Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20k Walking Challenges

Options
  • 15-02-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Hoping for some advice. The other half and I are hoping to improve health and fitness etc and are looking at walking events we could do together. Hoping to train for a 20k walk some time in the summer. We're hopeful of something that doesn't have a huge entry fee (up to €30/€35 or so) and doesnt require us to fundraise.

Something in the Dublin area ideally.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm unclear what it is ye want to do? is it take part in an organised walk? Or just want a 20k walk?

For instance it's 9.2km from Clontarf road dart station ot Sutton Cross. out and back is almost 20 km, a little extra effort at either end gives 20km.
    It's dead flat and mostly not right beside the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I'm unclear what it is ye want to do? is it take part in an organised walk? Or just want a 20k walk?

For instance it's 9.2km from Clontarf road dart station ot Sutton Cross. out and back is almost 20 km, a little extra effort at either end gives 20km.
    It's dead flat and mostly not right beside the road.

Yes, sorry i wasn't that clear. An organised event like a charity would put on or something. Like the darkness into light, but longer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Are you looking for a flat walk or something with a big of a climb? If you don't walk much, take it easy at the start, your knees will thank you for it :).

Howth is a good walk, there's a few loops you can chose from. They are rated from easy to moderate I believe. They are looped walks and very nice. Starting at 6Km for the cliff walk and the longest is 12km Bog of the Frogs that one is called I believe.

There's Brey to Greystones (ok so not Dublin, but you can get the Dart out to Brey). I think this is about 10km and it's classed as easy/moderate.

Clontarf to Sutton is another really nice walk. It's just under 10km, but absolutely flat so it's incredibly easy.

Head to the Dublin mountains for something a little more challenging. Ticnock or Cruah woods. There's a couple of 5km loops and then there's the Hellfire Club. Actually, there's a ton of walks down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Have a look at the Harbour to Harbour walk, Howth to Dun L. It's on every year on St. Patrick's Day and is 16 miles. It's a bit sooner than you wanted and a little longer but I reckon you have time to build up to it.

Advertisement