Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie refusing 147?....... right or wrong?

• 15-02-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Ronnie O'Sullivan has said that he could have got on the black today to make a 147 but refused it because there was only £10,000 for a maxi. Was he right or wrong?

Interesting to see peoples views on this

Was O'Sullivan right to refuse making a 147? 23 votes

Yes a 147 deserves more prize money
    0%
    No he should have made it for the fans
    100%
    dougalrunawaybishopGlenmanTristramSlippin Jimmygamblor101zac8foggy_ladeire1irish_goatmrsoundiepajero12K3vmartyos121byronbay2bucketybuckCarefulNow!Gallagher1Stephen88Arne_Saknussem 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I'm conflicted about it. Part of me respects the bald-faced audacity of it, but a bigger part of me thinks it's unfair on the fans there watching.

Do I think it will make a blind bit of difference in changing the prize money on offer for a 147? No chance, knowing how Barry Hearn operates.

What it might do is turn some fans against Ronnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I think the fund is incremental and was won recently.

Could have given the money to a good charity.

I know they don't make the same amount of money as, say, top golfers, but for a lot of them the prestige of achievement motivates more than money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It's odd. I mean Ronnie does snooker legends now. He came over to play in goffs the week after the masters. I was trying to guess what his fee might have been, but it was less than 10 grand. I'm sure if a 147 was on in an exibition he'd go for it. So I don't think he is money mad you know. I just think Ronnie is generally taking the piss, and sure so what. He is a genuine legend, has his own quirks you have to go with the flow with him. It's not like he is really misbehaving by playing a match with his left hand, turning down maximums etc. I think we just accept him and enjoy watching him for whatever number of years he has left playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I think he is getting too arrogant. I enjoy watching him play and everything, but I think the other poster is correct. It may turn some fans against him. At the end of the day, the game is much more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Ardent

I kind of get why he did it, but it was disrespectful to the fans. As the frame progressed they were getting more and more excited in the auditorium -- but then you could have heard a pin drop when he potted the pink LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ardent wrote: »
    I kind of get why he did it, but it was disrespectful to the fans. As the frame progressed they were getting more and more excited in the auditorium -- but then you could have heard a pin drop when he potted the pink LOL.

Disrespectful to the fans...:confused:....Lost all respect for him now..what an arrogant tosser..really shows what type of person he has become...10k would have helped a lot of charities/hospices..hope he never gets ill..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

I thought it was very arrogant and it has turned me against him. Professional Sports people don't have a right to money - the sport has to earn it and they have to earn a cut of the money in the sport. If there is not enough money in the sport for him then he should try something else. The people in the are the difference between it being an amateur and a professional sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Ronnie is there to win the frame. How he chooses to go about it is up to him.
    Having a look there are less than 20 146 breaks (may not be a reliable source) and there have been many 147's.

The first 146 break in the history of the Crucible was made in 2010. The first 147 was in 1983.

It's a rarer feat and something a little more quirky than a standard 147 clearance and in this case will stay in the memory longer given the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Fair dues to him, it would have been much easier for him to make the 147, please the fans and pocket the cash. Instead he made a point to the authorities on behalf of ALL professional snooker players that there needs to be more of professional snooker's income going to the players. He was doing it for the lower-ranked, young or up-and-coming players who struggle now to make a living as professional snooker players. O'Sullivan is a multi-millionaire and doesn't need the £10K (unlike most players) - he made the brave choice to turn down the money to made a wider point on behalf of all his colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He should have done the max,donated the money to the paul hunter familly,would have worked out great for everyone

• Advertisement

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Fair dues to him, it would have been much easier for him to make the 147, please the fans and pocket the cash. Instead he made a point to the authorities on behalf of ALL professional snooker players that there needs to be more of professional snooker's income going to the players. He was doing it for the lower-ranked, young or up-and-coming players who struggle now to make a living as professional snooker players. O'Sullivan is a multi-millionaire and doesn't need the £10K (unlike most players) - he made the brave choice to turn down the money to made a wider point on behalf of all his colleagues.

I didn't see anything in Ronnie's statement after the match that he was doing it for the other professionals.

His point seems to be that the money on offer wasn't of interest to him, and that he would like to see it build up a bit more and then he'd do it.

Seems like a selfish rationale to me, rather than a selfless one.

