Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1990s 98FM Sunday Night Talk Show

• 15-02-2016 12:43am

Hi
    Myself and my brother spent some time reminiscing earlier about days gone by.
    I've no idea how it came up but we start talking about a chat show that used to be on Sunday nights around the time that Fr Michael Cleary had his show.

We couldn't for the life of us remember who the presenter was. For some reason the name Larry is in my head.

Anyone remember the show and who the presenter was?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I think you are thinking of Larry Hogan. I don't know much about him but remember listening to him. I think he subsequently passed away.

Also Liam Nolan (ex RTE) also presented on 98 but I can't remember if it was on the Sunday night or weeknight show. Vincent Browne hosted the week night show also, before he went to RTE Radio 1 in a similar slot.

Red Fred wrote: »
    I think you are thinking of Larry Hogan. I don't know much about him but remember listening to him. I think he subsequently passed away.

Also Liam Nolan (ex RTE) also presented on 98 but I can't remember if it was on the Sunday night or weeknight show. Vincent Browne hosted the week night show also, before he went to RTE Radio 1 in a similar slot.

Hi Red Fred.
    Thanks for that. I think that you are right. Bless your memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sure it wasn't After Dark with Niall and Anita? (Niall Boylan)
    It was lighthearted chat that got a bit dirty but it was gas fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was definitely Larry Hogan or Father Larry Hogan as he called himself on air. He was a gigging preacher and Christian folk musician (Possibly where the Father tag came in.) and was notably a member of We Four, a trad outfit who were big in the 70's. He also lectured in film in Dun Laoghaire college. Larry's shows always had more angst and drama than Fr. Mick's and Larry would often fill his shows with songs and jams. He died about a decade ago.

Liam Nolan was a fill in presenter and mainly stood in for Mick as well as doing radio and TV work for RTE, back in the days when 98 ruled the airwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

Could someone post some 98 schedules from back then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Pat and Elaine at Breakfast, I think it was Jim O Neill or Liam Quigley mid morning followed by Tom Hardy. Drivetime is a blank but Tim Kelly was on the late evening 7pm or 9 pm slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

bbability wrote: »
    Pat and Elaine at Breakfast, I think it was Jim O Neill or Liam Quigley mid morning followed by Tom Hardy. Drivetime is a blank but Tim Kelly was on the late evening 7pm or 9 pm slot.

wasn't it mark cagney on drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Red Fred

As far as I remember it was Pat and Elaine on breakfast, Tom Hardy 10 - 1, Jim O'Neill 1 - 4, Greg Gaughren 4 - 7 (with Liz "Bumpa to Bumpa" McNally on traffic) Tim Kelly 7 - 10, but he ran the desk for Fr. Mick and Mark Cagney after that (I think).

I remember Cagney moved to Tom Hardy's spot and I think the idea was that he'd throw out a few topics and listeners would send in their comments which he'd read out.

Suzanne Duffy and Audrey Byrne did the weekend breakfast shows. Audrey married Mark Cagney a few years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

wasn't it mark cagney on drive?

Early on was Cagney 10-1, Hardy 1-3PM and Gaughran from 3-7PM. Quigley effectively swapped with Gaughran in 1991, Greg moving to afternoons on Century. Martin King did 11-2AM.

Advertisement