Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Lugnaquilla is plastered in snow this evening

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ppn in Co. Down atm, moving south. Could give a wintry mix! Certainly if it reaches the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains, should be more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ppn in Co. Down atm, moving south. Could give a wintry mix! Certainly if it reaches the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains, should be more snow.

Was just looking at that. Looks to be weakening ever so slightly. Not sure if the Irish Sea will pep things up. SST's are at about 9c and 850hpa temps are about -6 - About 15c difference. DP's over land are already around/below 0c (currently -2 DP being reported at Dublin airport). And the band is currently heading straight for the Dublin area. All sounds too good to be true so conditions will undoubtedly become less favourable in the coming hours.....unless you happen to be heading to the Dublin/Wicklow mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowing heavily here in Roundwood. +2.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Next WE looks even colder on tonights models - just goes to show we always get our quota of cold weather. Something I suspected would happen after yet another stupidly mild winter - how we could do with those blowtorch south Westerlies now!!(without the rain of course;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport reporting light showers of snow at 8:30am and 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Beautiful spring morning down in West cork, blue sky, crisp and bright. Going by the satellite image something I look to be sharing with most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I just thought that this would be an interesting read to share. It is a report of the weather during the Easter Rising 1916, 100 years ago and how it compares to now.

http://www.met.ie/UserMediaUpl/file/WeatherofEaster1916.pdf

Just to summarise as we hit mid April it hasn't been a good spring at all. Its been cold wet and not very sunny. Hopefully things are set to improve somewhere as syran has mentioned above. Would perhaps like ti have seen the temperatures rise a bit too though.

And sadly it doesn't look like temperatures will rise much. Winds will turn from northerly to northwesterly and by the end of next week, a northerly again. Both are never warm directions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It's dry but it's cold 7 degrees with a wind chill. More cloud than sun. It's infinitely better than a lot of weekends we've had but you'd like to see a bit of milder weather making an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Knock airport reporting light showers of snow at 8:30am and 9am.

I was awoken during the night by strong winds from the northeast and very heavy hail
    It sounded like someone was throwing screenings at the window

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just got the grass cut, and, now a shower of graupel (in Dublin 16)!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just got the grass cut, and, now a shower of graupel (in Dublin 16)!

Here now in Sandyford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Brief grapuel/rain shower just passed through. Felt warm in the sun just half an hour ago!

For the start of May, it doesn't look like changing :(. Winds changing from northwesterly to northerly throughout with showery rain as a key element and only little sunshine with below average temperatures.

^ Best news ever.... (sarcasm)

I think March will be colder than average, though not near as cold as March 2013. A lot of you will be saying if only we had this pattern in January.

April will be cloudy and cool.

and the summer is going to be a good one overall, however the north west will have rain and strong winds from time to time

...and then next winter we will see a Greenland express, courtesy of an 1065 high pressure system over Greenland, which plunges us into a freeze for two solid months. M.T. Cranium will be desperately trying to offer hope to the snow haters that there is an end in sight to the big freeze:D

You're dead right so far nacho.. but you didn't say what May will be like?

I think it's likely to be close to what you've suggested, although I would expect perhaps a bit more sunshine in March because of a northeast component to the flow at times. Long warm spells are more likely in May and the summer months given the hemispheric pattern changes underway. One of the better analogues at present is 2013. That is meant to apply to the present and future and not to the lead-up.

For the record, I will say this:

March -- mixture of cool, dry spells with possible local snow streamers, and near normal spells of cloudy sometimes rainy spells, temperatures 1 to 2 below normal.

April -- dull, wet with one or two brief warm spells, temperatures close to normal.

May -- warm and dry, temperatures 1 to 2 above normal.

summer -- one of the better ones, perhaps almost as good as 2013 or 1995.

and next winter of course will be fabulous. Next winter always is.

Correct so far MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are temperature really close to normal so far this April? To answer your question, i think it will begin to warm up towards the middle of May.

I hope so anyway. if we keep getting synoptic charts during the summer of 2017, that would have delivered a lot the white stuff during last winter, i will be very, very annoyed.

I have no scientific way of measuring temperatures this April but common sense would tell me that its colder than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Another beautiful spring morning in the south west

• Advertisement

I have no scientific way of measuring temperatures this April but common sense would tell me that its colder than average.

Eh yeah...

My mean temperature for April 2016 up to the 16th is 6.7c which is -1.4c below the LTA.

In Kildare this morning temperature 11 degrees sun in and out more cloud than sun now. It's nippy enough tbh. Dark clouds starting to gather. Driving up I could hear radio jocks telling their listening public to get out and enjoy the summer weather. It was 5 degrees at the time.

So far in the 2010s, Grange has recorded four extremely wet months (300+% of LTA rainfall) {April 2012, June 2012, February 2014 and December 2015}. Could April 2016 make it? So far it's at 257% of the LTA. Unless Mother Nature throws us with a big surprise at the last week of the month with very heavy rain, it looks very unlikely to be considered one of them months.

Winds coming from the Arctic again later next week? HINT HINT... remember the same time last year in April 2015?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Winds coming from the Arctic again later next week? HINT HINT... remember the same time last year in April 2015?

That would be scaraveen(not too sure of its spelling)last fortnight of April and first fortnight of may

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Getting really fed up with this constant chill (rather than full on interesting cold) that is in the air this last month. Today started nice and had planned a day in the garden to get a few things done and to get some much needed sun, but as soon as I went out the clouds rolled in to blot out any comfortable heat. :mad:

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Getting really fed up with this constant chill (rather than full on interesting cold) that is in the air this last month. Today started nice and had planned a day in the garden to get a few things done and to get some much needed sun, but as soon as I went out the clouds rolled in to blot out any comfortable heat. :mad:

Yeah if the weather wants to be cold, at least make it remarkably cold....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

feeling rather cool here in castlebar at 9.7 degrees in a moderate westerly breeze, certainly taking the edge of an already cool temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the 1600 reports show a similar scenario right across the country with every station reporting cloudy conditions and temperatures between 9-11 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was out on the bike earlier and it was glorious, now its cloudy and cold but its dry so i wont be complaining

Advertisement