience as a whole.
    1998 - Horrible June & July with an alright August - so a bad Summer
    1994 - Exceptionally dull and cool Summer - one of the worst

WOW... I expected more than that. Only 2013 and 2000?

Well Spring meanwhile

2015 - Summer was meh (as I said above)
    2013 - Again... epic Summer
    2006 - Summer was my favourite ever
    2005 - Summer was alright... nothing remarkably decent but wasn't terribly bad
    2004 (some might have mixed opinions on this Spring) - Like 2005, wasn't terribly bad
    2002 - Man... dullest Summer I ever experienced

And there we go, there's the positives, only one recent bad one in this list!

Advertisement