Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

One of the coldest days of the year for me the wind would cut ya

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Today is certainly a mix of all seasons.

First it is graupel. Then it's blue skies everywhere and soon a heavy shower and freezing cold in it. Then blue skies again and feeling quite warm - without adding on the wind chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭bnt

26th April late spring in Ireland.....
    Not just Ireland - Scotland and England are getting quite a bit of snow today, says the Daily Mail.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

bnt wrote: »
    Not just Ireland - Scotland and England are getting quite a bit of snow today, says the Daily Mail.

A small bit, the daily mail would report on a half melted ball of graupel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

have seen everything today, rain, hail, graupal, flakes of snow and sleet. Horrible cold day, feel absolutely bitter in that wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Chart from this time last year. Every bit as cold as this time around. In fact, just looking at that stats, cold spells seem to be quite common at this time of year as we have only to go back to the end of April 2012, 2013 & 2015 to see pretty much similar temps to the present.
    map.png

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Chart from this time last year. Every bit as cold as this time around. In fact, just looking at that stats, cold spells seem to be quite common at this time of year as we have only to go back to the end of April 2012, 2013 & 2015 to see pretty much similar temps to the present.
    map.png

That's maybe because before these Aprils, a warm end to the month was much more common and it is just Mother Nature's idea of evening things out with it.

2011 - Very warm end (as was the whole month generally)
    2010 - Meh... quite average - not particularly cold
    2009 - Again quite average
    2008 - Mild
    2007 - Mild / warm (days were variable)
    2006 - Mild
    2005 - Mild
    2004 - Mild
    2003 - Mild
    2002 - Mild
    2001 - Mild

^ Yep I was right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    map.png

Yeah sure this was Punchestown last year. Same time

2qatpc6.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very cold and widespread freezing for large parts of the country the next few nights. I've heard of farmers bringing in animals the last few nights as it is too cold for them being out.

23tu4rx.gif?1

4Q3NYpi.gif?1

nFAn7qS.gif?1

Very Heavy Hail today in Naas

107s8xl.jpg
    kf32uq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That's maybe because before these Aprils, a warm end to the month was much more common and it is just Mother Nature's idea of evening things out with it.

^ Yep I was right

It is reasonable to expect the end of April to end on a warmish note, but just saying that cold snaps like this are not that unusual either - or at least, they weren't.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It's absolutely freezing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Certainly a cold night ahead, 11pm reports- Claremorris at 1 degree and several other stations at 2 degrees. a crispy sunny morning lies ahead....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I spent the day in Norfolk. It felt with the windchill, from the breeze , that it was close to freezing point rather than 8 degrees. I've never experienced windchill like that before at the end of April.

Certainly a cold night ahead, 11pm reports- Claremorris at 1 degree and several other stations at 2 degrees. a crispy sunny morning lies ahead....

And it is, the sun is splitting the stones here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Overnight low of -2.7 in north Kildare and it was -2.4 at 07:01 this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It was snowing here this morning in Donegal, some of the hills have a blanket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Any indications of whether it will get warmer or are we stuck with this cold crappy weather ?

screamer wrote: »
    Any indications of whether it will get warmer or are we stuck with this cold crappy weather ?

Probably September just as kids go back after their 'summer' holidaysðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

While I'd agree it's very cold out, it hasn't really been all that 'crappy' to be honest. Lots of sunshine, not too much in the way of precipitation. Next couple of days with some rain AND cold, that'll be ****e. MT's forecast indicates that we are looking at the Arctic blocking breaking up in about a week, which might make it a bit rainer, but temps should increase substantially at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Probably September just as kids go back after their 'summer' holidaysðŸ˜႒

No I beg to differ, the first 3 weeks of June are always guaranteed to be sunny, as the Leaving and Junior Certs exams are on :D

Well structured cell earlier

311qfdx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No rain here yesterday and today, strange that.

Too cold out though.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    No I beg to differ, the first 3 weeks of June are always guaranteed to be sunny, as the Leaving and Junior Certs exams are on :D

ONE big exception, 2012!

There has been a great contrast between the two halves of this April at Grange.

Mean temperature

1st-15th: 6.9c
    16th-27th: 6.5c

Rainfall

1st-15th: 98.3mm
    16th-27th: 0.8mm

Sunshine

1st-15th: 59 hours
    16th-27th: 91 hours

The second half is not even done yet and it is already way sunnier than the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I got caught in a shower of what felt like half hail, half graupel on the bike on the way home this evening. It was in the Dublin 12 area and I thought I'd just miss out on it because I could see it in the distance to my north, but I got it. I wished that I still had my beard to protect my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Snowing in Belfast!

Like a winters day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Heavy snow in Roundwood at 8am this morning. Was sticking on higher ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

It's definitely woolly jumper weather out there today! That NW'ly breeze is freezing. Currently 7.0C here in Galway city but it feels like 3.1C with the wind chill - the icy showers are just adding to the joy.......

Advertisement