Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 650 available later this week - Official Specs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Really odd spec. I dunno who they think it will appeal to. Its not sure if its a business phone of a media phone. Small battery and low spec CPU. I think MS are confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is it a step up on the 640?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is it a step up on the 640?

It has more internal storage 16GB vs 8GB. Which is no advantage on a WP. Also it has a AMOLED screen. Which people might prefer. In every other way its the same or worse than the 640. Worse CPU, GPU, Battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Re:650
    200 euros according to your link.
    A pit pricey for the budget model I assume that will come down a bit?
    This is the successor to the 640 which was successor to 635 right?
    So is this considered a budget phone?

I see Lumia 640 was 139 euro last year that reasonable
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/microsoft-shows-off-139-smartphone-1.2122926

I have a 635 which I got for 80 euros last year and is now on sale for 50 euros in places.

Which Lumia would I buy if my 635 packs in?

I find the naming/numbering conventions plus the sheer number of lumia phones confusing

The naming is a bit nuts and confusing at times.

Some people say the 650 is a more premium feeling phone, and it has a better screen. The 16GB of internal vs 8GB is another advantage. As WP10 seems to take up more space than WP8.1 I don't think the 16Gb is a huge deal myself. Most of the specs are better on the 640 though. The 640 is getting hard to find now. Loads used though.

I'd say the CPU in the 635 is faster than that in the 650. I'd wait to see benchmarks and how the phone is in real life maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Looks like Argos is going to sell these at 231.90€ (but does not seam to be in stock) and Microsoftstore.ie sells them for 229€ (all for the Single Sim model).

Had a look at the 650 in the three store (€199). Definitely is more premium and the screen is much nicer, brighter etc.

At 199 its too expensive IMO for the internal spec. Thats the price of a MotoG 3rd Gen, 2GB/16GB on amazon and I'd choose that instead.

While I like Windows Phone I'm finding WP10 (and the apps) just too unfinished to spend a lot of money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

can see this going to 130 or even lower within a few month

139 GBP on amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Any good deals out there at the moment on sim free. Looks like amazon are about 180-185, argos and microsoft listing as over 220.

My 830 is becoming more unusable by the day so looking for a cheap phone to tied me over until the surface phones eventually launch. So its either the 650 or I go into the murky world of android.

• Advertisement

I "downgraded" my 735 to a 650 because it was time to get something lighter with a bigger screen and I have not regretted it so far.

The plastic back of the 650 was flimsy but I changed it to a Mozo Cover and while that adds 9 grams it is now feels more stable and is easier to use.

While I feared that with loads of apps in the background it would take some time to swap between them, so far I have no issues, but I don't do videos / processor heavy stuff.

The display is nice for what I use (e-mail, office, messaging and the occasional short video clip) and it reacts very quickly to touch commands.

I found that with the 650 I'm getting better 4G coverage, where my 735 did not always get me 4G, the 650 does (it however does show it as L rather than 4G in the display).

Overall a good windows phone for entry level if you don't need Continuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

€155 in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Hi folks,

I am due an upgrade and have a query for you guys as a consequence. I can get the 950 for €199 and I can get this 650 for free.

I use a Surface Pro 4 and a Microsoft band sand hope to sync them all. Is it worth my while paying the money for a 950?

Being honest, the 650 seems under specced for a new phone?

Thanks guys,
    NBD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Still 149 showing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That's correct. It's down to €149 in Ireland ... £119 (sterling) for the UK.

My bad I miss read that as down 149 to 119.

Would you buy that or a Moto G for 150 or 180 for the 2/16 version.

anyone using the 650 - would you recommend it? I'm considering getting one for my daughter as her first phone before she starts secondary school next week.

I'm using it and I'm happy with it.

It has a nice big enough display and usually get's a good network for both voice and data (4G/L) with a good audio quality.

I have not seen any problems using more than one application at a time with no wait times if switching between apps but I don't play videos or games on it.

Battery lifetime depends on what you are running in the background, I'm syncing my Microsoft Band so my times are awfully, but if without the band you get good life times.

I'm not sure I would get a Windows phone now unless you are a techie and want to play with it. They are leaving the consumer phone market.

Kids would be better with an Android or iPhone.

• Advertisement

any of the decent androids I've looked at are currently too expensive - i can get a student discount on ms store on the 650.

No iphone - she has an ipod so no point having 2 apple devices.

Moto g4, 2/16 is 179 Argos. Moto g3, 1/8 is 120. Wileyfox swift 2/16 is in the middle.

I don't really like android. I prefer windows phone. But you have to consider it will lucky to survive as a niche business phone.

It would be false economy to buy one if ms drop it completely. Or if the kid can't get the apps they want. Or it's a buggy mess.

i got her a lumia 535 as a temporary solution - €20 in HMV of all places (old Meteor stock). if she still likes windows after a couple of months, i might get her the 650. if not, then the g4 should have dropped a bit in price by then.

lumia 650 has dropped to 130 euro on microsoft ireland store

Time to grab one while they are still exist. If you want one.

anyone get latest firmware yet?

Advertisement