Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Paulownia Elongata saplings ?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy 10 Paulownia Elongata trees. Since these tress are extremely fast growing ideally I would like to buy 1 foot tall saplings so that they will root properly when planted.

I've searched around online and cannot find anyone selling the tree (there are lots of places selling the seeds but I don't want to grow from seed). There are some shops selling a different Paulownia Tomentosa tree (but this is not the one we are after).

Any help finding a seller in Ireland (or the UK since I guess they could be sent over as saplings) would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance for any help/advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Try the major nurseries (SAP, Future Forests etc) and if they can't help you try contact a smaller nursery and ask them to order the trees you want. If they have to go out of the way to order them for you, expect to pay a bit more - not too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Sea point wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy 10 Paulownia Elongata trees. Since these tress are extremely fast growing ideally I would like to buy 1 foot tall saplings so that they will root properly when planted.

I've searched around online and cannot find anyone selling the tree (there are lots of places selling the seeds but I don't want to grow from seed). There are some shops selling a different Paulownia Tomentosa tree (but this is not the one we are after).

Any help finding a seller in Ireland (or the UK since I guess they could be sent over as saplings) would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance for any help/advice.

Did you locate these afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sea point

Yes

I had a few plants delivered by Larch Cottage Nurseries in the U.K. Email below:

plants@larchcottage.co.uk

Yes

I had a few plants delivered by Larch Cottage Nurseries in the U.K. Email below:

plants@larchcottage.co.uk

I've heard they don't grow well in irish or uk climates and that most die. Is this accurate or just bs?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sea point

I had heard the same thing so I ordered plats that are 1-2 years old. The more mature the less vulnerable they are to frost etc. Mine are doing well.

• Advertisement

I had heard the same thing so I ordered plats that are 1-2 years old. The more mature the less vulnerable they are to frost etc. Mine are doing well.

Good to know. I have just planted 150 arbora saplings hoping to have a turnaround for firewood in 6 years and to continue from there.
    There are 2 reasons I have bought the paulownia Tomentosa seeds. I am hoping to plant some around the house in the next month with the colour effect but also to have fire wood in 7/8 years or less.
    I am also planting hybrid willow for the same reason. I don't know how the willow or paulownia will work out but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wyrme

Hi, where did you source your hybrid willow?

Advertisement