Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts about Spurs...for neutrals...

• 14-02-2016 11:45pm

...everyone is going on about Leicester or Arsenal in terms of the title race, or the fall off by Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and ManU in talking about the league.

But what do neutrals think about Spurs, who have slotted into second place and seem to be in good form to win the title given the doubts about Leicester?

It would be a remarkable achievement. Was brought up in an era when Spurs were always the cup side, 2 wins in the early 80s (and THAT goal by Villa), the shock loss to Coventry (and THAT goal by Houchen) and the whole Gazza semi final goal/win in the early 90s. But since then they have bumped along under the radar, vying with the likes of Everton for mid table supremacy. But they were never a title contender, even if Clive Allen was banging in about 40 goals, even if Gazza and Linekar were togging out, even if Klinsmann was sliding on his chest.

Could this be their year? And if it is, would you be happy with that? I think I'd welcome it...even if Everton was always the club in the top flight in England that I have a soft spot for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've never minded Spurs and quite liked them when they were winning cups, and any other season I'd definitely be rooting for them. But I think that this year is probably Leicester's one shot, whereas Spurs have a decent enough team that they could build on and challenge for the next few years. So maybe next year I'll cheer for them, but I'm a Leicester fan for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Good young side, good manager with a clear view on how he wants his team to play. They have goals in the team from Dembele to Kane to Ali. Will take a decent crack at the league this year and their only real problem is their involvement in the Europa League. If i were Pochetino i'd play the kids in Europe and concentrate on the PL. What an opportunity to win it - one that might not happen for many a year. Rumours are that they will have little to spend when they move to new Stadium so they should be going all guns at the PL.

If they can keep their players fit, they have a chance. Experience is lacking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Good young side, good manager with a clear view on how he wants his team to play. They have goals in the team from Dembele to Kane to Ali. Will take a decent crack at the league this year and their only real problem is their involvement in the Europa League. If i were Pochetino i'd play the kids in Europe and concentrate on the PL. What an opportunity to win it - one that might not happen for many a year. Rumours are that they will have little to spend when they move to new Stadium so they should be going all guns at the PL.

If they can keep their players fit, they have a chance. Experience is lacking though.

Arsenal for me, nice answer to mourinho's losers jibe.
    Would also like to see man city win it this year and not under Pep :)
    Would like Leicester to win it too.

spurs, no, don't like them, Kane looks like some gnome in a black & white movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone but City or Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Augeo wrote: »
    Arsenal for me, nice answer to mourinho's losers jibe.
    Would also like to see man city win it this year and not under Pep :)
    Would like Leicester to win it too.

spurs, no, don't like them, Kane looks like some gnome in a black & white movie.

Preference Leicester, man city, arsenal in that order, sure spurs even have their own forum, what would they want a premier league for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whatever happens in the run in, I think Utd would be wise to snaffle up Pochetino, no matter the cost. I hope they don't, but I really think he's the ideal man for the job there.

In terms of preference of the current top 4, i'd like it to stay as it is now. Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal, City. Let Pep start his first season at City early with CL qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My preference is:
    1.Leicester
    2. Spurs
    3. Arsenal
    4. City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm a United fan so hardly neutral but if Leicester don't win the league (I hope they do) then I'd like to see Spurs get it.

Good young manager, good young players and an entertaining team to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Don't think about them a lot but said it months ago that Pochettino and Klopp are the two best managers in the league after Wenger.

Interesting that Tim Sherwood said he thinks they will win the league because of the world class talent they have. Only Lloris and Eriksen are what I'd call world class, but they certainly have a squad of high quality players who are prepared to work for Pochettino, and that could be the difference between them remaining perennial pretenders and potential champions.

I like Tom Carroll too. Could become an important player for Spurs in the coming seasons if he develops under Pochettino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

A victory for Leicester makes for a great underdog story, probably the biggest (in England) since Forest.

A victory for Spurs is a victory for youth, new blood, exciting football and a new name on the trophy.

A victory for Arsenal is a victory for having faith in a manager, a great retort to those who start calling for a manager's head around ten past 3 first game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My preference is Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs then City.

Don't know why but I can't stand Spurs. Maybe it's the constant bigging up of a manager who's actually not achieved anything yet when you think about it like he's some sort of football saviour. Wenger has been doing what Pochettino is for 20 odd years, winning some trophies along the way and is no longer seen by many as a great manager.

If they win it I guess the people talking about him so will be justified but I don't think I've ever seen a team get so many game-changing penalties. It's completely irrational and I don't know why, they just irk me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Liam O wrote: »
    My preference is Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs then City.

