Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XvY - various MAs pitted against each other (video thread)

• 15-02-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it'd be interesting with a video thread that shows various disciplines pitted again each other.
    Particularly when you can see the sports using their trademark moves.

In this video Aikido and TKD is pitted again each other. Both artists are using fairly pure moves.

Here Muy Thai vs Judo, unsurprisingly most of the match is on the mat.

The usual disclaimer - please note that there isn't a "better art", just better trained individuals.
    Let's not get bogged down in any "this art is better than that art" discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I just responded to your PM there where you asked to post this, and I was against it, so maybe some other moderators were ok with it?

I feel these threads offer little and in the past have resulted in art bashing and micky measuring. It's also widely acknowledged amongst experienced martial artists that it's not the art on show but the individual. There's a perfect example of this in the TKD V Akido video, where the TKD guy is fcuking useless. I would have better 10 year olds training with me than this guy, there is nothing pure about his ability to strike, so it does not represent the art at all.

no doubt some of the other martial arts listed in videos will say the same.

I'm going to lock this until other mods give their opinion on why this is thread should run and what positives can come out of it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was 50/50 on this thread and more or less told the OP our experiences with similar threads in the past.

Tbh I've no problem with it staying locked.

Sorry Biko

No issue with it running myself Martin, you remember the nonsense from times past that threads like these started.

Tbh the forum is a quieter place these days. Maybe let it run and see how things shape up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Tkd and kung fu suck ass. Only mma is the realz

J/k

Anyway, here's a less seen Gracie challenge video, quality not great
    https://youtu.be/tbBPUy622bw

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

biko wrote: »
    Thought it'd be interesting with a video thread that shows various disciplines pitted again each other.

Only if one of the arts is Ameri-Do-Te. Everyone knows everything else is BS.

But seriously, to echo the mods, I can't see anything useful coming from this. I'd speculate the Aikido vs TKD video was posted by an Aikido practitioner who knew well that the TKD practitioner was poor. (He repeated the same kicks to head level every time, and even when the Aikido practitioner did not move, he missed). The proper place to observe art-vs.-art is MMA, I think. There you can see practitioners at the same level use techniques from a range of arts, and see grapplers beat strikers, strikers beat kickers, kickers beat grapplers, all vice-versa, and everyone beat the "KI Energy" guys.

• Advertisement

SVJKarate wrote: »
    Only if one of the arts is Ameri-Do-Te. Everyone knows everything else is BS.

But seriously, to echo the mods, I can't see anything useful coming from this. I'd speculate the Aikido vs TKD video was posted by an Aikido practitioner who knew well that the TKD practitioner was poor. (He repeated the same kicks to head level every time, and even when the Aikido practitioner did not move, he missed). The proper place to observe art-vs.-art is MMA, I think. There you can see practitioners at the same level use techniques from a range of arts, and see grapplers beat strikers, strikers beat kickers, kickers beat grapplers, all vice-versa, and everyone beat the "KI Energy" guys.

I'd go so far as to say the 'tkd' wasn't tkd at all. I wouldn't be surprised to find he was a student of the aikido guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A huge number of verses videos are nonsense. Like getting somebody (who doesn't actually train in it) to replicate a style, or using a more or less beginner. The aikido v TKD video above appears to be one of those option - although I'm not sure which it is.

For example, this apparently shows different ways to deal with a takedown.
    If should be plainly obvious that whatever that attack is, it's not a takedown. And even a low level guy would put him on his ass with an proper double leg.

Is that guy in red making a fist with his thumb inside

cletus wrote: »
    Is that guy in red making a fist with his thumb inside

Looks that way. That's the problem with the internet, it has no bullsh1t filter, and that is utter bullsh1t

yomchi wrote: »
    Looks that way. That's the problem with the internet, it has no bullsh1t filter, and that is utter bullsh1t

If it were just a bullshit video on the internet. Then I think it would matter little. But the real issue is that somewhere, he is teaching people those "techniques" and taking money off them for the trouble. They are likely being shown that same awful half assed double leg by the same guy, which is validating his instructing in the eyes of his students.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    If it were just a bullshit video on the internet. Then I think it would matter little. But the real issue is that somewhere, he is teaching people those "techniques" and taking money off them for the trouble. They are likely being shown that same awful half assed double leg by the same guy, which is validating his instructing in the eyes of his students.

Yep he's one of many charlatans doing this. Plenty in Ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

If it were just a bullshit video on the internet. Then I think it would matter little.

I think you're underestimating the amount of people out there who watch youtube videos and then assume they know how to fight, without ever having tested the techniques out beyond doing them in their sitting room.

JustShon wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating the amount of people out there who watch youtube videos and then assume they know how to fight, without ever having tested the techniques out beyond doing them in their sitting room.
    I'm sure it's very common, but the guy learning from YouTube is gonna be learning little even if the techniques are real. If they do t know any better it's not their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I'm sure it's very common, but the guy learning from YouTube is gonna be learning little even if the techniques are real. If they do t know any better it's not their fault.

True they'll learn very little from a youtube video of a genuine practitioner too but the bullsh*tters are exceptionally fond of making youtube videos in my experience.

I'm just saying that the danger posed by, let's be nice, less than qualified martial arts instructors is no longer restricted to the inside of their so-called dojos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement