Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Vehicle

• 15-02-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hello everyone, so I was travelling from Dublin to Navan yesterday and saw an emergency vehicle driving behind me. I was in the left lane and it overtook me in the right lane, so I got a good look at it. It was VW Passat estate, silver in color with plenty of blue lights on it and a HSE markings. The vehicle was not travelling with lights / sirens on but it was moving along nicely all the same. It also had written on it, C.U.H. Emergency Department. I am guessing this stands for Cork University Hospital, but what is this vehicle used for? Also didn't think a vehicle would be attached to one hospital.

Any info would be nice, thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Hello everyone, so I was travelling from Dublin to Navan yesterday and saw an emergency vehicle driving behind me. I was in the left lane and it overtook me in the right lane, so I got a good look at it. It was VW Passat estate, silver in color with plenty of blue lights on it and a HSE markings. The vehicle was not travelling with lights / sirens on but it was moving along nicely all the same. It also had written on it, C.U.H. Emergency Department. I am guessing this stands for Cork University Hospital, but what is this vehicle used for? Also didn't think a vehicle would be attached to one hospital.

Any info would be nice, thanks all.

Rapid Response Vehicle, would be my guess. There to bring consultant/registrar and nurse from ED to aid treatment at an incident, on request of ambo crew. Depends what's available though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

kub wrote: »

The very same, thanks! The CUH part really confused me, still don't really understand why it would have CUH marked on it, like as a HSE vehicle surely it would be moving between hospitals? Or is it based in CUH hence the writing on it? Thanks again for the picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The very same, thanks! The CUH part really confused me, still don't really understand why it would have CUH marked on it, like as a HSE vehicle surely it would be moving between hospitals? Or is it based in CUH hence the writing on it? Thanks again for the picture

It would be based at CUH, other EDs have response vehicles assigned to them too. I understand their only role is if paramedics request an ED team to attend to help stabilize a casualty prior to transport and that Control wouldn't normally despatch them. I don't know if all other EDs here have them, or just some. It might not always be possible to send a team either, but if it is, it would usually be the ED registrar or relevant consultant and a nurse. I don't know how often it would be used, Ireland works more on the UK/American model of bringing the casualty to the room, rather than the French/German model of bringing the room to the casualty.

Some hospitals in the past had a specific cardiac response vehicle to send a team from the ED if an arrest was called in as part of the immediate response. I don't know if that is still practiced, or if community responder schemes have been left to take on that burden.

I'm open to correction on any/all of the above.

Advertisement