Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Today was planned to be a wet day days ago?

Honestly haven't seen a forecast since Tuesday but they were saying summer weather is a coming.

Ah well let's hope it improves in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Honestly haven't seen a forecast since Tuesday but they were saying summer weather is a coming.

Ah well let's hope it improves in the afternoon.

Yeah tomorrow it was coming but it's hardly Summer weather considering it won't be blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

From now on every Irish born citizen should be issued with a Birth Certificate and a Degree in Meteorology & Climatology. Why waste years studying?

As there is no other weather to forecast in this place other than, Wet, Wind, Cold.

It's depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Today was ALWAYS going to be wet
    That's what was predicted here on the weather forum
    I rely on here rather than the tabloids for my weather forecast
    Warm from tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Heat wave me arse. Had the shorts all out and ready.

Then i woke up.

Back in the wardrobe for another year with them.

I'm sorry the heatwave that was forecast from tomorrow didn't arrive today.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

Some scattered showers, heavy in places, with out breaks of sunshine.

If I said this everyday for a year, I would be right at least 250 days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I'm sorry the heatwave that was forecast from tomorrow didn't arrive today.

Don't be a smart arse now :D it's just a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

km79 wrote: »
    Today was ALWAYS going to be wet
    That's what was predicted here on the weather forum
    I rely on here rather than the tabloids for my weather forecast
    Warm from tomorrow

Meanwhile Im working on my tan here in west Kerry .. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

19-20c topping maybe 22c a heatwave conditions in the next number of days then I'm calling today's rain a Monsoon. I believe Evelyn has said 25c or 26c+ sustained temp before its called a heatwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

In fairness today was forecast to be wet and it is. Weather set to pick up from tomorrow but heatwave it won't be.

• Advertisement

In fairness today was forecast to be wet and it is. Weather set to pick up from tomorrow but heatwave it won't be.

Correct. My definitions for heatwaves in Ireland:

March - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 18c
    April - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 20c
    May - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 22c
    June - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 25c
    July - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 25c
    August - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 24c (due to recent years....)
    September - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 22c
    October - 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 20c

Would you agree or disagree with any of my definitions?

And since, there won't be 4/5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 22c, this will certainly not be a heatwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bloody miserable out there, I just hate it when I know fine warm weather is so near by!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Need to move Ireland 300 miles east! Already 22C here in east England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What's the meteorological definition of a heatwave in Ireland? As opposed to the daily mail definition?

What's the meteorological definition of a heatwave in Ireland? As opposed to the daily mail definition?

Well for "Summer", it has to be 5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 25c - according to Met Éireann.

http://www.met.ie/UserMediaUpl/file/June_14_lowres.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Need to move Ireland 300 miles east! Already 22C here in east England.

Just add a few more miles ... Netherlands is the warmest place in Europe today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Higher temps from tomorrow. I think there was mention of isolated heavy thundery showers breaking out mainly in the East and South of the country.

Am I the only one here hoping for a few flashes & crashes tomorrow afternoon/evening?

tippman1 wrote: »
    Higher temps from tomorrow. I think there was mention of isolated heavy thundery showers breaking out mainly in the East and South of the country.

Am I the only one here hoping for a few flashes & crashes tomorrow afternoon/evening?

Yes because I want blue skies and high temperatures for at least one day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tá sé friggin freezin!

All this "heatwave" crap brings me back to the end of May 2010 when I recorded me highest all-time May temperature on the 23rd with 27.2c. I remember putting up a water slide and we were all in our swimming suits and it was exceptionally warm - it was a great day I will never forget. Along with the warm conditions, no surprise that it was a very sunny day. In fact, it was also my sunniest day in May on record with 16.0 hours of sunshine. If I could relive 2010 for every season, I would.

- Great Winter of 2009/10
    - Terrific Spring of 2010
    - Best Summer since 2006 (only July was bad)
    - Best Autumn I have ever seen
    - My favourite month on record, December

Apart from July which itself was not too bad here at Grange, 2010 was a year of absolutely great, lovely weather. It wasn't all about the snow! It was also about the sunshine, my sunniest year on record. Since this is a Spring thread then I'll talk 'bout the Spring of 2010.

March was a good month; not gonna lie. There was a dry spell from February 27th-17th (not a single drop of rainfall). It was one of my sunniest on record but it was also quite wet (due to the second half) but that was all down to two days, the 29th and 30th. My life changed on the 30th. HOLY CRAP! It was Snowmageddon - probably even more than December recorded. I recorded blizzards and it was just so beautiful, I could cry.

April came and it was an even better month. It was my fifth sunniest on record. There was a long dry spell from the 7th-23rd.

May started off pretty **** but that heat at the end changed it all! May was an awesome month as a whole.

When are we ever going to get a year like 2010 again? Dry, cold and very sunny! There has never been a year in my records with only one duller than normal except 2010.

Even if this Summer was like 2010's, I would be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Twas lovely here in Arklow for a few hours after the rain stopped at 10
    Sun was out even
    Bastarding rain is back though now as its done a circuit and is curving back up from south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Stunning day here in Galway not a cloud in the Sky and 20 degrees, I'll get my coat 😆😆😆😆

Truthful it's a terrible day here lashing rain and temp of 12 degrees, where did the summer weather we were promised during the week go to, even the forecast from ME for next week is no where as good as what was originally promised

Aerohead wrote: »
    Stunning day here in Galway not a cloud in the Sky and 20 degrees, I'll get my coat 😆😆😆😆

Truthful it's a terrible day here lashing rain and temp of 12 degrees, where did the summer weather we were promised during the week go to, even the forecast from ME for next week is no where as good as what was originally promised

Blue skies was never promised.... this is Ireland. Go to Spain (not right now LOL because it's pouring there now) if you want high temperatures with blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

cloudy and wet in Castlebar as was rightly forecast by met eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Well for "Summer", it has to be 5 consecutive days with temperatures at or above 25c - according to Met Éireann.

http://www.met.ie/UserMediaUpl/file/June_14_lowres.pdf

That doesn't really tell the full story though. A heatwave is defined as much by minima as it is by maxima, though I am not totally sure what the criteria for minima is for Ireland regarding mins; I think in the UK though it something like 15c to 18c over a defined period of time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aerohead wrote: »

This bad weather today was forecasted days out, and the forecast for the week has not worsened, if anything its gotten a little warmer!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That doesn't really tell the full story though. A heatwave is defined as much by minima as it is by maxima, though I am not totally sure what the criteria for minima is for Ireland regarding mins; I think in the UK though it something like 15c to 18c over a defined period of time.

In the UK for a heatwave, it has to be:

5 consecutive days with maximums of 28-32c and minimums of 18-22c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day today, cold wet and damp, while most of England and Wales is basking in 24-25C and blue skies! Todays crap weather was forcasted for the past few days.

Temps could push past 21C in parts of the midlands and west over the next few days, tho the east coast is likely to stay around 16/17C over the next week.

For Ireland that is a good deal considering we are out in the sea and summer not even started yet.

Even though it is only 9.8c here, it feels much warmer than yesterday afternoon when temps hovered around 14c, because today the dewpoint is 8c, while this time yesterday it was closer to 0c.

New Moon

• Advertisement

In the UK for a heatwave, it has to be:

5 consecutive days with maximums of 28-32c and minimums of 18-22c.

I imagine my bad estimation on UK mins would apply more to this country so; but regardless, minima is a crucial part of defining what a heatwave consists of.

New Moon

Advertisement