Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV system Cost

Options
  • 14-02-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I am trying to get an estimate for the instllation of a cctv system in my house. I have just had quote for €1,250 for a 4 camera 1080p IP system which includes a 4 channel NVR and
    all the cables and fittings software etc.

As I understand it there are 3 standards Analog, HD and IP and IP is the latest and best and therefore the dearest.

Does this quote seem reasonable and what questions should I be asking about the spec
    for the system I am being quoted.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That seems reasonable for 4 camera IP system.
    What spec are the cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Depends on the DVR and cameras.
    But most of the home kits are around €400.
    Example:
    http://www.ie.screwfix.com/swann-swdvk-841004a-8-channel-960h-cctv-digital-video-recorder-w-4-cameras.html

I did my house with a 4 cam + DVR kit I got for €350.
    Took about an hour per camera and an hour to setup the software on the PC and phones.

It was the first time I'd ever did a CCTV system myself, so it should take a professional 3-4 hours total I'd say.

So assuming he's making €100 profit on the hardware he's charging €750 for 3-4 hours labour.

Seems a bit high to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Morpork wrote: »
    Example:
    http://www.ie.screwfix.com/swann-swdvk-841004a-8-channel-960h-cctv-digital-video-recorder-w-4-cameras.html

Took about an hour per camera and an hour to setup the software on the PC and phones.

It was the first time I'd ever did a CCTV system myself, so it should take a professional 3-4 hours total I'd say.

So assuming he's making €100 profit on the hardware he's charging €750 for 3-4 hours labour.

Seems a bit high to me.

In all fairness a company is always going to be more expensive than a self install, after all it has running costs, insurance, licences and wages to pay.
    Different systems used will also come into the cost.
    The system you have would also be a lot cheaper than an IP system with a NVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Example:

Seems a bit high to me.

Lol.

You think he's making €750 from a €1250 install?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ReekHavoc

KoolKid wrote: »

4 Channel – Full D1 25FPS
    Channel Video Inputs & 1 Audio Input
    All Channel Playback
    Timeline Playback Feature
    H.264 Compression
    Remote access through mobile phones, PC, Laptop, Mac
    1080P HDMI, VGA/BNC video outputs
    Dual Stream for easier Broadband Access
    Supports 1 SATA HDD up to 4TB, USB
    Built in webs server, multi-dvr client
    Live, recording, playback & back up
    Easy backup, USB devices, network download
    Smart video detection: motion detection camera blank, video loss, Pentaplex, ZMS
    Static or Dynamic IP Address Compatible, Dynamic IP through DNS Server
    Mouse, Front Panel, Remote Control
    2 Year RTB Warranty

This is the spec per the Web page.

Problem is you can pay such a wide range of prices for this stuff.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »

Thanks

Hopefully you can get an idea from this:

Sleek and Modern Design
    All Channel Playback
    H.264 Compression
    Smart video detection: motion detection camera blank, video loss, Pentaplex, ZMS
    2 Year RTB Warranty

altor wrote: »
    In all fairness a company is always going to be more expensive than a self install, after all it has running costs, insurance, licences and wages to pay.
    Different systems used will also come into the cost.
    The system you have would also be a lot cheaper than an IP system with a NVR.

Of course it is. I wasn't comparing the price of labour with doing it yourself. I also said assuming he's making €100 profit on the hardware. Which would be a fair amount. I was simply stating that the charge for labour seems high.

And an NVR is not a lot cheaper than what I have. Mine is network enabled for monitoring, just the cameras are over coaxial.

http://goo.gl/zoaBwo

There's a 1080p IP / NVR set for £219. £266 with the 1TB drive.
    Lol.

You think he's making €750 from a €1250 install?

Yes, if the hardware cost €500. Which I pointed out is very easily doable.
    The kit comes with everything you need. Where else is the technician losing money?
    ReekHavoc wrote: »
    All Channel Playback
    H.264 Compression
    2 Year RTB Warranty

This is the spec per the Web page.

Problem is you can pay such a wide range of prices for this stuff.

You're right, you can pay such a wide range. Most of what you listed is fairly standard though. Would need the actual model of the recorder and cameras to gauge price.

