Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing/hiking in the Limerick region.

• 14-02-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My family and I spent the day at Lough Gur, making the most of the dry and occasionally sunny weather, and had a good time, expecially climbing up that hill across the lake from the heritage centre.

My kids loved the hike/climb and loved the idea of doing more of it.

So I am looking for suggestions about other places to take them.

The kids are 9 and 5, so we may avoid climbs that are too dangerous or strenuous, but I'd love to hear about all suggestions posters can think of.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

There's a very nice walk in Cratloe woods. Start in the car park half-way up Gallows hill road from Cratloe village. There's a super little kids playground and zip-line there too. Walk the road behind the park and follow it as it turns a hairpin left and then a sharp right uphill. Its not too steep - but can be muddy.At the top there is a magnificent view down the estuary and over to the Galtees. That hill in Lough Gur is steep in places !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

We have done keeper hill a few times, two families together aged from 4 and up.

Brought picnics with us and took our time, about four hours, it's just beyond Newport, and there are longer and shorter tracks to do.

Aldo knocknafeirne in granagh is a nice one, steep but short. There are old rambling houses on the way up, we had a great time picking blackberries and telling stories about leprechauns.

I am not great for directions, Google is your friend on that score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Would recommend going up to Fr Macs Cross & the Millennium Cross, out near Ballina/Killaloe.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10213500@N08/sets/72157626579272053/with/5712556915/

http://www.discoverloughderg.ie/millennium-cross-walk/

Would recommend going up to Fr Macs Cross & the Millennium Cross, out near Ballina/Killaloe.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10213500@N08/sets/72157626579272053/with/5712556915/

http://www.discoverloughderg.ie/millennium-cross-walk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You've also got Moylussa out just past Killaloe and Tountinna across the bridge on the Ballina side

Should also check out Mullaghmore out in the Burren if you're out that way trekking in the summer. You've got a number of different trails out that way plus you ain't that far away from Father Teds house either.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

O'Briensbridge loop walks

Curraghchase

Ardpatrick

Edit, just noticed the post above mine has the OBB walks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I frequently walk up keeper hill. Last time I started in the pitch black to get the sunrise. When the snow is up there its great.

Coillte website have a section for looped walks and the like.

Galtymore would be the next places to go but gets steep but considered an easy mountain where are keeper hill is very much a hill and a track right to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Doonass to Castleconnell

Clare Glens Loop walk

Neither strenuous for kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks all for the suggestions. We'll be hoping to go to one of them on the next dry weekend...could be months away!

• Advertisement
Advertisement