Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do houses come on market?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

As people will have seen I am trying to buy a house at the moment. I had 2 properties in mind but both don't really look like runners anymore.

The main problem is there is absolutely nothing out there. I am looking in Meath and in the border area of Dublin as I will need to commute.

I went to look in Ratoath at the weekend but I have no idea why they have priced the houses so high, most of the houses are priced as if they are in the middle of Castleknock.

Anyway talked to a guy and he said that nothing comes on the market till March and don't stress, just keep an eye out and in March the market will be flooded? is this correct?

He also mentioned September(I Think) as the other main month. He says between that the estate agents are just trying to get there portfolio ready. So this month all the estate agents are just holding back properties.

Any idea if this is true?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So this month all the estate agents are just holding back properties.

Any idea if this is true?

I can't see how it would make any sense for an estate agent to hold back properties. In fact I can't see how it would even be the agents decision, surely that's something that only the vendors could decide.

On the pricing side, I presume the sellers have decided on a figure that they think the market will support. If a particular area is within reasonable commuting distance of Dublin, I would expect the price to reflect that which is what you appear to be discovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It isn't EA's that don't put houses on the market, it's the clients. and yes, Easter and Sept are seen as peak months. I think people don't want the house on the market for six months as it might seem stale, and so would aim to advertise at those two times.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I was talking to an estate agent in Jan who told me to wait for February ...

A lot of houses did come on market at the beginning of the month and i would expect more to come up in March but I don't see any huge flood of property in March. I think if they were ready to go in Feb they would have released them

I think a lot of people selling will try to get it out earlier rather than later in the year due to Central Bank exemptions being exhausted later in the year so the first half should have more supply than September this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bleary wrote: »
    I was talking to an estate agent in Jan who told me to wait for February ...

I'd imagine he's right, few people will think about putting a property on the market close to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its usually Feb and Sept as people have house ready and clean after Christmas or after summer holidays. I was looking for 3 years and the cycle was obvious enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Personally haven't seen anything new come on the market since October time in the areas I'm looking at. A few apartments but no family homes. Market was better last summer but we weren't ready then. Feb isn't over yet but I'm hoping it picks up a bit

Advertisement