Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Knock Airport recorded 110 hours in March (121% of its LTA). Wow, this has been a long time since it recorded way above its average this high (well without April 2015).

2014 was previously its dullest year on record before 2015 came which was even duller. Man it's shocking to see this now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well, in for an unsettled spell of weather over the next few days. Talking of the unstable air on the very informative weather forecast last night producing Cb's with thunderstorms and hail over the next few days , cameras at the ready!

Blustery day tomorrow right into Thurs morning.

NlYuuCd.gif

Wintry weather over the week end after the fronts go through on Fri with a very cold Fri night / Sat morning according to the GFS

VbafNKj.gif

GkxStsF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This morning started out overcast, a shower of rain even pushed through around 8am! Clouds dispersed through the afternoon giving sunny spells and then an extended period of sunshine from 3:30pm (ish) to 6pm. Got cloudier since then, now its a horrible light drizzle/rain with poor visibility and truly miserable.

Daily max 14.6c.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    This morning started out overcast, a shower of rain even pushed through around 8am! Clouds dispersed through the afternoon giving sunny spells and then an extended period of sunshine from 3:30pm (ish) to 6pm. Got cloudier since then, now its a horrible light drizzle/rain with poor visibility and truly miserable.

Daily max 14.6c.

It has been truly pleasant here all day up to 13.9c (not as high as yours though) - I bet you're jealous now LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's like mid-February out there now.

Roll on next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

In cavan meath border temps plumeted to 3.0c rain turning sleety

Wow temperatures of only 6-8c during the weekend coming and I predicted 14.0c on the 10th in the Boards contest, :o:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Terrible wind chill there.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

was sitting in my office about 2ish looking out the window and saw the mother and father of all showers, rain with a sleety mix very dark skies

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Terrible wind chill there.

At one stage around 14.45 the temp dropped during a huge hail shower from 9.2C to 5.6C in blustery wind ( getting up over 60 kph ) giving a wind chill of 1.1C.

4.6C now after another hail and rain shower with a wind chill of -0.6

Even so the sun continues to get strong. Got a Solar Radiation reading of 912W/m² and UV of 4.2 , plenty strong to give a good colour. Noticed today that the wet roads dried up very quickly after the showers , refueling the atmosphere of course :)

• Advertisement

Was out training tonight it's absolutely skinning cold horrible night. Is there some talk of better weather next week?

Was out training tonight it's absolutely skinning cold horrible night. Is there some talk of better weather next week?

No sign at the moment I'm afraid :(:mad:. What happens with this area of low pressure over the weekend is very uncertain right now.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No sign at the moment I'm afraid :(:mad:. What happens with this area of low pressure over the weekend is very uncertain right now.

I thought there was some talk of it after the news last night?

From met eireann : "There is a signal for an improvement to somewhat milder conditions from Monday on but it remains unsettled with further rain or showers."

Just reading the met eireann forecast for the weekend it honestly reads like something that you would see in mid January. Spring my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

God this is depressing.

Those foreign property websites are getting some views in this house. Small farms in the Gallicia area of Spain. From 30k to 150k. Some with vineyards!

*Stares wistfully out of the window to observe acres of mud and thinks of what could be*

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yesterday had this almighty hail shower here north of Kilkenny city, the place was white in a matter of seconds, the shower which lasted about 20 minutes give or take overall changed to rain and then it was starting to turn to snow before the shower cleared.
    Temperature in the shower went down to 2.7C and the daily mean temperature was 5.0C.

I was looking at my records and last year for the same day the temperature reached a max of 18.9C with a mean temperature of 11.3C.
    That said April 2015 had a very cold end to the month.
    Maybe we get the reverse this year, well I hope so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Just reading the met eireann forecast for the weekend it honestly reads like something that you would see in mid January. Spring my arse.

If only we did read such forecasts in mid-January :rolleyes:

Think of all those folk who were insisting Spring started on the 1st of February...just as our long warm spell was ending!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Look on the positive side!