Don't know why but I can't stand Spurs. Maybe it's the constant bigging up of a manager who's actually not achieved anything yet when you think about it like he's some sort of football saviour. Wenger has been doing what Pochettino is for 20 odd years, winning some trophies along the way and is no longer seen by many as a great manager.

If they win it I guess the people talking about him so will be justified but I don't think I've ever seen a team get so many game-changing penalties. It's completely irrational and I don't know why, they just irk me.

I'm a Spurs fan but anyone who thinks Wenger is not a great manager is an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

How on earth was that a penalty for them yesterday. Honestly the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Gringo180 wrote: »
    How on earth was that a penalty for them yesterday. Honestly the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

Dreadful decision alright but if you think it was the worst ever then you need to watch more football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'd love to see Spurs win it. Doing it the right way. No trophy manager, no obscene wage bill, no delusions of grandeur. They have a good young manager building up a nice, attacking team to watch.

Leicester would be my second favourites though I really dislike the way Vardy plays the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Spurs win it. Doing it the right way. No trophy manager, no obscene wage bill, no delusions of grandeur. They have a good young manager building up a nice, attacking team to watch.

Leicester would be my second favourites though I really dislike the way Vardy plays the game.

:confused:

Tbh both in the title race shows how poor the league is atm but fair play to both I guess. :P
    Really think United, Chelsea, Liverpool and i'd even add City to that mix have been for various lengths of time absolutely appalling this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If Spurs win it I look forward to see what angle Harry Redknapp takes in order to take the credit for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Deffo do not want Spurs to win if Leicester City are the other non obvious option but would take them over City and Arsenal (just).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Can't stand City, Chelsea or Liverpool

If we (Utd) can't win i'm rooting for Leicester or Spurs

Hoping that Leicester can do it but think Spurs have the better chance, either of them 2 and i'll be delighted

• Advertisement

Lecister hopefully but next would be City for me, really dislike Spurs and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Last time Spurs came 2nd in league was 1963.

For team with such big reputation that's poor. I suppose the Arsenal angle, along with being London club, is reason they ain't liked as much, as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Spurs have a lot to be admired for, as has been mentioned they're doing things the right way, and they're a very good all round team.

If they can keep their small squad fit they stand a very strong chance of winning the title, and fair play to them if they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've hated Spurs since Santa brought me an Amstrad computer and with a black and white monitor. Maybe it's time to give them another chance.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If we (Arsenal) don't win I would very much like Spurs to win if Leicester fall short. Likeable manager, good set of players and a decent brand of football. Breaking the status quo is always a good thing in sport imo. Even if Arsenal do win a part of me will pretty bummed about Leicester not doing it tbh, though I'll get over it pretty quick. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Leicester Spurs Arsenal in order of who I'd prefer to win the league most

Spurs should play the kids in the Europa it's pretty meaningless now CL football is all but confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Have a few mates who are Spurs fans, so order for me is :

Leicester
    Arsenal
    City
    Spurs

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Spurs & Leicester both making CL will not be good for the PL co-efficient. Can see both struggling in the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

gimmick wrote: »
    If Spurs win it I look forward to see what angle Harry Redknapp takes in order to take the credit for it.

Sherwood still gets praise for bringing young lads in, some even the club signed after he left :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Leicester
    Spurs
    City
    Arsenal

In that order for me. I have no problem with City potentially winning it because Pellegrini is a class act and you couldn't begrudge him going out on a high

Arsenal have one of the cringiest fan-bases around, a title win would turn them nuclear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

From a purely neutral perspective (hard to find around here... maybe helps because the team I support isn't in the premiership):

My hopeful order:
    Leicester
    Arsenal
    Spurs

• MD1990 wrote: »
    Spurs & Leicester both making CL will not be good for the PL co-efficient. Can see both struggling in the CL.

Sounds like you think they won't strengthen in the summer? A few more additions to the Spurs squad and if they get drawn a decent group there's no reason to suggest that they won't progress in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Spurs have a lot to be admired for, as has been mentioned they're doing things the right way, and they're a very good all round team.

If they can keep their small squad fit they stand a very strong chance of winning the title, and fair play to them if they do
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    If we (Arsenal) don't win I would very much like Spurs to win if Leicester fall short. Likeable manager, good set of players and a decent brand of football. Breaking the status quo is always a good thing in sport imo. Even if Arsenal do win a part of me will pretty bummed about Leicester not doing it tbh, though I'll get over it pretty quick. :)
    For ****s sake lads. No! Anyone but that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Spurs look like a really well drilled team with everybody knowing their job. They are serious contenders for the title and I'd kinda fancy them to do it.

