Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed nameservers but site not visible

Options
  • 15-02-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I recently bought hosting from GoDaddy. I have hosting and a domain on register365 and I want to move the domain from register365 to GoDaddy (it is a .org domain).
    I asked register365 how to do this and they gave me instructions on how to update the names of the nameservers (primary and secondary) from register365's to GoDaddy's. This was done on the register365 control panel. I found out the name of the GoDaddy nameservers (primary and secondary) . I did the update and entered the site to whois to find out if the nameserver had been updated. After 48 hours I saw that it has been updated to the GoDaddy nameservers.
    However my site is not displaying when I enter it in a browser. So I tried added the domain in myGoDaddy hosting but in "domain manager" it says it is "using external nameservers".
    The domain still appears in the list of my domains in the register365 control panel. Surely it should not be there?
    One other thng I tried is I changed the ip address associated with the "A" record of the domain in the control panel in register365 to the ip address that my domains on GoDaddy have but that made no difference either.
    Is there more to moving a domain from one hosting to another than just changing the nameservers?
    Any replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 joe_joe_jo

changing nameserver wont really change the domain to another provider.
    It just point to the server where website is hosted.

I am not familiar with goDaddy hosting, there will be an option to add website for external domains.
    When you browse your page is it showing some parking page from goDaddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

joe_joe_jo wrote: »
    changing nameserver wont really change the domain to another provider.
    It just point to the server where website is hosted.

I am not familiar with goDaddy hosting, there will be an option to add website for external domains.
    When you browse your page is it showing some parking page from goDaddy?

No, it just tries to find it and times out and gives me gives me "server not found". The domain is still listed as registered to me in whois. I would ask register365 but based on past experiences they wil just tell me that updating the names servers should have fixed it. I found the option to add website for external domains in GoDaddy (https://ie.godaddy.com/help/add-off-site-dns-20165)like you advised.
    When I entered the domain it gave me the primary and secondary nameservers that have to be entered in the existing hosting for this domain. They are different to the ones I entered so maybe that is the problem. I changed them on register365's control panel and now I'll wait and see if the site display's after a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Three things:
    1 - discussing hosting companies on boards.ie is generally not allowed
    2 - if you registered the domain via Register365 / Names.co.uk then unless you've moved the registration it's still with them
    3 - if you're having issues setting up a domain with GoDaddy you should talk to them. They know how their systems work and what settings you need to change etc.,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement