Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest eye test?

Options
  • 14-02-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Just looking to see if there's any problems with my eyes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.specsavers.ie/stores/galway
    Half-price eye test - just €15
    Offer ends 31st March 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

biko wrote: »

I will chance buying biscuits or a bunch of oranges half price, while the offer lasts, but when it comes to my eyes such offers will stop to make me think about a number of things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

boardbro wrote: »
    Just looking to see if there's any problems with my eyes

If you have been paying full PRSI you can get a test covered for free in all opticians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Daisies wrote: »
    If you have been paying full PRSI you can get a test covered for free in all opticians.

You have to apply in advance. Go into specsavers, get a form and send it off. If you use a computer as part of your work, your work should provide a free eye test for you btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

You have to apply in advance. Go into specsavers, get a form and send it off. If you use a computer as part of your work, your work should provide a free eye test for you btw

no you dont

I got my tests done last week and filled out the form the same day in SS

no applying in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    no you dont

I got my tests done last week and filled out the form the same day in SS

no applying in advance

Oh ok. I got mine done recently in Specsavers in Eyre Square SC and had to pay upfront as I didn't have the form done in advance. They wouldn't let me fill it in there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Oh ok. I got mine done recently in Specsavers in Eyre Square SC and had to pay upfront as I didn't have the form done in advance. They wouldn't let me fill it in there and then.

I booked, Gave my PPS number, Did my eye and hearing test and filled the form out and left. maybe different stores

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope, they just have to offer you a screening by an occupational health nurse, which will pick up decreased sight due to computer use. Not a proper test that checks for a range of eye-health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Nope, they just have to offer you a screening by an occupational health nurse, which will pick up decreased sight due to computer use. Not a proper test that checks for a range of eye-health issues.

This may explain why it is half price 'while the offer lasts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »
    This may explain why it is half price 'while the offer lasts'.

You've misunderstood.

What I was talking about was what employers have to offer.

Specsavers half price offers do include all the checks. I think they can do so called half price because full price is high, and because they have economies of scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You've misunderstood.

He should have gone to Specsavers.

Does everyone just want to argue over specsavers or can you chip in with actual recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

I can highly recommend Barna Opticians http://www.barnaopticians.ie/

I used to go to Specsavers but it was too much like a production line, so prefer the personal service and feel the eye test is more comprehensive that specsavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I went to Collette Kelly opticians.
    Thought they were very good.

Do you remember how much they cost? OP is specific that he wants it as cheap as possible.

You often see eye tests advertised for free too. Not in Galway but there was an opticians in Cork with someone outside the door on Saturday announcing free eye tests in the shop for anyone who wanted one.
    bobbyss wrote: »
    I will chance buying biscuits or a bunch of oranges half price, while the offer lasts, but when it comes to my eyes such offers will stop to make me think about a number of things.

If you would rather pay the full price for the same test fire away.

Many opticians will waive the test cost if you buy the glasses there too.
    Ring around and enquire OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

Is this for an eye exam or a sight test? To clear things up I need it for an eye exam

I had a test done in specsavers last year and they did a sight test but also the air puff test for intra-eye pressure (or something).
    For 15 yoyos it's worth to start with them. They should be able to send you to someone else if you need more investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Specsavers picked up on Glaucoma in my eyes so I would have no problem recommending them.

For €15 you cannot go wrong and you wont find cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

boardbro wrote: »
    Is this for an eye exam or a sight test? To clear things up I need it for an eye exam

Regardless of where they work or how much you pay, any optometrist is legally obliged to carry out certain tests. Every test will include a check of your sight, a prescription check and an ocular health check. Any additional tests will be done as needed depending on the results, your symptoms etc

Advertisement