Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket to Ride, for experienced gamers?

• 15-02-2016 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a quick question. I'd consider myself and my group to be experienced gamers and have games such as the Pandemic, Zombicide, Sentinels of the Multiverse series, Letters from Whitechapel, BSG as well as X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault and Netrunner between us, to name but a few in our shared collection.

I've recently been looking into Ticket to Ride (reading reviews, looking at Tabletop etc) and I notice it's recommended as a good game for beginners and as a gateway game.

Can anyone recommend it or have any opinions on whether it's worth picking up for a group of more experienced gamers?

Thanks in advance for any and all input

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Rael wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just a quick question. I'd consider myself and my group to be experienced gamers and have games such as the Pandemic, Zombicide, Sentinels of the Multiverse series, Letters from Whitechapel, BSG as well as X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault and Netrunner between us, to name but a few in our shared collection.

I've recently been looking into Ticket to Ride (reading reviews, looking at Tabletop etc) and I notice it's recommended as a good game for beginners and as a gateway game.

Can anyone recommend it or have any opinions on whether it's worth picking up for a group of more experienced gamers?

I would say yes. A more experienced gaming group will be less focused on just completing their own routes and will start blocking other people.

That's how it progressed with us at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I would say yes as well.Given the different versions ,card decks and maps that can be got to change the game difficulty.
    I only have the basic version but I find that with more experienced players it becomes more strategic where blocking becomes a bigger part of the gameplay ,as mentioned by Das kitty already.
    The different maps can make a game tighter and have a impact on gameplay. The Nordic version is supposed to be tough map but its (2-3 player) only.
    Unlike the USA or Europe maps, Nordic is designed for 2-3 players only and has a heavier focus on blocking your opponent and more aggressive play.
    Marklin is probably the heaviest version of TTR ,if you want to check that out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Rael wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I play Netrunner very regularly at tournaments and I play TTR a fair bit too. I'd certainly recommend it. You can take TTR to a very high level competitively if ye want to - blocking/claiming key routes early, identifying and stealing key colours for your opponents routes, correct ticket selection etc.

I would say you'd want to make sure everyone is playing either competitively OR casually. Don't mix the player types as it can get messy.

Advertisement