Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer upgrade... half now.. half later?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Hi Yall

So what I want to do is upgrade my computer so I can play games... however right now for work and everyday usage (designing, coding, multimedia) it's still so fast it feels like a shame to upgrade it in a way, because then I'll never use it again when it's a perfectly good computer.

Anyway... I don't have enough cash right now to drop on a brand new top of the line components to build out a new PC. So I'm thinking right now I just
    1) Buy a 980 Ti
    2) Buy a new PSU to power it
    3) Stick it in my existing setup below

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    Mobo: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-D3H
    RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
    HDD: SSD

I thought for now if I throw in a 980Ti I should be able to at least run it for a couple months while I get together the cash for a new case, mobo, cpu, ram, gsync monitor.

What do you reckon? Am I stupid? (or at least more stupid than I already realise :)

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's your current PSU and what games do you want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Current PSU I can't be arsed checking, but it's a Corsair Gold something (was a really top of the range one 4 years ago).
    Anyways I'll probably have to upgrade the PSU cus my own probably doesn't have hte right power connections. I'll check that before I buy the card. However I don't need any advice on the PSU right now. I can figure that out.

My main concern is my current Mobo + CPU and can that run a 980 Ti and be okay to play the games I want on my monitor.

What games, all of them, esp the latest ones. Division, Tomb Raider etc.

My current monitor is a 2560x1440

Just keen on peoples thoughts on running this setup for 2-3 months while I gather cash for upgrading the CPU+MOBO+RAM

I want to get a 2560x1440 G-Sync monitor in the future for my desk and also string a 5 meter HDMI cable to the 4K UHD telly and play some games playable with a controller on the sofa for when I'm tried of being hunched over a keyboard and mouse, or when I want to play with friends taking turns or whatever.

So the GTX 980 Ti is a must. A PSU is a maybe but I can deal with that at the time.

Desktop monitor 2560x1440 plus Z77 mobo + i5 3570K + 16GB DDR3 + GTX 980 Ti ... is it going to be okay most likely or am I retarded?

The CPU and ram you have is perfect, and will be for years. At that res a 980Ti is a good shout, if yoiuve a 600w with the right connection then the card is all yoiull have to add

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

EDITED FOR CLAIRITY :)

Yea man I thought it should be good.

My current mobo is PCIe 3.0 x16
    New mobo I was looking at getting is also PCIe 3.0 x16... so means my board PCI Express slot should be okay.

My PSU is Corsair AX750 so that should be grand too. (If it's not I'll buy a new one or get a cable adaptor, no worries)
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-ax750-power-supply-review/

So I will buy a GXT 980 Ti and I'll think about upgrading my mobo + cpu + ram to the setup below which costs about €700
    Asrock X99E-ITX
    Intel Core i5-6600K
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB

The question is will upgrading my current mobo + cpu + ram to the above components for €700 be really noticeable or will I have kicked myself for blowing seven hundy.

Can you repost that, knowing what you know now because I can't follow that at all :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Asrock X99E-ITX
    Intel Core i5-6600K
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB

The question is will upgrading my current mobo + cpu + ram to the above components for €700 be really noticeable or will I have kicked myself for blowing seven hundy.

You'll certainly be kicking yourself for buying a socket 2011 motherboard and a 1151 CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

StickyIcky wrote: »

Your current CPU is great, just OC it for a huge boost.
    Get the 980ti for now, then sell it whenever polaris or pascal are released and with the money from that sale + the E700 you were thinking of spending on mobo/cpu you can sli or crossfire 2 of whatever the fancy new E500 card is and have a setup to match the 4k screen and a great amount of power for your next big spend - VR!

You'd save a couple hundred by going AMD+freesync rather than gsync, but you may be brand loyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You really don't need the CPU/mobo/RAM bit.

The new RAM you're looking at is basically identical to the stuff you have (performance-wise), with a heatspreader. Hardly worth €100.
    The CPU and motherboard will be a bump in performance for certain things, sure. Not for games.

What GPU have you got at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm going to play devils advocate on the cpu argument.
    My 2500k @ 4.8 ghz is hitting 100% usage on some new games mainly GTA 5 and the Witcher 3(in Novigrad)
    I get slight dips in frame rates under these circumstances using a gtx 770, I expect this problem would be more apparent on a gtx 980 ti.

As you can see there you can expect between 10 and 20 fps dips on your ivy bridge in cpu intensive games compared to skylake.
    Not a big deal for most people but your not most people if you're willing to spend €650 on a gpu.
    So while it's not night and day in performance terms skylake is the biggest step up in performance intel have introduced since sandy bridge back in 2011. If you were to upgrade cpu now would be a good time to do it.
    I hope the figures help you make a decision. :)

Advertisement