Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Was out on the bike earlier and it was glorious, now its cloudy and cold but its dry so i wont be complaining

Yeah still a lot better than what last Monday brought...

I'm still calling for a warmer than normal May, anybody else think so also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah still a lot better than what last Monday brought...

Agreed but using last Monday as a barometer isn't really realistic. At this stage dry weather in any guise is being welcomed. There was nothing exceptional about today it foul have been early march as much as mid April....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Is this an error or what? This is an insane chart for the time of year!

gfs-1-162.png?12

Is this an error or what? This is an insane chart for the time of year!

gfs-1-162.png?12

Well it's kind of an error. I'm expecting much colder than normal temperatures but not this low....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The same temperature in central Greenland as in Lisbon? Has to be an error!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The same temperature in central Greenland as in Lisbon? Has to be an error!

Didn't notice that :pac:. Then it's definitely an error!

Not necessarily an error, strong Greenland blocking usually results in unusual temperature anomalies in the North Atlantic, an good example here during our famous cold spell.

ECM0-0.GIF?00

Not necessarily an error, strong Greenland blocking usually results in unusual temperature anomalies in the North Atlantic, an good example here during our famous cold spell.

ECM0-0.GIF?00

Now you're making me sad :( giving me nostalgia of that beautiful month that I have come to love - and **** off December 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Indeed, looks like a pretty exceptional cold spell is on the cards. With snowfall likely in places (obviously dependent on time of day and height above sea-level). However, for late April it looks to be something pretty special.

It's being heralded for a while now too.

Although with it being late April it will actually feel pleasant in any sunshine.

ECM1-192.GIF

• Advertisement

Indeed, looks like a pretty exceptional cold spell is on the cards. With snowfall likely in places (obviously dependent on time of day and height above sea-level). However, for late April it looks to be something pretty special.

It's being heralded for a while now too.

Although with it being late April it will actually feel pleasant in any sunshine.

ECM1-192.GIF

Will it be colder than late April last year?

Also to note, looking at the synoptic, it looks like a long lasting set-up, so I would not rule out the potential for some May snow-fall :O

ECM1-240.GIF

Also to note, looking at the synoptic, it looks like a long lasting set-up, so I would not rule out the potential for some May snow-fall :O

ECM1-240.GIF

I'll be keeping my eye on the Azores high which brought the fine Summer of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

ECM1-240.GIF

Is it not meant to get milder from mid week? Caught a bit of the forecast tonight and I'm pretty sure I heard ME say temperatures up to 14/15 Tuesday and Wednesday? When us the cold spell coming? Hopefully it goes the way of our winter ones and amounts to nothing. We need a blast of mild dry weather.

Is it not meant to get milder from mid week? Caught a bit of the forecast tonight and I'm pretty sure I heard ME say temperatures up to 14/15 Tuesday and Wednesday? When us the cold spell coming? Hopefully it goes the way of our winter ones and amounts to nothing. We need a blast of mild dry weather.

Friday onwards

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Friday onwards

Thanks syran just in time for the weekend so.

Briefly milder mid-week. Thereafter, it is a kind of lock-in synoptic. Below average for at least 7 days.

Of course in sheltered parts it could actually be pleasant, especially if the Atlantic block ridges a little further east than currently progged.

There could be some beefy hail and thunder showers during the daytime.

However, overall temperatures will be significantly below average, frost is likely by night and temporary snow-events are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Thanks syran just in time for the weekend so.

On the contrary mt is predicting cooler conditions best weekend with wintry showers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

On the contrary mt is predicting cooler conditions best weekend with wintry showers

But sryanbruen posted that colder weather is expected from Friday onwards - I think you may have misread his post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its looking rather cloudy but for anyone with clear skies tonight the Moon will be extremely close to Jupiter .one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is difficult looking at these eye candy charts two months too late, had we them last Winter it could have been December 2010 again.
    I wonder what Cohen has to say about all this. Is this courtesy of the SSW event a few weeks back?

highdef wrote: »
    But sryanbruen posted that colder weather is expected from Friday onwards - I think you may have misread his post!

Yes because around mid-week, temperatures are expected to be just about average, if not slightly (very slightly) below in the east. Arctic air will plunge on Friday behind a cold front pushing down from Scotland.

Despite being colder, the weekend is looking mostly dry and pleasantly sunny. Since the sun is strong at this time of year, it won't feel too bad.

Now it looks like a cold front WILL NOT push southwards Friday as the cold front looks like to have mysteriously disappeared. Instead, the winds just turn to a northerly on their own - so still getting the unusual late April cold. The BBC say wintry showers are certainly possible - of course less likely here in Ireland sadly compared to the UK, like they're even talking 'bout the blizzards of April 1981 for Christ sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

And more interestingly, the BBC are saying the cold spell may continue into May!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could well be snow on the mountains next week. Temps could struggle in mid-high single digits next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Its looking on the cold side for the first half of April and I think we are in for one of those rare occurrences when April will be colder than December, obviously it only happens after a very mild December and has only happened five time since records began in 1855 at the Phoenix Park.
    Dec 1857 8.8c April 1858 8.2c
    Dec 1905 7.4c April 1906 6.2c
    Dec 1921 7.4c April 1922 4.6c
    Dec 1934 8.5c April 1935 7.3c
    Dec 1977 6.6c April 1978 6.5c
    Dec 2015 9.0c April ?
    A colder April than December is now odds on with an unusually cold end to April now imminent. At the moment the April mean is 7.2c compared with 8.9c in December. This will be sixth time in 160 years at the Phoenix Park, an average of once every 27 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Typical now we get easterlies and blocking just when we don't want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very warm here today in West Clare. Quiet unpleasant in heavy clothes.

Advertisement