Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cats and dogs and questions

• 14-02-2016 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am 30 years old and a COMPLETE newbie to all things animal-related, so please go easy on me!

Basically - a bit of relevant background information - I do have quite a few mental health issues, as a result of which I'm off work for the foreseeable future. I'm at a bit of a loose end stuck in a house on my own most of the time, and very lonely, but can't really commit to most sorts of voluntary work, at least not on a regular basis.

I've never had a pet, of any sort. For years I've been toying with the idea of getting a cat, and even moreso recently. I suggested getting one to a couple of friends/family/therapists, and while I expected to be shot down, they actually thought it would be a fantastic idea and would help me with my routine etc, plus the idea of having some company around. I realise that it would be a terrible idea to get a cat just to try to help me - it sounds so selfish - but it's something I've wanted for years, and it would certainly be a rescue cat. I do have supports in place that could help me out if necessary, e.g. if I were hospitalised etc I wouldn't have a problem finding someone to mind him/her for me. I am very certain the cat would be in no way neglected, in case anyone might think that would be an issue. I just don't know the first place to start with looking for one, or what to do to go about getting one!

The other thing I was thinking of was, while I can't commit to most voluntary work, I've sometimes heard people mention walking shelter dogs on a regular basis? I'm not really sure I'm a dog person, but then I've never had one, so who knows. I think it would be good for me from the point of view of getting out for walks, and you know, just knowing I'm doing something good that might help out the people in the shelter.

So basically my two issues are:

A - adopting a cat, how do I go about it, what do I need to know, is it an absolutely crazy idea?

B - is there such thing as voluntary dog walking, does anywhere know of anywhere near to D15 (I drive, so can travel if necessary), are they flexible about time availability etc? And does it matter that I'm inexperienced with dogs ... I assume they'd let me know what I had to do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

On point A; I'd recommend adopting two cats (ideally already bonded) as this would keep each other company as well. As a new cat person you're best bet is to reach out to the local rescues and be up front about what you're looking for. For example do you want crazy furballs of attention who shred everything (also known as kittens) or are you looking for something more laid back such as an adult cat? Do you want a cat who'll spend their time in your lap demanding cuddles or do you want a cat who'll accept cuddles but not 24/7? Will the cats be allowed outdoors (with all the risk vs. reward this entails)? With these type of questions the rescues can help narrow down suitable matches for you to meet (which usually works better than looking at cute pictures and then finding out it's not a suitable match).

In terms of equipment you're looking at cats+1 toilets (i.e. 2 cats should ideally have 3 toilets) + litter, food (zooplus.ie is strongly recommended for this and grain free feeding so avoid Hills, Royal Canin etc.), a big carry cage (bigger is better and preferably top loaded, makes it soooo much easier), a scratch pole or three (or a fullblown kitty tower) and of course toys (ping pong balls, da bird etc. but trust me you'll go crazy on stuff like this over time :P ). Cats are also quick learners in terms of being toilet trained directly (kittens excluded due to a toilet in another room might as well be on the other side of the moon) and once they are at your place depending on personality will either hide and then slowly come out or take over the place directly. Also ideally give them ways to look out through windows (cat towers can help give access etc.) and keep in mind cats are creatures of habit; this means feed them at the same spot at the same time twice a day and don't change that routine if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, I think getting a cat is a fabulous idea. There is nothing like a pet for a bit of love and company - research shows that pet owners have positive health and mental health benefits.

Im not sure where D15 is - we have a shelter near Naas, and are always looking for people to walk the dogs in our care. Walkers can arrive at times that suit themselves - and walk for as long/short as they choose. Im sure there are plenty of shelters out there that would be very glad of another walker.

Ive never had a cat until last year when I found a kitten in trouble. Now Im a total fan - she is such good company, in/out all day long, will sit for strokes and cuddles and loves a bit of fun and attention. Since you are new to cats/pets I would suggest that you talk to the shelters/rescues close to you so that they will help find a cat that suits a 'novice'. I would recommend an older cat - s/he will help get your sorted! Just remember that any new pet will take lots of time to settle in with a new human and a strange home, so start slowly, dont worry that s/he is not getting used to you/settling, and it will all suddenly fall into place.

You might also consider FOSTERING a cat to see how you get on. Rescues can advise you - there are always so many cats in shelters that need to get into foster homes for permanent adoption. Then if the fostering is working out you can adopt - win/win!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

<snip> is out beside Ikea, not far from you.
    You could volunteer out there and see what best suits you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

aonb wrote: »
    You might also consider FOSTERING a cat to see how you get on. Rescues can advise you - there are always so many cats in shelters that need to get into foster homes for permanent adoption. Then if the fostering is working out you can adopt - win/win!

Thank you! Fostering seems like the absolutely ideal solution. I've spoken to a cats-only vet surgery beside me, and they VERY highly recommended a charity (I'm not sure I can mention names here?) which are always looking for fosterers. I've gotten in touch with them, and am just waiting to hear back.

The plan is that I'll ask them for an "easy" cat/kitten, by which I mean is that I don't think it would be a good idea for me to take on one with loads of health/behavioural issues when I really do have zero experience. And if all went well, hopefully I could end up adopting it.

As for the suggestion above of taking on two of them - I'll definitely consider that too, and discuss it with them.

Thanks for all the help! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As for the suggestion above of taking on two of them - I'll definitely consider that too, and discuss it with them)
    Only be careful to make sure they are bonded; most charities should know the difference but some will think any two cats will get on "and work it out" which may or may not happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement