Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry and bright in castlebar in more or less calm conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

pad199207 wrote: »
    Heavy Shower after breaking out here in Naas
    Spawned in the Wicklow mountains interestingly
    Both Wicklow and Kildare in met Eireann's mostly dry and bright category for forecasting today...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Got 1.0mm from the edge of that shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Haven't a clue what shower you are on about :pac:, it has been bone dry at Grange all day long so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lashing again here now.

• Advertisement

It is so far my 2nd coldest Spring on record with a mean temperature of just 6.3c, +0.2c above Spring 2013's 6.1c. Of course, we're not even halfway through the season so this value is 99% likely expected to rise significantly and that this Spring will not be as cold as this.

March records

- The most average March in terms of rainfall on record (exactly average!)
    - The sixth coldest March on record
    - Nothing remarkable sunshine wise (one of the duller in recent ones as a matter of fact though not nearly as dull as 2013)

April records (1st-13th)

- The wettest start to April on record
    - The dullest start to April on record
    - The second coldest start to April on record

So far, Spring 2016 has been exceptionally poor at Grange. Again, though we have seen worse, Spring 2013 comes to mind :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It is so far my 2nd coldest Spring on record with a mean temperature of just 6.3c, +0.2c above Spring 2013's 6.1c. Of course, we're not even halfway through the season so this value is 99% likely expected to rise significantly and that this Spring will not be as cold as this.

March records

- The most average March in terms of rainfall on record (exactly average!)
    - The sixth coldest March on record
    - Nothing remarkable sunshine wise (one of the duller in recent ones as a matter of fact though not nearly as dull as 2013)

April records (1st-13th)

- The wettest start to April on record
    - The dullest start to April on record
    - The second coldest start to April on record

So far, Spring 2016 has been exceptionally poor at Grange. Again, though we have seen worse, Spring 2013 comes to mind :rolleyes:.

March 2013 was painful. Dull, cold days and loads of marginal snow events. I will always remember March 2013 as being the month of "if only this had happened in January". The northern blocking throughout the month was seriously impressive, but the depth of the cold mediocre (with the exception of one day where we got -12 uppers from Scandinavia - Waterford/Wexford did quite well snow wise that day if I remember correctly. Also,the Ulster blizzard was quite impressive at the end of that month).

patneve2 wrote: »
    March 2013 was painful. Dull, cold days and loads of marginal snow events. I will always remember March 2013 as being the month of "if only this had happened in January". The northern blocking throughout the month was seriously impressive, but the depth of the cold mediocre (with the exception of one day where we got -12 uppers from Scandinavia - Waterford/Wexford did quite well snow wise that day if I remember correctly. Also,the Ulster blizzard was quite impressive at the end of that month).

Then that summer 2013 :cool:

Finally some consecutive good dry days next week! Who's ready for them? 'Cause I sure am, dry days you're very welcomed here any time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just to summarise as we hit mid April it hasn't been a good spring at all. Its been cold wet and not very sunny. Hopefully things are set to improve somewhere as syran has mentioned above. Would perhaps like ti have seen the temperatures rise a bit too though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just to summarise as we hit mid April it hasn't been a good spring at all. Its been cold wet and not very sunny. Hopefully things are set to improve somewhere as syran has mentioned above. Would perhaps like ti have seen the temperatures rise a bit too though.

seems like we just can't catch a break in this country between our mild/warm winters and cold/wet Springs and cloudy/cool summers.

Finally some consecutive good dry days next week! Who's ready for them? 'Cause I sure am, dry days you're very welcomed here any time! :D

Yeah im looking forward to it. But not looking forward to when Mother Nature tries balancing it out afterwards by flooding some part of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah im looking forward to it. But not looking forward to when Mother Nature tries balancing it out afterwards by flooding some part of the country

This has been the pattern no doubt about it sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gonzo wrote: »
    seems like we just can't catch a break in this country between our mild/warm winters and cold/wet Springs and cloudy/cool summers.

I'm only slightly joking but that is very catching a break - ask people living under threat of drought, tornados, hurricanes, massively sub zero temperatures, or sauna-like swamplands...and that's just in the USA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

I'd love to do a correlation exercise between the number of posts on the forum and the type of weather we are experiencing, today's been very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Todays not the best day of the week here to be honest. Warm. Mostly cloudy with a few partially developed thunderstorm clouds. Easterly breeze still around.

Nothing to report to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sumtings wrote: »
    I'd love to do a correlation exercise between the number of posts on the forum and the type of weather we are experiencing, today's been very quiet.

You should see some of the winter threads. Today was a normal spring day not to warm not to cold not to sunny not to cloudy. Great to have it dry and bright though.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Todays not the best day of the week here to be honest. Warm. Mostly cloudy with a few partially developed thunderstorm clouds. Easterly breeze still around.

Nothing to report to be honest.

Yeah pretty much the same, a couple of nearly significant showers but other than that just...

Grange's best-worst days of April 2016 so far

1. Wednesday 13th
    2. Tuesday 5th
    3. Thursday 7th
    4. Tuesday 12th
    5. Thursday 14th
    6. Saturday 9th
    7. Wednesday 6th
    8. Sunday 10th
    9. Friday 8th
    10. Monday 4th
    11. Sunday 3rd
    12. Friday 1st
    13. Saturday 2nd
    14. Monday 11th

It's not the best day of the week either here Carnacalla, yesterday was!

You should see some of the winter threads. Today was a normal spring day not to warm not to cold not to sunny not to cloudy. Great to have it dry and bright though.

Its great that its bright, I love the bit of blue even if its broken up by cloud. I've been a kinda lurker since the 2013/2014 winter season, ever since the lightning of the 22nd/23rd Dec 2013 if memory serves me right, some of the posts per hour have been incredible since then.

• Advertisement

Its great that its bright, I love the bit of blue even if its broken up by cloud. I've been a kinda lurker since the 2013/2014 winter season, ever since the lightning of the 22nd/23rd Dec 2013 if memory serves me right, some of the posts per hour have been incredible since then.

Well here's an image of Kerry on 22 Dec 2013 before that storm that came.

Well here's an image of Kerry on 22 Dec 2013 before that storm that came.

Is that the sunbeam? Just googled it, I wasn't aware of it previously thanks!

Is that the sunbeam? Just googled it, I wasn't aware of it previously thanks!

Sorry, what? The picture shows a part of Kerry where people are at a beach. It is a very cloudy day with pitch-grey clouds before the storm of December 23, 2013 which was named Cyclone Dirk.

You can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ICeK53znag

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sorry, what?

The clue is there....'the' sunbeam, not, 'a' sunbeam. :)

http://www.thejournal.ie/sunbeam-shhipwreck-1257496-Jan2014/

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The clue is there....'the' sunbeam, not, 'a' sunbeam. :)

http://www.thejournal.ie/sunbeam-shhipwreck-1257496-Jan2014/

Oh sorry, thanks for showing me the difference there between "a" and "the" :pac::pac::pac:. Here's your answer sumtings anyways.

Oh sorry, thanks for showing me the difference there between "a" and "the" :pac::pac::pac:. Here's your answer sumtings anyways.

Well I shuda used a capital S :)

It was actually this I remembered the 21st Dec 2013, fireworks.

http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp?ReportDate=21/12/2013

It was actually this I remembered the 21st Dec 2013, fireworks.

http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp?ReportDate=21/12/2013

Well I never knew of any thunderstorms around this time, all I knew about was Cyclone Dirk which was the second most vicious storm that I've seen hit the British Isles.

Should we get back to talking about spring weather? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Beautiful spring morning in Galway City today.

Advertisement