Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free pallets in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 11:10am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a couple of shipping pallets (non broken/rotten ones) to make some temporary furniture out of.

I was thinking Smithfield Fruit and Veg market - anyone know if they'd have spare pallets that you could take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yep Smithfield would be the spot. There is often pallets just left lying about or else just ask a trader to take some. Be aware though a lot of them are blue and not really good for furniture. You can also buy them off sellers on adverts.ie for around €5 each, doing it that way means you get to choose which can be a good thing as quality can vary a lot.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good to know, thanks. Might head down on Saturday morning then to see if there are any available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The blue pallets are "owned" by a company and can not be given away.

I think technically euro pallets (plain wood) ones are too.

Did some research on it when fitting out some stuff in my gym a while back.

Ended up just paying for them because I needed quite a few, couldn't be sure of quality, and managed to get delivery thrown in too. Think it was €3/pallet.

Pretty happy with the results;

12043122_1045242202175224_1735067658393013143_n.jpg?oh=5ecf4090aa13a7f8672e3f38998a983b&oe=5724AB94&__gda__=1462542492_4273a0e09747ffa67b27b5399047d9e2

Few sheets of MDF with foam glued to them, wrapped in some fabric from ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The blue crap goes everywhere!

I know there's a place at the Red Cow (next door to Bluebell Utds football pitch) which buys pallets, so I'm assuming they sell them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Someone is after some free fire wood :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I was under the impression it's actually quite difficult to get any, since as mentioned, they are all just rented from Chep and the supplier will be fined for not returning them. Even then, if the pallets are in decent condition they are probably wanted for their actual purpose, so it's tough to get free ones in good shape.

Pretty slick, Hanley. Where did you buy yours?

I'm mainly looking for a couple to make a bed out of, although I figure given the sizes I'll have spare pieces which could be handy for bathroom storage or living room shelving or something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there are two outside my house if you want them. have idea what condition they are in. they are waiting to go in a skip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Blue ones are Chep.

Plain ones are usually free for all.
    give Homebase or Woodies a call. They usually have stacks of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought they were worth around a fiver each

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Chep pallets are better quality and tend to be used in food storage facilities as they don't splinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chep pallets are better quality and tend to be used in food storage facilities as they don't splinter.

You won't get them free - or at all if rules are followed

Picked up five EUR pallets and one lighter pallet last night from a place in the Dublin Industrial Estate who were doing a clear out of their warehouse. The pallets are heat-treated and were used to ship foodstuffs too so shouldn't have any worries about them being chemically contaminated, although I guess I may need to be wary of bacteria in them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Would be very surprised if you'll get any in half decent condition free or that cheap, We get animal feed delivered on pallets and we're charged for the pallet every time, We're credited the price of a pallet when we send one back with the delivery driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ohmplate

Go around the back in any retail park that will let you and it's open season on pallets. Lots or euro pallets around. There's lads making a killing collecting them and selling them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

If you are reusing pallets look for a stamp, called IPPC Stamp. There are two main things to watch for on the stamp:
    • The IPPC Logo: if you don't see it, don't use it! Even if a pallet may be perfectly safe without this logo, it could also mean that it was treated with chemicals!
    • The treatment code : [HT] = Heat treatment / [MB] = Methyl Bromide / [DB] = Debarked / [KD] = Kiln Dried
    Most countries ban the use of MB treated pallets or but not China.

Do not burn, Do not use indoors and don't use anywhere where they would come in contact with food.

PS the reason pallets are treated is to kill beatles, eggs or larve of beatles

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the reason pallets are treated is to kill beatles, eggs or larve of beatles
    :eek: Even Julian Lennon isn't safe!

Advertisement