The only slight positive outcome from his action is that it has made some headlines for snooker, but that's about as much of an affect it will have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Is there any other thread on the Welsh open. I see Doherty is doing well. He has qualified for round 3 today with a 4-3 win over David Gilbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Willie Thorne's reaction in the commentary box was priceless, great moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Stephen88 wrote: »
    Ronnie O'Sullivan has said that he could have got on the black today to make a 147 but refused it because there was only £10,000 for a maxi. Was he right or wrong?

Interesting to see peoples views on this

I would do a 147 for €5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Right or wrong he's got the whole sporting world talking about snooker again and that can only be good for the game.
    As a person Ronnie's a bit of a tool,I've been in his company and ran an exhibition with him and found him to be a bit strange.But we all knew that already but the guy is box office,theres no denying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

feargale wrote: »
    I would do a 147 for €5.

I'd attempt a 5 for €147...

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is the Welsh Open being broadcast on BBC or is it just on Eurosport? Getting a bit sick of Eurosport's commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What did it mean to me.

Baiscally that Ronnie is so rich he can turn down a guaranteed 10k.

That is all.

I've softened a bit on him turning down the 147. It's all just part of his eccentric character I guess.

In the Masters, he was complaining about his back, not being able to line up a shot, wondering how long he has left in the game etc.

A couple of weeks later, he's potting everything in sight and turning down 147's.

The guy is surely a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but if nothing else he's entertaining and we are unlikely to see his likes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

byronbay2 wrote: »

What a load of absolute tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ding had no problem with doing a max

Well done Ding. Wahooooooo:-):-):-). I guarantee the audience members there will remember this. To be fair. I think little Ronnie is forgetting about the important people. The fans.....Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fish out of water

Ding did well with 147
    12k in the pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

At the end of the day, the game is much more than him.

All he did was decide to go for the 146 instead. It hardly changes his standing in the game either way.

Bruthal wrote: »
    All he did was decide to go for the 146 instead. It hardly changes his standing in the game either way.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on him. I still think it might change how some fans see him though. I'd say most snooker fans like to see a 147. Anyway. I'm sure there will be something new to chat about in April:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I still think it might change how some fans see him though.

It probably will. But to be able to play like its a practice session when the 147 is on at that stage, and go for the 146 instead, just adds to it I think. Most of the other players would be under big pressure there with the maximum looming.

No doubt the crowd would have been expecting the 147 at that stage though. If I was there, I would have found it more amusing than annoying.

Im sure some probably were not too impressed though. Take the good with the bad though, regardless of opinions on o`sullivan v hendry etc, no one has ever played the game like he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Ronnies performance is this championship was extraordinary. The 146 and his game against Selby, and his comeback against Robinson.

The poll should have another entry ie "was it right for Ronnie". I would have ticked that one.

You often here it time and again. Players play flawlessly in practice but can't emulate it on the match table. Wasn't it Steve Davis who said "If you can play when it means nothing, when it means everything...".

Ronnie has realised because of his age he's got nothing to loose, so has clearly decided to play 'as if means nothing', in a way releasing himself of the 'pressure' and playing as if he's at an exhibition. He said as much in interview.

Barry Hearn tries to change the look and feel of the game by introducing players as if it were at a boxing match, and all that, but that's all superficial if players like Robinson are still trying to emulate the Steve Davis style by humming and hawing over every shot, to be as precise as possible and quite frankly 'posing' on every shot.

The look on Selby's face when he was thrashed by Ronnie was priceless. He didn't know what hit him because of Ronnies new attitude.
    It wouldn't surprise me that Ronnie looks back on Selbys comeback in the world championship ,which he has to be very sore about, and wonders that if he just played a little bit more carefree and went for his shots when he had the lead that he would have won that match and would have had another world championship under his belt. He's clearly gagging to match Hendrys record and I believe he believes he can still do it, and I believe he can too.

So, Robinson missed easy balls because he knew how Ronnie was playing. The 146 incident exemplified Ronnies new 'carefree' attitude. And there is noting stopping any other player copying him if they want. I actually respect Ronnie more now that I did in the past as he does come across as being a bit of a *osser ( not as much as A.Higgins though), but fair play to him for his performance in the Welsh open, he was totally refreshing to watch, extraordinary even, and I hope he continues on in the same vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stephen88

Doherty V Taylor exhibition featuring John Virgo & Michaela Tabb.
    Saturday April 2nd in the Greville Arms Hotel, Mullingar.

Tickets from Hotel reception or online at ticketstop.ie

Should be a great night with these legends

Advertisement