Recent colder than normal Aprils and the Summers that followed them

2015 (well April was pretty variable really) - Summer was meh.. pretty average
    2013 - Epic Summer, one of the better ones.
    2012 - Worst Summer I have experienced (though 1986 is the worst in Grange's records...)
    2000 - A grand Summer, wasn't remarkably great but wasn't very bad either! It was a good Summer to experience as a whole.
    1998 - Horrible June & July with an alright August - so a bad Summer
    1994 - Exceptionally dull and cool Summer - one of the worst

WOW... I expected more than that. Only 2013 and 2000?

Well Spring meanwhile

2015 - Summer was meh (as I said above)
    2013 - Again... epic Summer
    2006 - Summer was my favourite ever
    2005 - Summer was alright... nothing remarkably decent but wasn't terribly bad
    2004 (some might have mixed opinions on this Spring) - Like 2005, wasn't terribly bad
    2002 - Man... dullest Summer I ever experienced

And there we go, there's the positives, only one recent bad one in this list!

Really wouldn't count 2013 as an epic summer. 3 great weeks in July. Actually in Ireland that is epic apologies.

In fairness Clonmel, it was a great summer. 3 amazing weeks in July is a VERY good Irish summer.

I really think you need to emigrate, your standards for Irish weather are far too high, that's why they are never being met.

• Advertisement

In fairness Clonmel, it was a great summer. 3 amazing weeks in July is a VERY good Irish summer.

I really think you need to emigrate, your standards for Irish weather are far too high, that's why they are never being met.
    Which I acknowledged. Pity some in the winter thread wouldn't take their own advice when it comes to expectations and snow....i have zero expectations for our weather trust me although I get amused/annoyed when I see people telling us that frankly rubbish wet weather is somehow welcome or not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

You know, even the day of the week the good weather is on matters. I liked summer 2014 and I feel like it was good on the weekends, sryanbruen might be able to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I agree with Syran. Summer 2013 was a good summer. Not just because of the hot spell in July, but also because of a fair amount of dry, sunny and warm weather in June. Early June 2013 was especially beautiful and while not quite as warm as the following month, it was of a higher calibre than what occurred in July imo.

New Moon

Which I acknowledged. Pity some in the winter thread wouldn't take their own advice when it comes to expectations and snow....i have zero expectations for our weather trust me although I get amused/annoyed when I see people telling us that frankly rubbish wet weather is somehow welcome or not so bad.

It goes both ways though. If I see a warm spell, I will get excited, If I see a very cold spell, I'll get excited.

I understand for you, you appear to be quite outdoorsy, rain and sh1te can be very unwelcome. But for me, sometimes there's nothing nicer than sitting on front of the fire on a windy, wet winters night with a cup of tea/some assorted alcohol. Of course in April, it gets pretty annoying.

sumtings wrote: »
    You know, even the day of the week the good weather is on matters. I liked summer 2014 and I feel like it was good on the weekends, sryanbruen might be able to confirm

And I will be able to confirm. I will post tomorrow for y'all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

In Ireland, constantly complaining about wet weather is a bit like posting every evening "I getting sick of this bloody country, it's getting dark again tonight" :)

Another miserable spring day to report today😊

Snow showers in the TAF for NOC from 2am-6am tonight.

Reported as Snow-Rain (sleet) for SNN and graupel for DUB and ORK.

sumtings wrote: »

Confirmation

June 2014

7th/8th - A mixed bag of sunshine and showers but warm of 16-19c largely - not bad for early June - in Ireland!
    14th/15th - Sunny spells and warm. Highs getting up to 22c in places where sun was best to be seen.
    21st/22nd - Sunny spells and warm again.
    28th/29th - 28th was largely showery but the 29th was mostly fine. Both days were warm but the nights were very cold, especially for June.

July 2014

5th/6th - Showers in the west but mostly fine elsewhere with pleasant sunny spells and though it was cool, it felt nice in the sun!
    12th/13th - The 12th was largely cloudy with drizzle but it wasn't cool! The 13th was a mixed bag with patchy rain in parts but mostly dry with some sunny spells and warm.
    19th/20th - Very humid and warm weekend but with scattered showers about and some sunny intervals. Some showers were very heavy on the 19th.
    26th/27th - Sunshine and showers but warm!

