Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lab pup - night time bedding etc?

• 15-02-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

We are collecting an 8 week old Labrador pup on Friday. He will have regular supervised access to our house but due to short term medical recommendations (for one of my family) he will need to sleep in our shed for at least the first 2 months.

The shed is steel sheet type (walls and roof) with a concrete floor. I have erected a dog pen (3m x 3m) inside the shed as I want him to have plenty of space but am unsure as to what bedding I should purchase. I am thinking either a wooden kennel or a plastic dog basket with cushion etc.

What would ye guys recommend and is there a high chance he wont use either of the above and just lie on the ground?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I wouldnt advise leaving an 8 week old puppy in a shed alone at night at all for a start.

And no, he wont just lie on the ground, it was -2 degrees last night, it would be far too cold. Is there heating in the shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Is he the only dog in your family? He is going to be miserable. Dogs sleep with their packs and puppies will want to sleep near their families. It isn't going to be good for the puppy's development to be shut away by himself at night. He will cry and howl. Can you arrange for him to be fostered for the time that your doctor wants him separated from the family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

I wouldnt advise leaving an 8 week old puppy in a shed alone at night at all for a start.

And no, he wont just lie on the ground, it was -2 degrees last night, it would be far too cold. Is there heating in the shed?

I wasnt suggesting that he should lie on the ground. What I meant was if I purchase either item, was there still a chance he wouldnt use it. There is power in the shed so heating will be arranged.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have purchased a crate also so sleeping in our house utility may be an option (at night) also if the shed is not a runner in your opinion. I want to do what's best for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

leex wrote: »
    I wasnt suggesting that he should lie on the ground. What I meant was if I purchase either item, was there still a chance he wouldnt use it. There is power in the shed so heating will be arranged.

Well theres always a chance but I would think it unlikely that a dog (especially a puppy) would lie on cold concrete over a comfortable bed.

Your bigger issue is that an 8 week old puppy is a baby and being left alone all night in a shed is going to be horribly stressful for him and traumatise him completely.

He is a baby, he will not be able to hold in his business all night for a start, plus he will be going from his mother and probably other pups to a silent lonely place - its just not a good idea at all. He will be terrified and miserable.

Can you not arrange to take him when your family medical issues are resolved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

We are collecting an 8 week old Labrador pup on Friday. He will have regular supervised access to our house but due to short term medical recommendations (for one of my family) he will need to sleep in our shed for at least the first 2 months.

The shed is steel sheet type (walls and roof) with a concrete floor. I have erected a dog pen (3m x 3m) inside the shed as I want him to have plenty of space but am unsure as to what bedding I should purchase. I am thinking either a wooden kennel or a plastic dog basket with cushion etc.

What would ye guys recommend and is there a high chance he wont use either of the above and just lie on the ground?

I have to say leaving an 8 week old puppy to sleep outside will cause he terrible stress not to mention its cold and he will be alone for the first time in his life - personally i think you you should put the puppies needs first and ask the breeder to keep him until your home situation is more suitable for a puppy... sleeping alone outside is not appropiate for such a young puppy

have you told the breeder your intentions? no decent breeder would allow you to take an 8 week old puppy for it to sleep outside - its just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated and totally taken on board. My original plan was to crate train him in our house. Sounds like I need to go back to that idea if possible and take the necessary precautions from a medical perspective. If it is not a runner for us in the short term, we have family living next door who will take care of him for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated and totally taken on board. My original plan was to crate train him in our house. Sounds like I need to go back to that idea if possible and take the necessary precautions from a medical perspective. If it is not a runner for us in the short term, we have family living next door who will take care of him for a few weeks.

My first thoughts when we got Hugo was, like you - to land him out back, in a shed. He's a dog, right? He'll be grand. He'll just sleep there. I was totally new to having a dog.

Then I did a whole heap of research, doggy psychology, crate training, toilet training, exercise, etc... And took loads of advice on board - pardon the pun.

Soon to be 5, Hugo (and his brother Jack) are the epitome of how 4 weeks of hard work (up at night for toilet breaks), investing in a crate, and having the dogs 'in the house' at night - have repaid us with a lifetime of well adjusted, confident, well behaved and trained 'family members'.

It could have easily have been a WHOLE different story, were it not for great (and experienced) advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

+1 for having him in the utilitiy rather than the shed.
    Leaving him in the shed - Labs are SO sociable - when he has just left his mother/litter would be VERY hard on him - no matter how nice a bed you give him out there. The first two months with you will be the real bonding time. If there are medical issues in the house, should you consider putting off having him until your house is back to normal and you are in a position to start off on the right foot with the puppy, and with the family? Eight weeks is actually the very minimum age to take a puppy from its mother - would the breeder consider having the puppy for a bit longer for you, considering there is a medical issue in the house?

The puppy will need to be brought out to the toilet last thing before bed. He probably will wake up very very early in the morning to go again - or you could bring him in the night if you want to avoid messes. There will inevitably be accidents in the night. Lots of newspapers under his bedding. VET BED is good - easy to wash, and quick to dry, and comfy for the dog.

For the first few nights, he is going to be scared and miserable - a ticking clock (resemble heartbeat) or a radio on low will help. Add a couple of little toys too. A heat pad (animal safe one) would be good if very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I think one of the other things to consider is what happens if the medical situation for your family member drags on a bit, or isn't as short term as you hoped/anticipated?

I have a lab who is approx 5 yrs old. We've had him over a year and he is incredibly bonded to us.

This time is both a golden opportunity to get the pup into the behaviours you want and time for the pup to bond with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Is there any particular reason you can't just wait until the medical issues are resolved?

Let somebody else adopt him and pick up a different pup when you are ready.

• Advertisement
Advertisement