Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading an ageing PC. Do I need my old video card?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi

I'd appreciate some advice

I am upgrading an ageing PC which I purchased back in 2007. I like the case and the power supply is sufficient for what I want (600w). I am replacing the motherboard, CPU and memory.

At present the PC has a GeForce 8800 GTX which was a top of the range Video card in it's day. It doesn't have a HDMI interface but has DVI.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-8800-gtx

My new motherboard has a HDMI interface.

Given that I am not a gamer what I'm wondering is whether it is worth continuing to use the GeForce or has it had it's day? Or is the GeForce still much superior to the motherboard's HDMI interface. My the way the new motherboard is a Asrock H97 anniversary.

My monitor has both DVI and HDMI interfaces so that is not an issue.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Do you have the haswell CPU or you're getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi thanks for reply.

Due to necessity I am keeping my costs to a minimum. S I am getting an Intel Pentium G3258 CPU. It is not a high-performance CPU but it will be sufficient for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pretty sure the 8800 is faster than Intel 4000, but for regular uses, Intel 4000 is fine anyways

Advertisement