Still shouting for Leicester though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No not Spurs, I like the players and manager but no I couldn't stand seen Spurs win the league. Leicester or Arsenal are my pick.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sounds like you think they won't strengthen in the summer? A few more additions to the Spurs squad and if they get drawn a decent group there's no reason to suggest that they won't progress in the competition.
    they will strengthen. But with a new stadium to be payed for & quality players costing 40m+ I think they could struggle next season. The players they currently have are good but no one top quality or near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've always had a mild dislike for Spurs. A lot of my friends support them - I don't think those two facts are unrelated. They're also the team I've seen the second most after my own and usually go to at least one game a season with friends. Randomly, this year the game I'm going to is the away game at Newcastle on the last day of the season which obviously could, could, could be the game where they we the title.

I think they're going to do it. To be honest, I think they've underachieved a few times in the last few years and thought that in Redknapp's penultimate season they had a chance at the league. They've a swagger and a togetherness about them at the moment. I look at Arsenal yesterday and just don't see a team who will win seven or eight out of ten. I think City are the best side but with their managerial situation I'm not convinced they'll want it enough. Which leaves Spurs and Leicester.

They're a Harry Kane injury away from a battle for fourth though. It's that kind of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

MD1990 wrote: »

Spurs have plenty of European pedigree and experience. White Hart Lane has a great atmosphere under the floodlights. I think they'd do themselves justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

they will strengthen. But with a new stadium to be payed for & quality players costing 40m+ I think they could struggle next season. The players they currently have are good but no one top quality or near it.

Kane, Eriksen, Lloris, Alderweireld and Vertonghen would get into any team in the league bar 1 or 2 depending on the position City, Arsenal or United are strong in imo. Then you have the likes of Walker, Son, Dier and a few others who are good players with still a lot of time left to make a leap.

I do like some of their players but for some reason can't stand Pochettino. The level of praise he has gotten for modest achievements is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

You cannot be serious about the quality of players. In my opinion, the following players will get into the most top teams;

Lloris
    Toby
    Jan
    Dembele
    Dier
    Eriksen
    Kane

Could you kindly elaborate on your post that why don't you think we don't have any world class player(s).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Spurs are very good. Be interesting to see what happens next year because this doesn't seem like a yoyo Spurs. This isn't like before when they sold Bale etc and dropped off. They're a full on team.

Leicester I think is more of a fluke. Don't get me wrong, they deserve their place based on the performances but it just seems everything clicked at the right time.

Basically I think Spurs are in a great place to repeat this and after 20 years may have finally found their manager.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    You cannot be serious about the quality of players. In my opinion, the following players will get into the most top teams;

Lloris
    Toby
    Jan
    Dembele
    Dier
    Eriksen
    Kane

Could you kindly elaborate on your post that why don't you think we don't have any world class player(s).
    No world class players in the Spurs squad. As none bar maybe Lloris would get into Real,Atletico,Barca,PSG,Dortmund or Bayern's teams. Alderweireld who is a good CB was discarded by Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Have a few mates who are Spurs fans, so order for me is :

Leicester
    Arsenal
    City
    Spurs

:pac:

Same

No world class players in the Spurs squad. As none bar maybe Lloris would get into Real,Atletico,Barca,PSG,Dortmund or Bayern's teams. Alderweireld who is a good CB was discarded by Atletico.

Toby has come on leaps and bounds since and has been great.

Bayern/Real/Barca? Theres probably only 3 premiership players in the league that get into those teams.

Could make a case for many of the others that they would get in Dortmund/PSG/Atletico.

09_09_09 wrote: »

Lloris
    Toby
    Jan
    Dembele
    Dier
    Eriksen
    Kane

Lloris is world class but he's not better than Cech, De Gea or Courtois. Eriksen is at the same level as Silva and Ozil for me. The others are quality players but by no means world class, and Kane is just a sh*t Jamie Vardy...

Bayern/Real/Barca? Theres probably only 3 premiership players in the league that get into those teams.
    Aguero, De Bruyne and Kompany?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I'd love for spurs to win it I don't dislike any of their players or manager Lloris Alderwield Ali Kane their spine basically have been great this season. I remember Gary Neville saying maybe 2 year ago that Spurs were always weak and soft their definitely not that now that have steeliness about that can bring them to the league

Canadel wrote: »
    Aguero, De Bruyne and Kompany?

Aguero anyway. Yet he wouldn't even get into the Barca team.

Can't rate Kompany much lately due to so many injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dislike Leicester due to the various off field incidents involving racism that they've had. Also were pretty happy to sack unknown reserve players but let Vardy off, lovely stuff. Fairytale my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Spurs do things the right way ?

How many managers have they sacked lately before Poccethino and they constantly squander bucket loads of money aswell there no better than the rest of them

• Advertisement
Advertisement