Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 6 coke damage

• 15-02-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I stupidly spilled some coke over my iphone 6 and the volume down button & speaker have stopped working as a result. the rest of the buttons, camera etc seem to be as normal but as you can imagine I am pissed off with myself.

Is there anything i can do to get the buttons working again, I imagine coke is a lot less forgiving inside the phone than water would be. If it helps the phone is less than a year old so still inside the one year warranty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Warranty is well and truly gone now.
    Only options really are get it repaired in a local place or send it off to Apple. The apple route will cost over €300 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

It should be stripped apart and cleaned. coke is very corrisive and if left unwashed, will eventually just eat away at the metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

More than likely a strip down and clean with ethanol / contact cleaner will actually solve the problem. youd be very unlucky for it to have murdered the board. But never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Echoing sKeith, Coke is beyond acid to the board. Get it scrubbed down quick and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

oh Coke.. I tough other type of Coke.. how could it be damaged by it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Asmooh wrote: »
    oh Coke.. I tough other type of Coke.. how could it be damaged by it

Coke (cola drink) is acidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sKeith wrote: »
    Coke (cola drink) is acidic.

+1 There's heaps of videos up on Youtube showing people using Coke to remove rust and to clean brass and even flilthy loos.

This guy partially immersed a brass bell in Coke for 15 minutes .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Snort it off first then wipe with a tissue and all will be well in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

thanks for all the serious replies lads,

update on this I brought it down to a well known repair shop in Galway city and paid to have it stripped and cleaned, collected it today, was told its back funtioning as normal and it seemed to be working as usual for a few hours until the screen started flickering and eventually died. will be returning to them again tomorrow to see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

update on this I brought it down to a well known repair shop in Galway city and paid to have it stripped and cleaned, collected it today, was told its back funtioning as normal and it seemed to be working as usual for a few hours until the screen started flickering and eventually died. will be returning to them again tomorrow to see what they say

Just for future reference, can you let me know which repair shop in Galway that you used? PM if you don't want to name them in public. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

Good luck but if the screen has died I'd say it's game over for that phone. Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

squonk wrote: »
    Good luck but if the screen has died I'd say it's game over for that phone. Sorry to hear that.

hopefully not, when I plug it into my mac it recognises the phone but asks for me to insert my passcode, which I cant do as the screen is unresponsive. :rolleyes:

when i brought it into the repair shop they had no iphone 6 screens in stock to check to see if it is just my screen that is broke, so Ive a long wait until monday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

If it that the buttons are sticking, this happen to me. A 'friend ' spilt a can of monster on my new iP6+. The home and sleep button were not working the next day. The sugar hardened and the buttons would not work.

The fix for was to use Ipa (pure alcohol ) and wet wipe the area and press the buttons. The alcohol broke down the sugar and I have not had any issue since.

Note: IPA is used all the time in the computer industry to clean screens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭castykidd

Yeah i do iphone repairs and IPA is the best way to go . take it a step further and use a ultrasonic bath also to make sure to get rid of every drop

Advertisement