Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna play the Mystery Wood identification game?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 2:53pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I made this (humble brag!) but I dunno what the wood in the base is and I'd really like to get more! Anyone have any ideas?

Suggestions so far include Zebrano (I don't think so though, it doesn't look as striped or as defined as the other Zebrano I have seen) or some variant of a fruit wood like Cherry.

CbQfY05W8AAGmdq.jpg:large

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Looks like lacewood or London plane. ? Its an acquired taste so you don't see much of it but its freely available as veneers.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think you got it in one with Lacewood... definitely looks like what I can see on Google for it! Thanks! Its very pretty wood and very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

If you got it here in Ireland it could be Holm Oak which also has that grain pattern. Have some pieces that look like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

woodturner wrote: »
    If you got it here in Ireland it could be Holm Oak which also has that grain pattern. Have some pieces that look like that.

Thats it! I used to be a gardener for a big estate and I put back good bits of timber for a local woodturner. We had both Plane trees (120ft tall) and Holm Oak (one with the largest diameter trunk in the UK depending on how you measured it). Anyway some of the Holm Oak branches turned up just like DeVores picture.

Advertisement