Thanks folks

Firstly I am happy to pay the guy €400 for a days work. He has a business to run, insurance VAT to pay, downtime, staff, etc., etc.,

Also I don't want to be climbing ladders with drills and what not.

Reading my list though it says little about the cameras which is really all that matters
    right ?

Frankly the cost is not a problem for me at €1,250 but I would hate to find out that I paid this for some kit I could have got for €300 or so in Maplins. If I'm payimg for quality I want to make sure I get it.

I will get a detailed spec on these and post it when received.

Thanks for the really helpful input

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes there is no information about the cameras in that spec. Also says it supports up to 4tb hdd. But what's the size of the hdd in it for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

You can buy them cheap from China for 250 including customs.

Do you actually want IP cameras? If not why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

You can buy them cheap from China for 250 including customs.

Do you actually want IP cameras? If not why bother?

Good question

In fact I don't really care about the facility to check footage from remote locations
    The quote for a digital system without the internet capability was €1,000

Virtually all systems now would have a network card. Are you sure there was no internet capability?

Yes, if the hardware cost €500. Which I pointed out is very easily doable.
    The kit comes with everything you need. Where else is the technician losing money?

Comes with a van, diesel, public liability insurance, tools, PSA licence, taxes, accountant fees (need I go on) etc does it?

Have you thought that it also includes VAT? (€1100 ex VAT).

Not to mention Staff, Office, Utility Bills , Certification Body, Snickers, Boots , fixings ,cable, ladders etc etc etc.
    And of course covering the warranty on all the equipment

You could be listing all day but some lads will never get it

Wow, you really thought I was going to sit down and work out all the overheads for the installer!? Then come out with a figure that might be the pure profit? That's hilarious. Why would I do that

I said that's what he's charging for labour.
    "he's charging €750 for 3-4 hours labour."
    "That seems high. "

Of course the €750 - actually €850 including the €100 hardware profit I assumed- is not pure profits. Of course there are overheads.
    I've been self employed before in a similar field, so I know exactly what the costs are.
    In my current job, we charge €100 per hour and we "come with a van, diesel, public liability insurance, tools, taxes, accountant fees (need I go on) etc". And we do just fine.
    However, if you really think charging €215 an hour for labour, for installing a CCTV system is fair, then you must like to be ripped off.

So I'll answer your question once again, nice and simple so you can understand:

Do I think think he's making €750 from a €1250 install?
    Yes, if the hardware cost him €500. €1250 minus €500 equals €750. He makes that money for that job.

Do I think that goes straight into his pocket?
    No, don't be ridiculous.

In any case OP, any word on the models of the equipment so we don't just have to make a guess at the price of it?

ReekHavoc wrote: »
    Good question

In fact I don't really care about the facility to check footage from remote locations
    The quote for a digital system without the internet capability was €1,000

That is a strange one as most would have this feature build in as standard and he is going to discount you, maybe he is going to use a different system if you dont want to have it on your phone.
    If your saving that much having it not connected make sure you get the engineer code as if you decide to connect it at a later date you would need engineer access to the system, again that is depending on what he wants to install.
    Id also be interested to find out what equipment he is installing, the spec he gave you is more of a description of a system rather than the make and model.
    Camera wise you would need to see what he is installing plus what size HDD is supplying also.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

140iu0k.jpg

Is this any good?
    It's in the attic.
    It also came with a monitor.

2550x7n.jpg
    z71n5.jpg

PeteK* wrote: »
    140iu0k.jpg

Is this any good?
    It's in the attic.
    It also came with a monitor.

2550x7n.jpg
    z71n5.jpg

Although 720P is good compared to the older stuff, these days I'd be at least looking for 1080P.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Although 720P is good compared to the older stuff, these days I'd be at least looking for 1080P.
    I actually thought it was 1080P until I looked at it earlier.
    It's 2 years old now, when would it need replacing and does it require servicing?

edit: I mean would it last more than 10 years

• Advertisement

PeteK* wrote: »
    I actually thought it was 1080P until I looked at it earlier.
    It's 2 years old now, when would it need replacing and does it require servicing?

If your happy with the quality of the pictures then i would not be upgrading.

Advertisement