Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not taking card payments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Wait, what? There's shops out there selling big purchase items and not accepting card payments?! Do they expect people to carry €1000+ cash on them? That's crazy.

it would seem so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

many people, possibly the vast majority, get hit with a transaction charge (circa 15 to 20c) every time they use their debit card.

This to me is a disincentive to use those cards.
    I personally try to pay with Credit Card and then just pay off the credit card once per month.

BOI for example charge 10c every time you use your debit card to pay for anything. This can quickly add up over the course of the year. Even only using it twice per day adds up to €73 per year. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. AIB charge 20c per transaction.

I also always like to have cash on me and will generally paay by cash first because the credit card balance can add up without you realising.

I hope we don't become a cashless society because the banks would really control us then! :)

Free debit card transactions here. ;) I'm with TSB in the UK. When I was with Halifax they were also free.

Banks already control us if we're keeping most of our money in banks anyway. Being cashless makes my life easier, so cashless FTW. :p (Nah, the choice should always be there)

That's mad. Is it an old business? I ask because there was one in a town near me which didn't move with the times. They still shut religiously at lunchtime even though they had enough staff to cover for it. They never opened late and didn't open on Sundays. I was once in there heading towards lunchtime and they basically ran myself and several other prospective customers out of the shop so they could shut :confused:

On the flip side, I once fell into conversation with a woman who runs a discount bookshop. She said she'll accept cards for all transactions, no matter how small. It'd be detrimental to the business if she didn't, she reckoned.

yes it is. Crazy say it cost them too much. but ignore the fact its actually costing them more business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Free debit card transactions here. ;) I'm with TSB in the UK. When I was with Halifax they were also free.

Banks already control us if we're keeping most of our money in banks anyway. Being cashless makes my life easier, so cashless FTW. :p (Nah, the choice should always be there)

https://number26.eu/ie/

Soon all Irish banks can kiss my ass. I have been working on transferring my mortgage to Germany, where the current variable rate is about 2%, not the more than twice theft and <SNIP> robbery going on here. It has been proven difficult, because German banks don't like that your assets and income is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

https://number26.eu/ie/

Soon all Irish banks can kiss my ass. I have been working on transferring my mortgage to Germany, where the current variable rate is about 2%, not the more than twice theft and <SNIP> robbery going on here. It has been proven difficult, because German banks don't like that your assets and income is in Ireland.

The effective impossibility of quickly recovering the house in case of default here is likely to ensure that if you do get an offer from Germany it'll be far higher than 4%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It has been proven difficult, because German banks don't like that your assets and income is in Ireland.

More to do with the known fact that German banks can't get over how hard repossession is in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

cms88 wrote: »
    yes it is. Crazy say it cost them too much. but ignore the fact its actually costing them more business

I forgot to mention in my original post that the business is gone now. I think there were other factors at play but they certainly didn't help themselves by not being open when it suited their customers. To my mind it's like that furniture business that won't accept card payments.

Have you ever heard why? Is it too much hassle for the owners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I forgot to mention in my original post that the business is gone now. I think there were other factors at play but they certainly didn't help themselves by not being open when it suited their customers. To my mind it's like that furniture business that won't accept card payments.

I would have thought tax plays a part ;)

Come to think of it my accountant doesn't take cards either!

Quote from the owner ''sure that'll only cost us money''

More to do with the known fact that German banks can't get over how hard repossession is in Ireland.

German banks are well used to finance property abroad, but more from a situation where you live and work in Germany and are buying a second home abroad.
    As soon as your primary residence is outside Germany, they don't want to know, unless you have assets/income there to cover your liability.

• Advertisement

cms88 wrote: »
    Quote from the owner ''sure that'll only cost us money''

That's a classic, along with "Ah, nobody would be wantin' that now"

German banks are well used to finance property abroad, but more from a situation where you live and work in Germany and are buying a second home abroad.
    As soon as your primary residence is outside Germany, they don't want to know, unless you have assets/income there to cover your liability.

And I say again. German banks have commented only in the past year that they have no interest in Irish mortgages, as repossessions are almost impossible to secure compared to the rest of mainland Europe.

Anyway. Back on topic.

I think the expectation of a retailer accepting cards is widespread. Would I boycott those without card facilities? It depends on the product costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

BOI for example charge 10c every time you use your debit card to pay for anything. This can quickly add up over the course of the year. Even only using it twice per day adds up to €73 per year. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. AIB charge 20c per transaction.

BOI don't charge if you keep €3000 in the account, as the interest on this after DIRT would only be €20. That said with cashback in supermarkets etc you should get by on less than 2 transactions per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

BOI don't charge if you keep €3000 in the account, as the interest on this after DIRT would only be €20. That said with cashback in supermarkets etc you should get by on less than 2 transactions per day.

