Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olive oil in hand luggage

Options
  • 15-02-2016 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Hitting Barcelona next week. Want to bring back the usual meats, cheese and paprika but will they take a decent bottle of oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

RasTa wrote: »
    Hitting Barcelona next week. Want to bring back the usual meats, cheese and paprika but will they take a decent bottle of oil?

Once it's over 100ml they'll take it, all your liquids have to fit in a bag of 1l. If you can get in 100ml bottles bring a carry on 1l bag and fill that, but then you can't bring any other liquids back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

RasTa wrote: »

hi Rasta!

buy it once through security. That's the only way you'll get to bring some home unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RasTa wrote:

If you are checking in a bag, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

If you're checking in a bag you'd be able to pack it in that. It'd have to be in 100ml bottles for hand luggage.

Edit: just realised the title refers specifically to hand luggage so ignore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Even if you decide to check a bag Aer Lingus will only allow you to carry a maximum of 1l of olive per suitcase so no harm to keep that in mind.

• Advertisement

Even if you decide to check a bag Aer Lingus will only allow you to carry a maximum of 1l of olive per suitcase so no harm to keep that in mind.

Never heard that. How do they enforce it? Does it only apply to olive oil?

First Up wrote:
    Never heard that. How do they enforce it? Does it only apply to olive oil?

The same way they enforce all other cabin baggage regulations. Just because you don't see your cabin bags going through the scanner doesn't mean that they don't.

And no, it applies to all cooking oils.

The same way they enforce all other cabin baggage regulations. Just because you don't see your cabin bags going through the scanner doesn't mean that they don't.

And no, it applies to all cooking oils.

Are you talking about checked baggage or hand luggage?

First Up wrote:
    Are you talking about checked baggage or hand luggage?

Hand luggage limit is 100ml

Cabin baggage limit for oil is 1litre (depending on airline).

So do you know of incidents when a checked bag was taken off a flight because the security scanner showed it contained oilive oil?

By the way, the terms hand luggage and cabin baggage mean the same thing. Bags that go in the hold are called checked baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The limit seems to still be multiple 100ml bottles, just in case anyone thought this was a overall 100ml limit.

So you could buy 5x100ml bottles and put them in it. The bag is meant to be 1L in size so would not get 10x100ml bottles in.

I once copped on I had suncream in a 500ml bottle, so got the free bags there and then and filled them all equally and was let through, the security woman said she never saw it done before and praised the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

rubadub wrote: »
    I once copped on I had suncream in a 500ml bottle, so got the free bags there and then and filled them all equally and was let through, the security woman said she never saw it done before and praised the idea!

In the US and most other airports I've been through, that would work only if the bags you used for refilling held no more than 100ml each, no matter how much you put in each one. I have seen someone have to throw away less than 100ml of something because it was a half-full 150ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Speedwell wrote: »
    that would work only if the bags you used for refilling held no more than 100ml each,
    If they tried that on me I would have tied knots in the bags and ripped the excess off.

There is a wiki page about this type of nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cabin baggage is the same thing as hand luggage. The limit is 100ml per bottle, multiple bottles allowed.

Mellor wrote:
    Cabin baggage is the same thing as hand luggage. The limit is 100ml per bottle, multiple bottles allowed.

As long as they all fit into a 1 litre bag. The OP does seem confused about the difference between cabin/hand luggage and checked (hold) baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I flew out of BCN on Sunday. They have olive oil in duty free. There is also a fridge near the whiskey with chorizo, ham and other tasty things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I got black truffle paste through, cheese, paprika and wagyu burgers as well. Bought olive oil in the airport alright although would have liked to sample first.

Love that city. The way they do Calamari, Octopus or even the bread with tomato and salt.

We need to copy their food culture...

Advertisement