August 2014

2nd/3rd - On the 2nd, parts of the east had their wettest August day on record (including me) whilst the west escaped with sunny conditions. The 3rd was sunshine and showers. The 2nd was cool in the east but elsewhere (and everywhere on the 3rd), it was warm.
    9th/10th - The 9th was a fairly quiet day with just the odd shower but sunny spells largely and warm. The 10th had sunshine and showers. However, Hurricane Bertha (which had most effect on the UK) brought heavy rain in the early morning to the eastern regions. It was a cooler day also.
    16th/17th - Sunshine and showers. Unseasonably cool.
    23rd/24th - The 23rd was a quiet day with sunshine and showers whilst the 24th had rain in the southwest but both days were very cool. The 23rd had the coldest August night on record in Northern Ireland as a matter of fact.
    30th/31st - The 30th had sunny spells and it was milder than recent days in the sun! The 31st was dry in the east but ex-hurricane Cristobel affected the west - though rain was not heavy at all! In fact this ex-hurricane helped build the high pressure in the very dry September after this soggy August.

I'd say it would depend on month as each month was different in Summer 2014!

June 2014 - Quiet, warm and dry mostly
    July 2014 - Warm and showery
    August 2014 - Wet or showery and cool

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I agree with Syran. Summer 2013 was a good summer. Not just because of the hot spell in July, but also because of a fair amount of dry, sunny and warm weather in June. Early June 2013 was especially beautiful and while not quite as warm as the following month, it was of a higher calibre than what occurred in July imo.

True!

June 2013 - Started off with a very sunny and pleasant beginning to the month with temperatures up to 20-22c in many places in the sun. On the 10th, however, things went down hill and rain began showing its hand. In fact on the 10th and 14th, Valentia Observatory recorded 32mm on both of these days (64mm). After this soggy week, the rest of June was mixed with sunny spells, temperatures not particularly remarkable (not very cold nor very hot) and showers. Any rainfall was very weak! June was one of the more memorable Summer months due to its beginning and the weak precipitation after the period 10th-14th.

July 2013 - Well unlike how June began, it started off largely unsettled and cool actually! On the 2nd, I recorded 12mm of rainfall. However, from the 4th onwards, a blocking high brought a long drought in places until the 22nd. This was the most memorable heatwave or drought in Ireland since July 2006. There was unstoppable sunshine from the 8th-12th whilst from the 13th-16th, it was cloudier in most places (due to rainfall near the west of Ireland whilst it was actually in the west of Scotland). However, on the 17th-19th, sunshine was again widespread with temperatures up to 31c in Kerry on the 19th - the highest in Ireland since June 1976. The 20th-22nd was more cloudy but there was still some sunny spells plus it was very warm still. From the 23rd to the end of the month, it was unsettled but still largely warm!!!! In fact, July went out with a BANG. Some places recorded over 60mm on the 24th alone just because of the thunderstorms and heavy rainfall which was caused by the heat. In spite of the drought, July 2013 was a wetter than normal month in many places because of the way it went out with a bang. The heatwave and drought of July 2013 was what made Summer 2013 memorable in the UK and Ireland but it is not only why I consider it an epic Summer!

August 2013 - The whole month was mixed with no long dry spells or no long wet spells. After the 1st-4th, precipitation was mostly low and was not an issue! However, the 15th was an exception as well as the 20th in northwestern regions. August was largely dull compared to the past two months. In spite of this fact, from my own experience, August did not feel all that dull! In fact, it was very pleasant like the past two months! It was mostly warm throughout but not exceptionally so with loads of 20-22c from time to time which is what I'd like to see right now (in April 2016!!) but no we get 8-10c.

Though August was the worst of the three, each of the months of Summer 2013 had a pleasant factor to my life weather wise and that is why I considered it an epic Summer (by Ireland standards).

Advertisement