Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Ballyhaise Co.Cavan reporting "SMOKE HAZE" on the 1100 Met eireann reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

The easterly airflow is keeping the skies nice and clear in the greater Dublin area, but today is much warmer. I'm 20km from the east coast and the temperature is 19/20*C. On Friday it didn't go above 14*C despite plenty of strong sunshine.

Hopefully the Irish Ssea will warm up because 12*C is pretty nippy heading into June.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Clouds from earlier have retreated east leaving a completely blue sky, with proper sunshine, not a contail or sirrus cloud to be seen!

21.2c here in West Clare now!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

BEAUTIFUL weekend in East galway
    all the showers missed us :D

Beautiful day, sunshine for 2 hours 10am-12pm, then sunshine onwards from 2pm until sunset. I was out upon the sun rising, and despite an application of a small amount of suncream I got roasted. I have never gotten this sunburned in May before!

As with yesterday, all the showers avoided us, had to water the plants this evening and water a bit of the thirsty looking grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Despite the rain at times during the month and this being a poor Spring overall (quite average though), this May has been the best month weather wise since at least April of last year.

My May sunshine has now reached 211 hours of sunshine which comes to 117% of the LTA and is the first real sunny May (over 200 hours of sunshine) since 2011.

If I were to place all the Mays in my records at Grange from best to worst, May 2016 would come up seventh place.

1. May 1989
    2. May 2010
    3. May 2000
    4. May 2008
    5. May 2007
    6. May 2001
    7. May 2016

Ireland's prevailing wind is a southwesterly direction but when was the last time we seen such a direction in winds?

Did I just see this on Met.ie? Wednesday a very sunny day? I was expecting some rain in the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ms. jou's day off is Wednesday, so more than sure it will rain. deszcz.gif

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ms. jou's day off is Wednesday, so it's more than sure it will rain. deszcz.gif

It will 100% not rain in around your area anyway.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

I would not bet. :P

joujoujou wrote: »
    I would not bet. :P

I'll bet me whole life on it :cool:.

Unregistered Users

We'll see. 2 days left. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

19.2C in Castlebar but feeling a lot warmer, first day since last Wednesday we have had nearly all blue skies.

Beautiful afternoon in downtown castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Beautiful afternoon in downtown castlebar

Castlebar is looking tropical.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What a stunning day here in Kerry. Awoke to fog which you could feel burining off as the strength of sun rose quickly. Got up to 20.8C( was over 20C from 12.00 to just before 18.00 ) and cooling down now as the heat raidiates into space under such a clear sky with orange hues still on the horizon out to sea.

Tropical Carrahane strand which is behind Banna Strand County Kerry today.

2lsACzB.jpg?1

Banna Strand

FzTB4u9.jpg

Once again, another stunning morning at Grange with blue skies! Am I even in Ireland anymore?

Blue skies and yet another scorching day! Met Eireann have revised their forecast and allowed for temps of up to 25c for the rest of the week!

Also haven't recorded rainfall in 6 days now, and I doubt today will be today.

Think we can call it an Irish heatwave now. Unofficially at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

A glorious glorious day I never tire of it. Bring it on.

• Advertisement

How does this "heatwave" :D compare with the March 2012 heatwave do you think or even May 2012 "heatwave"?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Blue skies and yet another scorching day! Met Eireann have revised their forecast and allowed for temps of up to 25c for the rest of the week!

Also haven't recorded rainfall in 6 days now, and I doubt today will be today.

Think we can call it an Irish heatwave now. Unofficially at least.

I haven't recorded any rainfall in 9 days now :D

Shocking fact: May 2016 has been my second sunniest May on record (after May 2000)!

Very unexpected!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we deserve a bit of luck after a brutality wet winter.

Gonzo wrote: »
    we deserve a bit of luck after a brutality wet winter.

Well in 2014 we were paid a lot after the Winter of 2013/14 with the brilliant Summer June-July and one of the best months ever, September 2014. So I don't see why we won't get luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Was out there around Grand Canal Dock at lunchtime, sheltered from the sunshine it's actually nearly at "too warm for me" levels - although when I get home and stick some shorts on that won't be the case.

Would May 2016 be in your top 10 list for one of the best months in the 2010s so far weather wise? (though we haven't had much absolutely great months)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

24c+ Limerick city. Le cooca ratcha le cooca ratcha :)

1600 met reports, a chilly 13 degrees in Malin Head compared to a warm 22 degrees in Moorepark Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Why are you lot surprised. Plenty of us forecast this weather we're having now not 5 days, not 10 days but months and months ago.

ITS LEAVING CERT TIME!!!

:D

Advertisement