That's true, but not everyone has €3000 in their account for 90 days straight.
    I'd go as far as saying the vast majority of people dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

many people, possibly the vast majority, get hit with a transaction charge (circa 15 to 20c) every time they use their debit card.

This to me is a disincentive to use those cards.

Since I started banking around 1990, I have never paid bank charges. The only additional costs I occasionally get are foreign exchange fees, but for any sort of banking within Ireland, I have never paid any.

I don't understand people using their credit cards over cash when they can use their debit cards instead without being charged by their bank.

People complain about getting charged, but they need to go and do a bit of research with regards changing banks altogether, or look into other types of accounts that their own offer.

Likewise. I haven't paid Bank Charges in decades. Shop around for the best deal. I can use my debit card or withdraw cash at any time for no fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I received €80 in a private sale about a month ago, still have €70 in my wallet. Visa (debit) contactless is the absolute dogs proverbials. I keep a "float" in my BOI current account topped off by my demand account and so never pay fees other than conversion charges for amazon UK.

Cash costs us money, time we move on.

An Irish house is worthless security to a German bank. You'll have to borrow against other assets

L1011 wrote: »
    An Irish house is worthless security to a German bank. You'll have to borrow against other assets

Well, yes, that's what I said. :pac:
    And even with such assets, so far no dice. One bank said they are willing to loan me money towards a German property, but only to go towards that German property, i.e. they wanted to see builder's invoices and pay them direct. So, not even getting as far as Irish properties being difficult to repossess, though I'm sure that's a part of it, but German banks do not want to loan money even to a German with an address, family and seizable assets in Germany, if the money goes abroad, or at least Ireland.
    So my guess is protectionist racket between banks who are not willing to piss in each other's soup.
    I have talked to a dozen banks in Germany and on one or two occasions was nearly as far as having the papers send to me for mortgages to replace my Irish mortgage with a German one around at the 3% mark, when at the very last second, just before it was finalised, some flimsy, sh*te excuse was found not to go ahead with the deal. So in theory nothing wrong with the idea, but as soon as this deal is brought higher up, alarm bells and flashing lights start to go off and someone presses the big, red button marked Stop. I guess it goes against the official "screw the bastard" rule in Ireland. Free and open market only as long as Irish businesses get to gut you like a kipper.

Well, yes, that's what I said. :pac:
    And even with such assets, so far no dice. One bank said they are willing to loan me money towards a German property, but only to go towards that German property, i.e. they wanted to see builder's invoices and pay them direct. So, not even getting as far as Irish properties being difficult to repossess, though I'm sure that's a part of it, but German banks do not want to loan money even to a German with an address, family and seizable assets in Germany, if the money goes abroad, or at least Ireland.
    So my guess is protectionist racket between banks who are not willing to piss in each other's soup.
    I have talked to a dozen banks in Germany and on one or two occasions was nearly as far as having the papers send to me for mortgages to replace my Irish mortgage with a German one around at the 3% mark, when at the very last second, just before it was finalised, some flimsy, sh*te excuse was found not to go ahead with the deal. So in theory nothing wrong with the idea, but as soon as this deal is brought higher up, alarm bells and flashing lights start to go off and someone presses the big, red button marked Stop. I guess it goes against the official "screw the bastard" rule in Ireland. Free and open market only as long as Irish businesses get to gut you like a kipper.

German banks won't risk it in Ireland yet you keep saying Irish businesses are screwing us? Really? At least they'll deal with you.

• Advertisement

No, its because you're looking for a dangerous loan and an non-viable rate - that's it.

There's no protectionism and the savings market shows that

A "mortgage" secured on other properties is not a mortgage; and no German or indeed any bank outside the market will even consider an Irish house as security for one. The "flimsy ****e excuse" is, at best, not wanting to tell your your 'assets' are worthless in a functioning market.

You may as well stop pissing your time away. Once repossession speeds become acceptable here rates will fall due to new entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: Can we get back on topic. All this talk of mortgages and houses and foreign banks is for a different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I didn't accept card payments until last year. The monthly costs would have been much higher than the profit lost from missed sales.

But last year I got sumup. (no monthly costs and 1.8% transaction fee).

A big concern for me was customers who had no cash on them driving past my shop because they knew I didn't take cards. It's impossible to know how much trade I was missing out on.

With cheaper options like sumup there's no excuse for not taking cards, no matter how small your business is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Visa Reporting a big surge in usage due to contactless payments..

https://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/key/MyyRv3UD7qlDCV

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mr.S wrote: »
    Order a hailo or uber just after going through passport control and you'll have a car waiting for you and you can pay by card as normal :D

That is exactly what I've been doing for a while now. Makes me much happier, plus as it's Hailo, the receipt is in my email account for use in expense claims.

Advertisement