Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Some mammatus developed a few minutes ago ... just spotted it when glancing out the window from the office here in Donnybrook. It was at the trailing edge of a very dark cloud bank which passed over somewhere not far NW of Ranelagh. No pics unfortunately.

Many thanks for all the earlier posts folks about the weather around the country.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

13076779_905909329519004_3443655797121665105_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b7638a387ca29457a5646f4073569339&oe=57BE6B2A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Atrocious driving conditions on M8 this evening. Hail like golf balls dark 3 degrees even the normally cheer leading radio DJs were a bit down beat about the start of our "summer". Things can only get better I guess.

Great stats by Syren above re temps pretty much validates our 2 season climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I have not had any perfect prediction (100% on point) so far this year

Mean temperatures

January: 5.2c (+0.7c above my predicted mean)
    February: 4.2c (+0.6c above my predicted mean)
    March: 5.7c (-1.0c below my predicted mean)
    April: 6.6c (+0.5c above my predicted mean)

Rainfall

January: 112.0mm (+17.0mm above my predicted rainfall)
    February: 61.2mm (+31.9mm above my predicted rainfall)
    March: 46.1mm (-26.1mm below my predicted rainfall)
    April: 104.0mm (+10.2mm above my predicted rainfall)

I didn't predict sunshine totals exactly (just summaries like "sunnier" or "duller" than normal) but here are the actual values so far with differences from my predictions.

I have been quite close in January and April in terms of rainfall whilst I have been close in April and February in terms of temperature. Will I be able to get a "perfect prediction" :rolleyes:?

No records broken so far this year

January: Second wettest on record
    February: Nothing remarkable at all
    March: Nothing remarkable at all
    April: Second wettest on record

I am still sticking to my prediction from January of that May is going to be a dry and sunny month with average temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna Donnelly on the late late show now

• Advertisement

Fair play to her for giving the media a good wrap on the knuckles about making up headlines to sell papers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Lots of exterior work booked in this summer, I need dry weather. :(

1st day of summer 2016. Down in west Kerry for weekend. Dull grey misty wet start.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

1st day of summer 2016. Down in west Kerry for weekend. Dull grey misty wet start.......
    It's May, not June. Over to the religion forum with you if today is to be considered the first day of summer. In the weather forum, today is NOT the first day of summer.

highdef wrote: »
    It's May, not June. Over to the religion forum with you if today is to be considered the first day of summer. In the weather forum, today is NOT the first day of summer.

Didn't take long for someone to bite!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

yeah and a poor start to the new week as well...........;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Didn't take long for someone to bite!!

Your in a weather forum at the end of the day :rolleyes:

There is some warmer weather on the horizon now though with some warm continental air moving NW.

I'll be keeping an eye on this setup for some potentially nice thunderstorm activity. :)
    384773.png

384774.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just judging by your posts over the winter, I think the weather is just following you now, please dont visit county meath anytime soon ;)

Ha ha honestly its grey foggy and breezy here. I'm not kidding anyone just being honest in my assessment. Its not a nice day in coastal Kerry today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So we are starting the last month of Spring here (Kilkenny hills) with the warmest day of the year so far :)
    Currently 16.7C, sunshine and clouds.

BBC say 20c next week, even in Northern Ireland (we could be above 20c) and Scotland. I do not believe this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Feels kind of explosively warm in Dublin today - not that its very warm or anything, just very muggy and windy making it feel like a thunderstorm is on the way

MJohnston wrote: »
    Feels kind of explosively warm in Dublin today - not that its very warm or anything, just very muggy and windy making it feel like a thunderstorm is on the way

Well heavy overnight rain is coming if that counts (potentially very heavy in places).

Reached 18.2C in Kilkenny city - via kilkennyweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS showing a good improvement in Temps for Ireland from around the 9th on, untill then modest enough but getting into the mid teens at least some days.

RBxnYUm.gif

5XWCYon.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Could be shot for saying this around here but I need tonights rainfall as my ponds are nearly empty with just about 10mm in the last 16 days.

Could get about 8-10 mm from the cold front in the early hours here in Kerry, should be gone through by 09.00 so hopefully can get out to do a few jobs around the place. Showers during the day but hopefully will pass through quickly.

IvsSOtj.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Monsoonal downpour here in chapelizod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Of course the chances of this happening is zilch but one must keep some shred of hope in these bleak times.

384825.PNG

incredible-lightning-strike-while-driving-animated-gif.gif

New Moon

Some rain would be good for the tadpoles...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this time yesterday I was wrapped up shivering wearing a wooly jumper and leather jacket, this evening im sweating wearing just the t-shirt! amazing difference, currently 16C outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

No need for heating this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Jpmarn wrote: »
    No need for heating this evening.

I rose at 5.30am this morning in the midlands. Stepped outside for a smoke and could at last feel that warm air on my body. Very noticeable indeed. In fact inside the house felt cooler than outside.:D

Heavy rain on the west coast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Impressive downpour here in Donegal at the moment, heaviest rain in a while. I think the poster above summed it up well 'monsoon like.'

• Advertisement

Valentia island 5degrees being battered by a hail shower. Extremely windy.

Advertisement